daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2015, 05:20 PM   #9261
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrocer View Post
And it's very strange that powerful Hong Kong has "only" 2 over 400m towers (412 and 484m) and no real plans to built at least 1 tower over 500 (better over 600) meters
If I'm wrong, please correct me
Yes, and the powerful Tokyo have no supertalls, only tv towers over 300m... your point is ?

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #9262
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6859

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
Yes, and the powerful Tokyo have no supertalls, only tv towers over 300m... your point is ?
What we need to look at is the GDP. According to Wikipedia Shenzhen nominal GDP was approximately 260bn while Hong Kong approximately 310bn in USD terms. We could reasonably assume that both cities will be on par by their total GDP over the next few years with Shenzhen far exceeding Hong Kong in the long run.

The point is that relative importance of Hong Kong will be in decline in the long term perspective while Shenzhen will be gaining more relative importance.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 06:11 PM   #9263
SkyLinePana
BANNED

Likes (Received): 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julito-dubai View Post
Haha i like that photo! Foreigners looking like they have seen a UFO and the locals dont give a shit
try visiting nyc
SkyLinePana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #9264
luci203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
The point is that relative importance of Hong Kong will be in decline in the long term perspective while Shenzhen will be gaining more relative importance.
No, the point was that Supertalls=economic power.

Milwaukee Wisconsin, have about the same population and GDP as Dubai... and compare the skylines.

There is no direct correlation. Sure a city with higher buildings have a higher chance to be richer, but is not necessarily.

Mumbai will have higher buildings than London or Paris, but still...

As for relative importance, Shenzhen is bigger, and have more perspectives in the future, but would never had the growth it had (and still have) without the massive investments from Hong Kong. Many other regions could "qualify" to host the special zone, but only one had the proximity to Hong Kong. Deng saw that... If you can't see that, is your problem.

Vaklston liked this post
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #9265
SkyLinePana
BANNED

Quote:
And it's very strange that powerful Hong Kong has "only" 2 over 400m towers (412 and 484m) and no real plans to built at least 1 tower over 500 (better over 600) meters
If I'm wrong, please correct me
isnt hong kong pretty much full? anything new would require a teardown and booting the residents. harder to do that in hong kong than in the rest of china.
Old June 4th, 2015, 06:15 PM   #9266
SkyLinePana
BANNED

Quote:
No, the point was that Supertalls=economic power.

Milwaukee Wisconsin, have about the same population and GDP as Dubai... and compare the skylines.

There is no direct correlation. Sure a city with higher buildings have a higher chance to be richer, but is not necessarily.

Mumbai will have higher buildings than London or Paris, but still...

As for relative importance, Shenzhen is bigger, and have more perspectives in the future, but would never had the growth it had (and still have) without the massive investments from Hong Kong.
lol no they do not.
they CAN be the result of it, or the result of other things, like super cheap money from govt banks, or vanity projects.

in the middle east, they are a sign of extreme economic disparity between the kept workers and the citizens.
Old June 4th, 2015, 06:33 PM   #9267
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17790

Quote:
What we need to look at is the GDP. According to Wikipedia Shenzhen nominal GDP was approximately 260bn while Hong Kong approximately 310bn in USD terms. We could reasonably assume that both cities will be on par by their total GDP over the next few years with Shenzhen far exceeding Hong Kong in the long run.

Don't forget population. Shenzhen is home to over 10 million people while Hong Kong is 3 million smaller. This brings the relative difference into perspective.

I don't think there is a true correlation between the tallest building's height with wealth. London would be wiped off the map in that measure.

Shenzhen has never been designed to be an international city anyway, so its importance is merely domestic, which is something Hong Kong is not looking for. Shenzhen can never overtake Shanghai anyway, the designated international gateway and financial hub for the country.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 07:17 PM   #9268
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Don't forget population. Shenzhen is home to over 10 million people while Hong Kong is 3 million smaller. This brings the relative difference into perspective.
Actually the difference in population is probably much greater than 3 million but that doesn't really make any difference or change the core point. You are referring to GDP per capita which is the most core indicator of quality of life and wealth of individuals. While I'm referring to the total GDP of the entity (SZ vs HK) which roughly is the core indicator of overall economic importance of the relevant entities. Like micro vs macro. Those are different things we're talking about and they are not contradicting each other.
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:56 PM   #9269
Wrocer
super&megatalls fan

Likes (Received): 748

OK, I'll tell this other words:

Most people in the World know only three Chinese big cities - Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing. Only Hong Kong doesn't take part in some kind of supertall competition (real supertall - I mean over 0,5 km) and I just would like to see an over 500 m project in Hong Kong too, because I think this magnificent city fully deserves for such a tower, in spite of Hong Kong already is powerful and unique big city
Nawiązując do niesprawiedliwych i dziwacznych interpretacji mojej aktywności na forum pragnę zapewnić wszystkich zainteresowanych, że pisuję tu nie na złość komukolwiek, a mój głos w dyskusji wynika z zainteresowania inwestycjami głównie we Wrocławiu, a także z chęci pozyskania i przekazania informacji/opinii z postępów inwestycji w licznych interesujących mnie wątkach i nie ma to nic wspólnego ze spamowaniem/trollowaniem, jak to niektórzy próbują mi zarzucić. Jeżeli ktoś nie toleruje poglądów innych (moich), naprawdę nie musi czytać moich postów.

