daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #8621
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5179

Sorry my fault, thanks for correcting
But there are enough other examples for a rating i'm not really be satified with.

Zaz965 liked this post
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #8622
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3183

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
By forj @SSP:

[IMG]http://i62.************/muafso.jpg[/IMG]
It doesn't look that bad! In fact it looks very sharp. I think this change will be like the trapezoid shape to SWFC a few years ago. As people get used to the design, they like it more and more.

Ch.W liked this post
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 06:47 PM   #8623
Ch.W

Yepp...that's it!

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 28th, 2015, 06:55 PM   #8624
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

At least it'll be topped out very soon.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #8625
pteranodon

Likes (Received): 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.W View Post
If added after completion there's officially no reason to change the hight in a ranking. Especially this part of hight measurement is something i will never get used to.
An example of this oddity is Capital City St. Petersburg Tower. A private penthouse was built atop the completed building in order to surpass Commerzbank Tower in height. But CTBUH still lists the originally designed height.

Ch.W, onewtclover liked this post
pteranodon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #8626
harry·chao

Likes (Received): 583

some pics taken by 定真

Swiddle, CP11, Eroha, Ch.W, mafd12 and 7 others liked this post
harry·chao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 09:20 PM   #8627
Ch.W

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteranodon View Post
A private penthouse was built atop the completed building in order to surpass Commerzbank Tower in height. But CTBUH still lists the originally designed height.
thanks for the info, this example is absolutely rediculous indeed.
What are the guys at CTBUH are doing???

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 28th, 2015, 10:15 PM   #8628
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1657

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengcheng View Post
I think that's probably just an excuse. I suspect (but obviously can't prove) the reason might have rather more to do with investment in Qianhai than air routes.

The suggested reason for that is similar to a reason why the Chinese government got so upset about China being recently declared the world's biggest economy. As Joseph Stiglitz put it:

"There was one more concern, and it was a big one: China understands full well America’s psychological preoccupation with being No. 1—and was deeply worried about what our reaction would be when we no longer were."
(From his Vanity Fair column 'The Chinese Century' - can't link to it yet)

Whilst China is still transitioning from an economy based on exporting to America and the West to one driven much more by domestic demand, it is vulnerable to America/Americans behaving as if China is a rival, e.g. demanding trade barriers etc.

Something similar might be happening as regards having the world's second tallest building.

Currently Shenzhen's biggest project is Qianhai, and this project's success or failure is massively dependent on Hong Kong investment and HK companies. Shenzhen's 2014 GDP was US$260bn; HK's 2013 GDP was US$274bn. Qianhai's goal is to boost GDP by $23.7bn by 2020. Well...

Effectively, although Shenzhen is bending over backwards to state that Qianhai is win-win, a successful Qianhai would probably also spell the end of HK being the economic big dog of the pair. This would presumably have big knock-on effects economically, but it is also unclear how Hong Kongers would react to their little tacky pet of a city (as many Hong Kongers have traditionally seen Shenzhen) becoming economically dominant. Enough anti-Shenzhen sentiment in HK might derail investment in Qianhai at a time when the scheme is still highly vulnerable.

If Ping'an were to become the tallest building in China then it might encourage some Hong Kongers to stop seeing Shanghai as its big rival, and start seeing Shenzhen as its rival.

Maybe Shenzhen isn't ready to step out of the shadows quite yet, and is unwilling to risk global and neighbourly attention by having the world's second-tallest building...

Just a theory, of course! But the flight restrictions idea seems like BS to me, so I suspect there's another reason.
agree on the last point
kunming tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 10:15 PM   #8629
Dave-in-Toronto

Likes (Received): 682

Ok, so it seems official: no spire on this building.

I guess we will get used to the design. I have to wonder if a reason for not completing the spire is simply to save money - that spire construction looked to be pretty difficult and involved.
Old February 28th, 2015, 10:17 PM   #8630
Ch.W

Quote:
...If Ping'an were to become the tallest building in China then it might encourage some Hong Kongers to stop seeing Shanghai as its big rival, and start seeing Shenzhen as its rival....
If your theory is right it means that we can expect for the further years only new buildings in shenzhen "smaller" than shanghai tower? Till suzhou's zhongnan megatall is completed?
Or till shanghai gets a new more taller building than shanghai tower?
Interesting is that this all shows how much those superstructures are economic symbols and all other aspects are in the background....

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 28th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #8631
kunming tiger

Maybe Shenzhen isn't ready to step out of the shadows quite yet, and is unwilling to risk global and neighbourly attention by having the world's second-tallest building...

you definitely don't know Chinese people . So building only a 600 meter building is a ploy designed not to attract attention from across the border. But building the same building with a spire would set off alarm bells. So a 36 meter spire would be the difference between world reknown and total obscurity ? That must be some spire. Well that must be a load of the minds of the occupy HK crowd then knowing there are no 636 meter buildings around .
Old February 28th, 2015, 10:28 PM   #8632
kunming tiger

without the spire Shenzhen would be able to fly under the radar (no pun intended)
Old February 28th, 2015, 10:36 PM   #8633
kunming tiger

Sorry I meant a 60 meter spire not a 36 meter spire.
Old February 28th, 2015, 10:37 PM   #8634
ILoveMichaelJackson

Likes (Received): 24

[IMG]http://i59.************/2ccpcee.jpg[/IMG]

This project looked so beautiful in the begining. Maybe it would have been the most beautiful and interesting tower in China, but with worse cladding and no spire it´s gone.
The person who is responsible for this should be executed for high treason!

