daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #4341
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8231

hope soon it can progress upwards again in the speed we had before
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #4342
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6524

could be that the concrete will stop with the next jump like it happened at Tianjin Goldin. After that they should install the climbing structure on top of the steel
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #4343
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28145

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
hope soon it can progress upwards again in the speed we had before
still a lot of visible progress with that steel. You won't see me complain about the speed here.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:43 AM   #4344
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Not just cheap labor. Qualified labor too. Some manufacturers tried relocating to Indonesia and Vietnam once Chinese workers got 'too expensive'. They came back to China because the conditions in other countries were not good enough. Primarily transport infrastructure and labor pool along with skills.

The story of cheap China is so 90's and, as a matter of fact, it has already pretty much ended. Wages/salaries have been rising 20-30% a year for the past few years. There are many other drivers that attract investment and manufacturing (not talking of textile or sports shoes here). I suggest reading this.
Redefining Chinese labour as 'Not Cheap' because people want to work for 4000 Yuan a month and not 3000 Yuan a month is misleading.

China is moving up the PPP Per Capita ladder and this year will be middle class and enter the Middle Income Trap Zone as the Lewis Turning Point is reached.

Labour in China is still much cheaper than in all but the poorest of the developing nations.
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #4345
NNshenzhen

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Hand View Post
Redefining Chinese labour as 'Not Cheap' because people want to work for 4000 Yuan a month and not 3000 Yuan a month is misleading.

China is moving up the PPP Per Capita ladder and this year will be middle class and enter the Middle Income Trap Zone as the Lewis Turning Point is reached.

Labour in China is still much cheaper than in all but the poorest of the developing nations.
You're right, but keep in mind that even in several East Europe countries, 4000 RMB which is 500 Euro, is considered quite OK starting salary for a worker. So, in that sense, coastal Chinese cities are at least at East Europe salary level right now, and for some prestigious jobs, in fact, at the Western level - like some Huawei engineers taking avg RMB 30,000 per month

China Hand liked this post
NNshenzhen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #4346
China Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNshenzhen View Post
You're right, but keep in mind that even in several East Europe countries, 4000 RMB which is 500 Euro, is considered quite OK starting salary for a worker. So, in that sense, coastal Chinese cities are at least at East Europe salary level right now, and for some prestigious jobs, in fact, at the Western level - like some Huawei engineers taking avg RMB 30,000 per month
Yes. However this highlights something that I encounter in China often.

Those in the Big Coastal Cities think the entire rest of China is the same.

Far from it. Shanghai is like New York City. The rest of China is like Honduras with varying degrees in-between based on province, city, city size and local political influence with Beijing.

Just because wage price pressure is occurring in 6 coastal areas, that does NOT imply that the rest of China is in a similar situation.

Still many years of labour arbitrage to work out.
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #4347
DJaCoNdA
Staring at the World

Likes (Received): 141

The GIANT is rising!
Old March 1st, 2013, 07:59 AM   #4348
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

what does 300-4000 youn worth in american dollars, also 4000 rumble? Probably not a hell of a enough to such a high demanding "dangerous job;"
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:05 AM   #4349
DoubleU

Likes (Received): 413

A lot of progress on the north side of the tower. They were done with fixing the two big girdes already yesterday and till this morning they've done a lot of the smaller steel beams (connceted to the core and girder)! I am trying to bring my cam the next few days and take some shoots of different angles.
DoubleU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:02 AM   #4350
China Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
What does 3000-4000 Yuan worth in US dollars, also 4000 roubles? Probably not a hell of a enough to such a high demanding "dangerous job;"
Most people don't understand relative purchasing power.

Online young men who earn $3 say they would kill to earn $10 an hour, but they don't realise that in the country where they earn $10 an hour their expenses have risen often more than 3.33Xtimes. Coffee is 10 Euros in Geneva, etc.

If you took that 4000 Yuan and converted it at today's rate of 6.25 it's 640 USD which won't pay your rent in most of the USA. Americans see that, or the figure that billions live on $1 a day, think of what $1 a day would buy in the USA and assume all of those people are living in the gutter.

They would be wrong.

