daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #4541
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6524

Finally some good news! Hope it will stay like that.
Hope to see workers back in the next days

bigreach liked this post
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #4542
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28145

It was just a big scare. (relieved)
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #4543
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8231

i won't be relieved until it does start again.

FM 2258 liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #4544
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15902

Well if it was just a rumor I wouldn't mind if they drowned the responsible in fresh concrete Sea sand if he prefers.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.

tumbleweed_tx liked this post
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #4545
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

but why would they stop construction for a rumor?

edit: ok now i see, constrcution stopped for investigation,so PA may not even be oneof the buildings that has the sand-scandal confirmed

http://www.ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTall...d-Warning.aspx
ctbuh article

Last edited by KillerZavatar; March 20th, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old March 20th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #4546
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6859

So have there been concrete samples taken by urban planning officials from Ping An or not?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #4547
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
but why would they stop construction for a rumor?
Safety first
Old March 20th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #4548
[{x}]

Likes (Received): 10

Noooo! This is my favorite skyscraper in the whole world!

How long will an investigation take? I once dreamed of working inside this tower...
[{x}] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:27 AM   #4549
harry·chao

Likes (Received): 583

the Ping'An Group officially announced all were qualified,the result will come out in few days.

Munwon liked this post
harry·chao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:35 AM   #4550
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
So have there been concrete samples taken by urban planning officials from Ping An or not?
Large projects like Pingan take regular samples from each batch of concrete for strength tests anyway.
scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:04 AM   #4551
DoubleU

Likes (Received): 413

Ping An: sand for China’s tallest building safe

Lin Min
[email protected]
SHENZHEN-BASED financial conglomerate China Ping An Insurance (Group) Co. said yesterday that sand used in the under-construction Ping An Financial Center met national standards in quality tests, refuting reports that the company could potentially suffer losses of billions of yuan from unsafe building materials.
The 660-meter-tall skyscraper, expected to be the tallest building on the Chinese mainland upon completion, has been at the center of public concerns about construction safety since China Central Television (CCTV) alleged last week that potentially erosive sea sand was used in many construction projects in Shenzhen.
In a statement released yesterday, Ping An said tests of seven samples of concrete taken from the project in the city’s CBD found chloridion levels that did not exceed national limits. The company said it was assisting with the government’s investigation and believed the government would soon release findings.
CCTV’s Friday report said many Shenzhen developers have replaced river sand with much cheaper, substandard sea sand in concrete, without proper desalting. Excessive chloridion in sea sand can erode steel bars, making buildings prone to collapse.
Ren Huichuan, Ping An’s general manager, said last week that the skyscraper — not far from the Coco Park retail and entertainment center in Futian District — had reached about 80 meters.
Some reports estimated that the project already has cost nearly 3 billion yuan (US$483 million) and speculated that the company could lose that amount if salty sand is found to have been used and the structure needs to be demolished.
Following CCTV’s report, Shenzhen’s housing and construction bureau checked 165 concrete samples at construction sites around the city and found that 9.7 percent failed to meet standards. Three construction projects have been halted and four concrete plants have closed amid the citywide checks.
Officials and experts said sea sand can be used if it is properly washed with fresh water.

Source: http://szdaily.sznews.com/html/2013-...nt_2413777.htm

Still, the site remains calm!
DoubleU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:38 AM   #4552
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

They really need to test all the concrete. Now imagine the concrete can potentially be used in subway tunnel, or bridge pylon construction. Have they checked those already?
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:39 AM   #4553
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15902

Quote:
Following CCTV’s report, Shenzhen’s housing and construction bureau checked 165 concrete samples at construction sites around the city and found that 9.7 percent failed to meet standards. Three construction projects have been halted and four concrete plants have closed amid the citywide checks.
Did any relevant project fail the tests?

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 12:03 PM   #4554
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 797

Come on people, I rather have a two week stop to make 100% sure everything is okay. On the grand scale, a few weeks is nothing. Imagine if this building would collapse later, that could put all new skyscraper development in China on hold...
Old March 21st, 2013, 02:25 PM   #4555
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
Come on people, I rather have a two week stop to make 100% sure everything is okay. On the grand scale, a few weeks is nothing. Imagine if this building would collapse later, that could put all new skyscraper development in China on hold...
Agree . 2 weeks are nothing for a project which takes 4 or 5 years to build
Old March 21st, 2013, 03:22 PM   #4556
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

good news, looks like it does not have to be demolished and will just be delayed for a couple of weeks. no major deal. still kind of ironic that a building from Ping'An, which could be translated to peacefully or smoothly, did not went smoothly at all.

i just searched for shenzhen projects and we have no other shenzhen project with the On hold status in the supertall nor skyscraper section. does this mean that the concrete problem will not affect any other skyscraper? or do we not know yet which buildings were affected?
Old March 22nd, 2013, 01:46 AM   #4557
Peloso

Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLogical View Post
Was the Brooklyn Bridge built in the 21st century? Was it even built in the 20th century? And why make this a comparison between the west and the non-west? This incident had nothing to do with any country but China and thus the discussion of countries in relation to this project should be limited only to China.
I don't see why one can't draw a parallel with similar incidents in other parts of the world. Take for instance Italy, three years ago during an earthquake in L'Aquila scores died because of sand being used in the concrete of some local buildings. I think it's rather useful to know that "modern economy" and not "Chinese shoddy quality control" is to blame here, in Seoul's mall and in other similar cases.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:01 AM   #4558
some_stupid_nut

Likes (Received): 3

Just read this article and came here to check up!

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...uality-scandal
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:28 AM   #4559
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
I don't see why one can't draw a parallel with similar incidents in other parts of the world. Take for instance Italy, three years ago during an earthquake in L'Aquila scores died because of sand being used in the concrete of some local buildings. I think it's rather useful to know that "modern economy" and not "Chinese shoddy quality control" is to blame here, in Seoul's mall and in other similar cases.
My wall was built last week. Already flakes of concrete falling from the edges along with massive efflorescence from the brick mortar through the exterior thin layer of concrete.

I see the same methods used all over the country for low rise and adhoc work.

It's shoddy QC and the truth should never be subverted for politeness.
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:14 AM   #4560
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Let's just hope AT LEAST,, this is true, and ST, which is already too late to start over, and Ping An, and Goldin Finance pass these tests,, those are the big 3, going on right now... Hopefully they are up to code,, just for the World's and workers saftey,,and us skyscraper geeks, watch these suckers rise.... Yes easily trade in 2 weeks of dead silence for the Green Light.. Lets hope it's true,, These will be the most Iconic buildings in China, and perhaps the World "please no shortcuts".. Lets hope Korea is doing fine on their 2 monsters.

Tags
futian district, pafc, ping an finance center, shenzhen, supertall