daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #8601
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

While I'm still surprised that they allowed the spire to be proposed and in advanced stages of design then, only to be cut now, it does happen (1WTC's fiberglass antenna for example). But hopefully with good tapering, they can at least conclude the building sensibly if the spire is indeed cut.

I still hope not, though! This is one building where it's visually and aesthetically integral to the flow of the tower.

pteranodon liked this post
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2015, 08:25 PM   #8602
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEincorparated View Post
Can't read that article we'll need better confirmation then that to believe that the spire been cut from the design.
I know the translation is "a little bit" weird (google translator) but it's good enough to understand it.

Quote:
Shenzhen's tallest building 60 meters short of the aviation industry as a high limit adjustment

February 25, 2015 Southern Metropolis Daily

"Design 660 meters, is now 600 meters." Earlier users post, said, originally designed for 660-meter-high safe financial center, the final height will be locked in the 600 meters. Southern Reporter confirmed the news from the authorities. The height of the "shrink", allegedly because of the high limit due to aviation.
Ping Financial Center project with a total construction area of ​​460,700 square meters, the project investment of not less than 50 billion yuan, will be built as the headquarters of China's Ping An and Shenzhen to become the financial industry and urban construction of a new milestone. According to the design plan was announced, the main height of 588.45 meters, the design height of 660.00 meters: the first will be built in China, the world's second tallest building. In July last year, the project had already exceeded the Beijing-based, to become the tallest skyscraper in Shenzhen. December 29, 2014 afternoon, the concrete core wall structure of the project 555.5 m official cap. As the project's general contractor in the construction of the media to participate in a game of capping ceremony to announce the project will be fully completed in April 2016, after the completion of the total height will reach 600 meters.
"Others have not changed, in fact, the original antenna withdrawal", the Southern reporter was informed that the 60 meters short of the main spire is canceled "antenna" means the body does not affect the original design. Official said, mainly because of the height limit due to aviation.
Temporarily adjust the height, this is not the first high-rise buildings facing this problem. Guangzhou landmark waistline, for example, the international competition program to determine the height of 610 meters. And after the completion of the airport air traffic control authorities to assess and coordinate with the government, reduced to 600 meters below. The main way to reduce, but also cut the antenna. This had a cost of more than ten million more, schedule delays for months
source: m.focus.cn/sz/zixun/6062970/

Finally a bad day for all spire fans...

pteranodon, Zaz965 liked this post
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #8603
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

Well, now this project seems boring...

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!

Dubai Skyscraper, ExCaliBourBG liked this post
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #8604
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8237

this will look so weird.

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #8605
Lucaventure

Likes (Received): 16

Stunning pictures !
Lucaventure no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:05 AM   #8606
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

By forj @SSP:

[IMG]http://i62.************/muafso.jpg[/IMG]
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:07 AM   #8607
Ch.W

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
this will look so weird.
When it's completelly finished including a good light instalation (at the top), i'm convinced a few month later most people here will say "great building". And the missing spire is forgotten.
It's not this thread but i changed my opinion about another loved or hated supertall also: the 432 Park Avenue "stick".
At the beginning i thought what an ugly and boring slim design. It don't fit in the skyline and looks terrible.
But now when it's almost finished i like it more and more.
I think it's also a question of "get used to it"...and Ping An will be unique because it looks like an obelisk.
Perhaps this will become it's funny nickname:
the shenzhen obelisk

onewtclover, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Ch.W; February 28th, 2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #8608
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8237

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post

oh man...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.W View Post
it certainly will stay a great building, but it won't be among my favorites anymore i think

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:27 AM   #8609
Ch.W

Quote:
oh man...

I like it so

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:29 AM   #8610
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22541

Ping An Finance Center will now be known as the Shenzhen Obelisk.

Ch.W, ExCaliBourBG, HRP4Life liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 06:33 AM   #8611
snapdragon

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitesemicon View Post
a nice and amazing building in Shenzhen ,China.
Thanks for your very insightful comments
Old February 28th, 2015, 07:59 AM   #8612
harry·chao

Likes (Received): 583

so sad this monster miss a spire

ExCaliBourBG, pteranodon liked this post
harry·chao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 08:07 AM   #8613
OEincorparated

Likes (Received): 47

It looks like a pencil now. I think they need to reconsider, the spire makes it looks so much better.

OEincorparated no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #8614
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

What a pity

ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 08:12 AM   #8615
teddybear
City Reformist

Likes (Received): 487

well why is it when they design it they do not put into consideration that it will be too tall close to the airport? I do not get it.. and now they just realize it?

teddybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 08:20 AM   #8616
孟天宝

Likes (Received): 76

I have to admit, the new design isn't that bad. While the spire didn't detract from the tower, I always feel like that such things are "cheating." Sure the Burj Khalifa is 830m tall, but the highest floor is 585m and the observatory is like 555m. The Kingdom Tower under construction in Jeddah is the same; a one kilometer tower but what's the highest floor? 600m? Where will the observatory (if there is one) be?