Last edited by ILoveMichaelJackson; February 28th, 2015 at 11:01 PM.
ILoveMichaelJackson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 10:48 PM   #8635
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

we will see with time......
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 12:08 AM   #8636
Ch.W

Quote:
Well that must be a load of the minds of the occupy HK crowd then knowing there are no 636 meter buildings around.
So i get i right, ping an with 600m doesn't matter and it's totally out of public mind for the "HK crowd"?

Zaz965 liked this post
Old March 1st, 2015, 04:57 AM   #8637
snapdragon

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengcheng View Post
I think that's probably just an excuse. I suspect (but obviously can't prove) the reason might have rather more to do with investment in Qianhai than air routes.

The suggested reason for that is similar to a reason why the Chinese government got so upset about China being recently declared the world's biggest economy. As Joseph Stiglitz put it:

"There was one more concern, and it was a big one: China understands full well America’s psychological preoccupation with being No. 1—and was deeply worried about what our reaction would be when we no longer were."
(From his Vanity Fair column 'The Chinese Century' - can't link to it yet)

Whilst China is still transitioning from an economy based on exporting to America and the West to one driven much more by domestic demand, it is vulnerable to America/Americans behaving as if China is a rival, e.g. demanding trade barriers etc.

Something similar might be happening as regards having the world's second tallest building.

Currently Shenzhen's biggest project is Qianhai, and this project's success or failure is massively dependent on Hong Kong investment and HK companies. Shenzhen's 2014 GDP was US$260bn; HK's 2013 GDP was US$274bn. Qianhai's goal is to boost GDP by $23.7bn by 2020. Well...

Effectively, although Shenzhen is bending over backwards to state that Qianhai is win-win, a successful Qianhai would probably also spell the end of HK being the economic big dog of the pair. This would presumably have big knock-on effects economically, but it is also unclear how Hong Kongers would react to their little tacky pet of a city (as many Hong Kongers have traditionally seen Shenzhen) becoming economically dominant. Enough anti-Shenzhen sentiment in HK might derail investment in Qianhai at a time when the scheme is still highly vulnerable.

If Ping'an were to become the tallest building in China then it might encourage some Hong Kongers to stop seeing Shanghai as its big rival, and start seeing Shenzhen as its rival.

Just a theory, of course! But the flight restrictions idea seems like BS to me, so I suspect there's another reason.

I mean i do agree with the line Ofcourse flight restrictions seems pretty BS.

Honestly it makes no sense whatsoever to assume that a spire shall cause all the insecurities you talk about . I mean its almost to the point of being funny Ofcourse hkers do get their pa*ties in a jam for crazy things like OMG they are shopping at our luxury stores OMG they are shopping in our grocery stories OMG they are eating at in our restaurants and all that stuff. Still it is a far stretch to imagine anything of sort you suggesting coming about due to a spire thats 60m long.

The original intention of the ping'an was to be the tallest it was designed to be 636 mts originally just to beat out the shanghai tower 632m. later height was further rised to 660m. So this sudden bout of insecurity can't be really true
Old March 1st, 2015, 05:05 AM   #8638
pengcheng

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.W View Post
If your theory is right it means that we can expect for the further years only new buildings in shenzhen "smaller" than shanghai tower? Till suzhou's zhongnan megatall is completed?
Or till shanghai gets a new more taller building than shanghai tower?
Interesting is that this all shows how much those superstructures are economic symbols and all other aspects are in the background....
Hi, no, if my speculations are correct it would just mean that Shenzhen wouldn't get any taller buildings until Qianhai has attained a critical mass of development and investment locked in.

If the city really does want to create a Super-HQ for companies in Shenzhen Bay then a prerequisite for its success would be that Shenzhen has a very high profile and prestige so that companies are willing to pay a big premium for 'the right address'. So maybe in a few years there might be a concerted effort to give Shenzhen prestige projects like many megatalls.

If the official 'flight path' restrictions explanation is correct then Shenzhen presumably wouldn't be getting megatalls anywhere (with the possible exception of Caiwuwei in Luohu): not in Baishizhou, not in Shenzhen Bay, not in Houhai and not in Qianhai, as all of these places are far closer to Bao'an airport.

But the official explanation... Hnngh, I live 10km to the west of Ping'an and can see it from my window these days. I cannot recall ever seeing a plane flying east of my flat. Whilst I accept that flights overhead are the kind of thing a mind can filter out of perception, I think you'd have to be a lunatic to be both concerned with flight safety and fly a jet engine in the vicinity, as Ping'an is only 3km from one of the world's great resting spots for migrating birds, Mai Po Wetlands/Mangrove Bay. The entire northeastern quadrant of Houhai Bay is a nature reserve that hosts many tens of thousands of birds. Some of those birds look easily big enough to damage a jet engine if they got sucked into one.

In short, jet aircraft would be avoiding the area like the plague anyway, so the official explanation surely can't be the real reason.

Ch.W liked this post

Last edited by pengcheng; March 1st, 2015 at 05:13 AM.
pengcheng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 05:11 AM   #8639
snapdragon

Likes (Received): 368

I personally believe the Shenzen government has realized that it is looking at a future where you could see many more CBDs pop up in this extremely fast growing region of China namely the pearl river delta. It is possible they are already feeling constrained with all the nearby developments and planned developments for designing routes and maybe even extending the airport with a new terminal in future and it does not want to risk having 660 m tall building in the available airspace and cause huge air traffic congestion in the later years when we see few more CBDs pop up here and there and maybe a newer terminal as well and wants to keep the space open for the same.

Old March 1st, 2015, 05:16 AM   #8640
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

This design seems like it basically revolves around the spire, everything tapers into it and then forms it. Without it, it just looks in completed. Its like the ESB stopping at the observation deck..ugly

Tags
futian district, pafc, ping an finance center, shenzhen, supertall