daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 19th, 2013, 03:10 AM   #4481
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 330

Yeah I figured it got moved pretty fast. Now, let's say if all the concrete is bad, would the steel plates have enough strength to hold themselves together if they had to strip all concrete off the core in the worst case (a re-do)? I'm imagining that a more realistic approach would be additional reinforcement at the base around the core, but since this concrete is spread everywhere, I suppose that's the job of the QA people to determine how bad and where it is, structurally.

Again as was well said, you'd think they would've gone to great lengths to ensure that quality was top notch on a structure like this. You don't just cut corners on a building 2,000+ feet high.

Guess we can only wait and see.
The-Real-Link está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2013, 04:59 AM   #4482
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3247

Why is this thread here while WTC 3 is in the UC section?
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #4483
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Because part of 3WTC is still visibly under construction, whereas work has completely stopped on this one.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #4484
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3247

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Because part of 3WTC is still visibly under construction, whereas work has completely stopped on this one.
the tower isn't rising though.

BARRISTA liked this post
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 05:11 AM   #4485
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munwon View Post
the tower isn't rising though.
so the first 7 stories arent part of the tower?
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #4486
BeLogical
BANNED

Likes (Received): 99

No part of this tower is under construction right now, while work is being done on seven floors of WTC 3. Why was the question even asked?
BeLogical no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #4487
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #4488
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5172

Can folks in Shenzhen confirm if work stopped on the other supertall projects in the city?
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #4489
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Link View Post
Yeah I figured it got moved pretty fast. Now, let's say if all the concrete is bad, would the steel plates have enough strength to hold themselves together if they had to strip all concrete off the core in the worst case (a re-do)? I'm imagining that a more realistic approach would be additional reinforcement at the base around the core, but since this concrete is spread everywhere, I suppose that's the job of the QA people to determine how bad and where it is, structurally.

Again as was well said, you'd think they would've gone to great lengths to ensure that quality was top notch on a structure like this. You don't just cut corners on a building 2,000+ feet high.

Guess we can only wait and see.
Core section of the tower is one thing. But what about the several meters thick bottom concrete slab which transfer all the load to the piles and piles themselves? I can't imagine more crucial elements of the tower and so I don't think they can be made of poor quality concrete. And what's more important you can't simply scrape the concrete and re-fill it like you could eventually do with the core. All of this is very disturbing and only hope for the fast resumption of the works that I can think of is that all that concrete fuss is just political crap and all projects simply resumes as soon as right person in right place gets his dime
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #4490
blacktrojan3921
Yes, that is my face~

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Hand View Post
This sort of QC issue is common in China. Concrete is done on an adhoc basis on the sidewalk in most construction situations under 8 floors.

I cannot believe the white hats on site were not testing the concrete before and after delivery for such a crucial project.

The worst that can happen is they drill some samples, find out it's off QC, and the structure needs to be razed and restarted.

It is not possible to have substandard concrete on the first 10 floors of a 660 metre building and have it be a small matter. This core holds up the building as well as the super columns and iron at the base that forms the support for the tower.

The engineers knew this was an issue and should have done due diligence. This isn't a 6F walk-up.
Well let's keep in mind here, South Korea and Singapore both had shoddy inspection on they're infrastructure. That changed for both countries when major building disaster occurred due to shoddy construction and practices; the Sampoong Department Store collapse in Seoul, and Hotel New World in Singapore.

To me this seems to be a common problem in the Eastern World when it comes to having a sort of construction boom for the first time -at least I think-, they tend to cut corners more willingly.
blacktrojan3921 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #4491
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8360

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Can folks in Shenzhen confirm if work stopped on the other supertall projects in the city?
look at #4466. Yann confirmed that construction stopped
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #4492
jaysonn341

Likes (Received): 334

May I remind the stupid people who are responsible for supplying concrete to this project that this tower is to be the tallest in China, and second tallest in the world upon completion??? Who in their right mind would risk supplying this type of material to such an important project??? Let's hope construction will resume soon.
jaysonn341 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #4493
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

If poor quality concrete is used both concrete supplier and tower contractor are guilty. As already said it is mandatory for contractor to test quality of the concrete arriving to the site.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #4494
jaysonn341

Likes (Received): 334

Wait... is it ironic that this building belongs to an insurance company? So its obviously going to be insured... by the very same company building it

big-dog, seb.nl liked this post
jaysonn341 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #4495
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8360

i do just hope the hazard done is not as bad as it looks like. i mean lotte also had a problem with its materials and it was safe in the end, right? so maybe we are lucky.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #4496
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6555

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
i do just hope the hazard done is not as bad as it looks like. i mean lotte also had a problem with its materials and it was safe in the end, right? so maybe we are lucky.
I can't imagine they have to destroy everything again, that sounds so unrealistic.
But in the absolutely worst case it could happen.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #4497
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Well let's keep in mind here, South Korea and Singapore both had shoddy inspection on they're infrastructure. That changed for both countries when major building disaster occurred due to shoddy construction and practices; the Sampoong Department Store collapse in Seoul, and Hotel New World in Singapore.

To me this seems to be a common problem in the Eastern World when it comes to having a sort of construction boom for the first time -at least I think-, they tend to cut corners more willingly.
According to wiki, the Sampoong Department Store collapsed because the owner had removed some pillars to make way for escalators to make it a warehouse. When the engineer told him that it would be too dangerous he was fired Even when the first cracks started to appear he didn't close the building
Old March 19th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #4498
The London BestShard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

This building is Under Construction. It is temporary stopped just like 432 Park Avenue the other week. Please put this back to Under Construction thread.
The London BestShard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #4499
TowerVerre:)

Likes (Received): 1832

Is there any chance that it will be cancelled because of that ? And is there any solution for this problem right now ? This really upsets me, because I just knew about this Shenzhen supertall cluster for 2 weeks and I hoped that Shenzhen will beat Dubai with supertalls really upsetting
TowerVerre:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #4500
BeLogical
BANNED

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by The London BestShard View Post
This building is Under Construction. It is temporary stopped just like 432 Park Avenue the other week. Please put this back to Under Construction thread.
432 Park had a minor stop work injunction. The problems facing this building are much more severe.

hunser liked this post
BeLogical no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
futian district, pafc, ping an finance center, shenzhen, supertall