Last edited by Wrocer; June 5th, 2015 at 02:02 PM.
Wrocer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:59 PM   #9270
downforce

Likes (Received): 10

china is rising, i hope this building are not the same quality as they retail products haha
downforce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 12:10 AM   #9271
luci203

Quote:
Most people in the World know only three Chinese big cities - Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing.
Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing are for now the only Alpha+ cities (with New York and London the only ones in the world with Alpha++)

Guangzhou is Beta+, and Shenzhen is Beta-, but I heard there are plans to reach Alpha ranking by 2050.

Zaz965, TowerVerre:) liked this post
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 12:25 AM   #9272
Eroha

Likes (Received): 7014

www.gaoloumi.com

Munwon, Ivanator, erbse, Zaz965, swatded and 5 others liked this post
Eroha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 12:48 AM   #9273
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by downforce View Post
china is rising, i hope this building are not the same quality as they retail products haha
You're basically saying that you can't afford expensive retail products.
Old June 5th, 2015, 05:04 AM   #9274
YannSZ
Shenzhen !

Likes (Received): 1159

Quote:
... basic outdated conception. I'll try to sum up my point of view as short as possible. Chinese factories produces product that they are told to produce by importers, brands and distributors in foreign countries. The quality is based on the price these compagnies are willing to pay to the Chinese factories, the lower it is the lower the quality will be. China can produce high quality goods if they are paid in consequence.
Remember that China produces Iphones, Ipads, foreign brands cars, satellites, planes etc.... in China they say 一分钱一分货 which means you get what you pay for.
And distributors in our countries are responsible for the quality of the products they put on the market, they can't blame Chinese factories for the quality, it's up to the distributors to check the quality of their products and correct their productions if quality is not up to their standards.

Sorry I'm of-topic but it's something that I care very much.
ShenzhenVille Instagram account: @ShenzhenVille
YannSZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 05:19 AM   #9275
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Actually the difference in population is probably much greater than 3 million but that doesn't really make any difference or change the core point. You are referring to GDP per capita which is the most core indicator of quality of life and wealth of individuals. While I'm referring to the total GDP of the entity (SZ vs HK) which roughly is the core indicator of overall economic importance of the relevant entities. Like micro vs macro. Those are different things we're talking about and they are not contradicting each other.
It is incorrect to assume a city-wide GDP indicator is a sufficient gauge for importance. Shenzhen approaching Hong Kong's GDP total doesn't mean it is more internationally important or cosmopolitan. It also doesn't mean it is more economically important as the financial markets in Shenzhen are still small relative to Shanghai, the destined financial hub for China.

A rising Shenzhen doesn't mean Hong Kong's importance will be diminished. Shenzhen serves a domestic purpose, and Hong Kong does not. You are comparing apples to oranges. Look at how few international flights they have even today!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old June 5th, 2015, 05:34 AM   #9276
YannSZ
Shenzhen !

Likes (Received): 1159

Quote:
What are those 2 low rise structures behind Ping An ?

Are they going to be connected with a pedestrian bridge like in the render?
It's Cocopark, 购物公园, it's mainly a shopping mall for the south part, with many restaurants and cafés. The north part is older and features many bards and restaurants.
ShenzhenVille Instagram account: @ShenzhenVille

luci203, Zaz965 liked this post
YannSZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 02:28 PM   #9277
jogiba

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
You mean like the iPhone and most of the other consumer electronics made on this planet ?

speedy1979, Zaz965 liked this post
jogiba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #9278
snapdragon

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:

Hmm i don't think we have to wait few years. This year Shenzhen GDP is as big as Hong kong's

Quote:

Shenzhen has never been designed to be an international city anyway, so its importance is merely domestic, which is something Hong Kong is not looking for.
Welll I have no idea what makes you say that except for your own outdated notions which can't change despite enough data proving the complete opposite again and again.
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #9279
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post

Welll I have no idea what makes you say that except for your own outdated notions which can't change despite enough data proving the complete opposite again and again.
You need to understand Shenzhen's economy better than merely look at grand GDP figures at a superficial level.

Old June 5th, 2015, 08:54 PM   #9280
snapdragon

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
You need to understand Shenzhen's economy better than merely look at grand GDP figures at a superficial level.
If you had dug deep you would not be making comments like the ones you keeping making

Tags
futian district, pafc, ping an finance center, shenzhen, supertall