daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #661
snapdragon

Likes (Received): 368

Imagine holding a rod while standing on a chair . You will realise .It is hard to balance the thin long rod. SO basically if you have a 577 meters tall building You basically cant just tie the rod with ropes at the top .It has to be extended through solid foundation.

Infact During the guangzhou tv tower construction on the stability expeirments they did . They found the weak link to be the spire . Which could fall off due to high speed winds or earth quakes and they had to make lot of changes to design in order to ensure the planned spire could be executed.

Highcliff liked this post
snapdragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #662
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Imagine holding a rod while standing on a chair . You will realise .It is hard to balance the thin long rod. SO basically if you have a 577 meters tall building You basically cant just tie the rod with ropes at the top .It has to be extended through solid foundation.
They have to change (reinforce) the structure up to the last floor.

And is not that thin as it look. Is like 69m long and 6m wide at the base and 3m on the top. More or less like 5 trucks on top of eachoter, with more of them at the base... I would guess @250 tonnes (including the part inside the building).

luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #663
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Now you are just trolling KPF is the architect.

and Pignan Insurance limited is the second largest insurance firm in China.
Well I wouldn't know either of that, and it looks nothing like a KPF design. Not trolling at all. After the Burji Dubai debacle any tower over 2000 feet I will remain skeptical on.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #664
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Well I wouldn't know either of that, and it looks nothing like a KPF design. Not trolling at all. After the Burji Dubai debacle any tower over 2000 feet I will remain skeptical on.
Burj Dubai a debacle? I suppose so, to a degree. Expensive, Yes. Over budget, Yes. Construction delays, Yes.

But I defy you to find any supertall buildings that didn't have problems during construction/development/leasing. ESB was less than 25% leased for its first 15 years. The Twin Towers were grossly over budget. Sears Tower had to be sold off and vacted by Sears Roebuck. Resididential sales at the John Hancock Tower in Chicago were very slow after completion. As our the Trump Tower Chicago's right now. Taipei 101 was slow to lease up. SWFC is only 20-40% leased at the moment. And on and on.

Residences at the Burj Dubai sold extremely well. Whether those sales close is another question. Supertalls are tough cookies. If they were easy, every city in the world would have em.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #665
Monzaemon

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Burj Dubai a debacle? I suppose so, to a degree. Expensive, Yes. Over budget, Yes. Construction delays, Yes.

But I defy you to find any supertall buildings that didn't have problems during construction/development/leasing. ESB was less than 25% leased for its first 15 years. The Twin Towers were grossly over budget. Sears Tower had to be sold off and vacted by Sears Roebuck. Resididential sales at the John Hancock Tower in Chicago were very slow after completion. As our the Trump Tower Chicago's right now. Taipei 101 was slow to lease up. SWFC is only 20-40% leased at the moment. And on and on.

Residences at the Burj Dubai sold extremely well. Whether those sales close is another question. Supertalls are tough cookies. If they were easy, every city in the world would have em.
willis tower.... WILLIS, ITS BEEN RENAMED!
Monzaemon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #666
Onn
BANNED

Quote:

Those towers weren't 2000+ foot towers and were in cities that could eventually support them, I think there are still a lot of questions surrounding this project. I'll be interested to see if it goes all the way.
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #667
spectre000

2,000 feet or 1,000 feet. Really doesn't matter. Anything over 1,000 ft is tough to fill up. Shenzhen has a population of 8 million. I'm sure it can find the rents. Regardless, it already has a large anchor tenant. What would be more shocking is if this tower didn't have any problems. Cause most supertalls do.

Old February 10th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #668
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
2,000 feet or 1,000 feet. Really doesn't matter. Anything over 1,000 ft is tough to fill up. Shenzhen has a population of 8 million. I'm sure it can find the rents. Regardless, it already has a large anchor tenant. What would be more shocking is if this tower didn't have any problems. Cause most supertalls do.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...558031&page=19

On hold now, case in point. This project is a little too out there as well I think. If it was being built in Shanghai or Hong Kong I could understand, but a much lesser financially significant city is going to be a big stretch. These things are costly. I’ll remain skeptical until I see it more than half way up.
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #669
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...558031&page=19