It's one thing to build a massive spire on a building, I think it's another to be able to build habitable floors. While the spires generally aren't ugly or off putting (like Khalifa or Kingdom), it just feels like a cop-out sometimes. Imagine having a penthouse a kilometre up - like 432 Park Avenue. That would be beyond fantastic! I've found that sometimes giant spires are added more out ... compensation for something *cough* than architectural necessity; take the Nanjing Zifeng Tower, its observatory tops out at 270m but the tower is 450m! I can say I visited a supertall, but I, personally, never got that high. Wheras the ICC in Hong Kong is "only* 30m taller, the observatory is over 100m higher!

Ch.W liked this post
孟天宝 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 10:37 AM   #8617
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Likes (Received): 647

while it is sad to see the spire not go ahead, it was basically just a stick on top. The diagram on the previous page looks strange without the spire, but I think that's because we are so used to the design with the spire. give it a couple of months, and I think most people will be fine with the change.

It is a bit like the SWFC, which was originally supposed to have a round hole, but ended up with a square(ish) hole. I vaguely remember when this design change was announced, a lot of people were against it, but I think after it was completed everyone agreed it was a good change.

In the case of Ping An, this change is nowhere near as large. Personally, I think it will still be amazing, and in a way, it improves the design because it finishes off cleanly, rather than with an arbitrarily high stick on top.

Complete and T/O Supertalls Map
U/C Supertalls Map
Prep and O/H Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

ZZ-II's World Supertalls List

view my buildings made on Maya

Munwon liked this post
MattTheTubaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:26 PM   #8618
pengcheng

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
well why is it when they design it they do not put into consideration that it will be too tall close to the airport? I do not get it.. and now they just realize it?
I think that's probably just an excuse. I suspect (but obviously can't prove) the reason might have rather more to do with investment in Qianhai than air routes.

The suggested reason for that is similar to a reason why the Chinese government got so upset about China being recently declared the world's biggest economy. As Joseph Stiglitz put it:

"There was one more concern, and it was a big one: China understands full well America’s psychological preoccupation with being No. 1—and was deeply worried about what our reaction would be when we no longer were."
(From his Vanity Fair column 'The Chinese Century' - can't link to it yet)

Whilst China is still transitioning from an economy based on exporting to America and the West to one driven much more by domestic demand, it is vulnerable to America/Americans behaving as if China is a rival, e.g. demanding trade barriers etc.

Something similar might be happening as regards having the world's second tallest building.

Currently Shenzhen's biggest project is Qianhai, and this project's success or failure is massively dependent on Hong Kong investment and HK companies. Shenzhen's 2014 GDP was US$260bn; HK's 2013 GDP was US$274bn. Qianhai's goal is to boost GDP by $23.7bn by 2020. Well...

Effectively, although Shenzhen is bending over backwards to state that Qianhai is win-win, a successful Qianhai would probably also spell the end of HK being the economic big dog of the pair. This would presumably have big knock-on effects economically, but it is also unclear how Hong Kongers would react to their little tacky pet of a city (as many Hong Kongers have traditionally seen Shenzhen) becoming economically dominant. Enough anti-Shenzhen sentiment in HK might derail investment in Qianhai at a time when the scheme is still highly vulnerable.

If Ping'an were to become the tallest building in China then it might encourage some Hong Kongers to stop seeing Shanghai as its big rival, and start seeing Shenzhen as its rival.

Maybe Shenzhen isn't ready to step out of the shadows quite yet, and is unwilling to risk global and neighbourly attention by having the world's second-tallest building...

Just a theory, of course! But the flight restrictions idea seems like BS to me, so I suspect there's another reason.
pengcheng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 01:55 PM   #8619
Ch.W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 孟天宝 View Post
...I always feel like that such things are "cheating."...
...I've found that sometimes giant spires are added more out ... compensation for something *cough* than architectural necessity; take the Nanjing Zifeng Tower, its observatory tops out at 270m but the tower is 450m! I can say I visited a supertall, but I, personally, never got that high. Wheras the ICC in Hong Kong is "only* 30m taller, the observatory is over 100m higher!
I share the same opinion.
For example: in 1998 i wasn't such informed and enthusiatic about skyscrapers as today. The former Sears Tower (Willis Tower) was the highest skyscraper since 1974.
Than i've heard about the Petronas Towers "...which breaks the hight record that Willis Tower owns for 24 years.
As i saw them ( indeed fantastic buildings) i was nevertheless disappointed

The discussion who likes Ping an more with or without a spire is a matter of taste.

But the official ranking system is imo not able to measure the real size of a building compared to others which are officially higher or smaller. When the spire is a part of the building from beginn it counts to the total hight.
If added after completion there's officially no reason to change the hight in a ranking. Especially this part of hight measurement is something i will never get used to.
There are examples that are downright ridiculous imo:
Bank of America Tower in New York is higher than Aon Center in Chicago...4 Times Square in New York higher (!!!) than Dubai Rose Rotana...and so on...
I think they should measures more by roof hights and highest occupied floors.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 28th, 2015, 03:56 PM   #8620
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.W View Post
4 Times Square in New York higher (!!!) than Dubai Rose Rotana...and so on...
I think they should measures more by roof hights and highest occupied floors.
No. 4 TS is "officially" (i.e. CTBUH) listed as 246.5 m / 809 ft (antenna 340.7 m / 1,118 ft ), whereas Rose Rayhaan by Rotana is listed as 333 m / 1,093 ft (highest occupied floor 237.1 m / 778 ft).
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
futian district, pafc, ping an finance center, shenzhen, supertall