4000 Yuan a month will get you this in most of China besides the top 5 cities:

-A large apartment of 110m2 for 600-1200 a month
-Internet of 50 a month
-Electricity of 100 a month
-All your common services, trash, building maintenance, the elevator, the security guard: 50 a month
-A food budget that is more than ample of 600 a month
-bus fares of 200 a month
-no taxes at that level
-leaving nearly 2,000 a month to save, buy a smartphone, buy a motorcycle, save for university, wedding, car, eating out, imported food, etc.

In 3 years of that low paying job the person could save enough to buy a car with cash, an iPhone 5, a personal computer, and nice furnishings for the 110m apartment.

cfredo, KillerZavatar liked this post
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:28 AM   #4351
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Hand View Post
Most people don't understand relative purchasing power.

Online young men who earn $3 say they would kill to earn $10 an hour, but they don't realise that in the country where they earn $10 an hour their expenses have risen often more than 3.33Xtimes. Coffee is 10 Euros in Geneva, etc.

If you took that 4000 Yuan and converted it at today's rate of 6.25 it's 640 USD which won't pay your rent in most of the USA. Americans see that, or the figure that billions live on $1 a day, think of what $1 a day would buy in the USA and assume all of those people are living in the gutter.

They would be wrong.

4000 Yuan a month will get you this in most of China besides the top 5 cities:

-Internet of 50 a month
-Electricity of 100 a month
-All your common services, trash, building maintenance, the elevator, the security guard: 50 a month
-A food budget that is more than ample of 600 a month
-bus fares of 200 a month
-no taxes at that level
-leaving nearly 2,000 a month to save, buy a smartphone, buy a motorcycle, save for university, wedding, car, eating out, imported food, etc.

In 3 years of that low paying job the person could save enough to buy a car with cash, an iPhone 5, a personal computer, and nice furnishings for the 110m apartment.
I get it, if I retire to china stay away from the big 5 and I' live like a KING? Correct
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:43 AM   #4352
cfredo

Likes (Received): 1334

Well, that depends on when you are going to retire and how developed those second or third tier cities are by then.

patrykus liked this post
cfredo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:22 AM   #4353
mthmchris

Likes (Received): 52

The points on PPP are pretty salient, but...

Quote:
Wat?

Not in Shenzhen...
"It may be that we have become so feckless as a people that we no longer care how things do work, but only what kind of quick, easy outer impression they give. If so, there is little hope for our cities or probably for much else in our society. But I do not think this is so."
mthmchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:00 AM   #4354
harry·chao

Likes (Received): 583

ping'an IFC in the background

jackedi07, little universe liked this post

Last edited by harry·chao; March 3rd, 2013 at 02:38 PM.
harry·chao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:01 AM   #4355
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Preparing for launch...
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:03 AM   #4356
harry·chao

by crazyboyxyz

Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:42 AM   #4357
cfredo

@harry chao
Judging from their position those tall twin towers on the left of Ping An are on the plot of the Ping An side tower. Just placeholders or did they changed the single side tower to twin towers?
Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:05 AM   #4358
harry·chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfredo View Post
@harry chao
Judging from their position those tall twin towers on the left of Ping An are on the plot of the Ping An side tower. Just placeholders or did they changed the single side tower to twin towers?
the twins tower on the left of PA IFC,one is for south tower of PA,the other one is the reserve land for another tower.

but which's that tower? Time will tell,maybe few years or so

Old March 3rd, 2013, 12:56 PM   #4359
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15902

Hopefully another supertall

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 12:58 PM   #4360
cfredo

Yeah, I wouldn't mind those twin towers in the render (they look like supertalls).

The thing I don't like about Ping An's plot, is the side with CocoPark and residential highrises. It's a situation similar with Shanghai Tower: On one side of the street a megatall and on the other side a not really classy residential highrise. Towers like ST or Ping An should be surrounded by classy towers with at least 200m in height! Otherwise the skyline looks like cut off from a certain point of view.

Last edited by cfredo; March 3rd, 2013 at 01:04 PM.

Tags
futian district, pafc, ping an finance center, shenzhen, supertall