On hold now, case in point. This project is a little too out there as well I think. If it was being built in Shanghai or Hong Kong I could understand, but a much lesser financially significant city is going to be a big stretch. These things are costly. Iíll remain skeptical until I see it more than half way up.
just cus u dont know or never heard of Shenzhen doesnt mean this is some poor place, K?
shenzhen is one of the richest cities in china and I think it has the highest income per person or something similar to that

SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:25 AM   #670
spectre000

The city is irrelevant. SWFC was built Shanghai and was on hold for years half-way thru construction. The Spire in Chicago is on hold and probably dead. Russia Tower was to be built in Moscow and got cancelled. 2 and 3WTC are on hold in NYC. Those are some of the richest cities in the world.

Towers can fail ANYWHERE.
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #671
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
The city is irrelevant. SWFC was built Shanghai and was on hold for years half-way thru construction. The Spire in Chicago is on hold and probably dead. Russia Tower was to be built in Moscow and got cancelled. 2 and 3WTC are on hold in NYC. Those are some of the richest cities in the world.

Towers can fail ANYWHERE.
And the chances of them failing in this city are far higher than the cities you just mentioned.
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:46 AM   #672
spectre000

Quote:
And the chances of them failing in this city are far higher than the cities you just mentioned.
Point taken.

Shenzhen already has a supertall, another half done, and this one on the way. I think this one will be just fine.
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:19 AM   #673
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Point taken.

Shenzhen already has a supertall, another half done, and this one on the way. I think this one will be just fine.
Over 2,000 feet chief, think about it.
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #674
snapdragon

Likes (Received): 368

Yeah chief .It is going up and you have to come to terms with reality
Old February 11th, 2010, 03:49 AM   #675
Scion

Likes (Received): 4230

Oh dear Onn has infected this thread too.

Here's a song for you and [insert deity] bless you.

Scion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #676
leogodoy

Likes (Received): 49

EDIT: misread spectre000's post, sorry mate.
leogodoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #677
BetoX_S

Likes (Received): 5

Old February 11th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #678
Ewan117

Likes (Received): 18

Shenzhen is a special economic zone, if there were to be any city in China that could withstand the Financial Crisis, Shenzhen would be one of them.

I think many of us is glad that Tianjin117 is on hold.... gives them more time to think about changing the design of the tower... this one doesn't (well only the spire on/off part)

SWFC was started in 1997, during the Asian Financial Crisis and when China's economy wasn't that dominant/steady and its main investors being from Japan

Shanghai and HK are financial powerhouses and so are Guangzhou City and Shenzhen

Struggling to find tenants? There are buildings in Perth (Australia) that are barely over 100meters that are struggling to find tenants, so this problem occurs in all cities. But when there is demand for office space, Shenzhen will have plenty, enough for transitions.

'whether it will be built or not?' that would be a line i would use when I'm referring to this tower's spire!!!
Ewan117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #679
Scion

Likes (Received): 4230

This quote might bring some enlightenment to a certain person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddsterone View Post
I have lived and worked in Shenzhen for 23 years and have NEVER felt even remotely threatened. I have never been robbed. Taxi drivers never try to cheat me. Physically it is a VERY safe city.

It is also not some wild West factory town. Its official population is fourteen million making it the third most populous city in China. Unlike Shanghai and Beijing which have large rural populations, every one of the fourteen million Shenzheners is classified urban.

It is China's richest city with mile after mile of tree-lined middle class suburbs where people live around beautiful tropical gardens. It has a higher proportion of parks and gardens than any Chinese city other than Dongguan.

It is a major financial centre. China's largest financial institution, Ping An, is based in Shenzhen. Two of China's six listed banks are based in Shenzhen. Forty per cent of China's mutual funds are managed from Shenzhen. Shenzhen Airlines is China's largest private airline. HQ and R&D of two of the world's top ten electronics companies, Hua Wei and ZTE are based in Shenzhen. One of China's two stock exchanges is in Shenzhen. China's largest real estate developer, Vanke, is based in Shenzhen.

All of the above demonstrates why Shenzhen is such a magnet for immigrants and tourists from all over China and why it is one of the world's great skyscraper cities

Scion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #680
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

Back on topic please, guys. Onn's thankfully been banned now.
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
futian district, pafc, ping an finance center, shenzhen, supertall