daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18217

YORK, ENGLAND - hkskyline's Euro 06 Tour (Part 1)

I had a lot of photos still unprocessed from my 2006 Europe tour. Not knowing how big the backlog has become, I randomly picked a day to see what did I miss, only to realize I had not processed a single photo from my day trip to York, England.

I was on my way to London from Glasgow and I deliberately planned a stopover in York for the day to break up the long train ride. Thanks to fellow Hong Kong forumers who housed me for free in both Scotland and London.

I must say historic cities such as York still look good in cloudy weather. The dimmer lighting really brings out the bricks.

The approach from the railway station. What a beauty.

Why didn't the owner paint the uglier side as well?

At times, blue skies popped up to brighten the streets. What a nice surprise.

I enjoyed many days of clear skies during my previous trips to Sweden, Germany, and the Czech Republic. Still, I was surprised to see the sun in England during spring.

Quite an interesting set of narrow and curvy streets that make up the town centre. Plenty of things to look at and explore. The atmosphere is very serene and historic. I've heard a lot of great things about York before. This did not disappoint at all.

More on my next part, or you can get a sneak preview on my website.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #2
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Likes (Received): 25

Stunning!
LLoydGeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #3
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

York looks very pretty.
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #4
hull.co.uk

Likes (Received): 0

I live there, and it's stunning.
hull.co.uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #5
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 532

Looks great! Feels so old world.
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Jaeger

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Why didn't the owner paint the uglier side as well?
It will be listed, and there will be strict guidelines as what can
and can't be done to the building.

Nice pics though, I like York.
Jaeger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #7
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Yorks a beaut
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #8
ihilaryduff

the farther of new york
ihilaryduff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 01:30 AM   #9
WinoSoul
Affe

Likes (Received): 11

Very beautiful place!
Old August 31st, 2007, 03:59 AM   #10
GrigorisSokratis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihilaryduff View Post
the farther of new york
If you mean the father, it's not York but Amsterdam, and if we consider its discovery it's Paris (by Giovanni da Verrazzano in the service of the French crown back in 1524).

The city was renamed from New Amsterdam to New York in 1664 when the British took over all of New Netherlands.

As for York, the place is stunning man, thank you for the photos it's like a travel to the past and the time machine was SSC
GrigorisSokratis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 04:17 AM   #11
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigorisSokratis View Post
If you mean the father, it's not York but Amsterdam, and if we consider its discovery it's Paris (by Giovanni da Verrazzano in the service of the French crown back in 1524).

The city was renamed from New Amsterdam to New York in 1664 when the British took over all of New Netherlands.
The Step-Father of New York then
Old August 31st, 2007, 12:33 PM   #12
Jaeger

Quote:

As for York, the place is stunning man, thank you for the photos it's like a travel to the past and the time machine was SSC
After taking the land from the Dutch, the King gave the land to the Duke of York and the land further down was given to the Govenor of the Island of Jersey (in the English Channel).

Further down still Englishman William Penn was influential in creating Pennsylvannia (Penn is buried in a rather ordinary looking grave in England).

As for Washington itself, it took it's name from the Washington family who originated from Washington in County Durham, England (see Washington Old Hall - A UK National Trust Property)

Other names taken from the UK on the North East Coast of the US, range from Newark (a place in Nottinghamshire - England), Boston (Lincolnshire), Richmond (Yorkshire and London), New Hampshire (Hampshire - England) and of course such obvious places as Portland, Manchester, Worcestor, Portsmouth, Dartmouth, Rochester etc etc.
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:08 PM   #13
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1142

wonderful pics.
Old August 31st, 2007, 04:30 PM   #14
GrigorisSokratis

But we don't have to forget that New York City before being named like that was New Amsterdam and New York State New Netherlands.

While Albany was first Fort Nassau and later Fort Orange.

Philadelphia was New Stockholm and the area of eastern Pennsylvania and Delaware New Sweden. Wilmington was Fort Christina until 1655, New Castle, DE was Fort Trinity, Strandviken was also part of current Wilmongton.
GrigorisSokratis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 04:51 PM   #15
Jaeger

Quote:
But we don't have to forget that New York City before being named like that was New Amsterdam and New York State New Netherlands.

While Albany was first Fort Nassau and later Fort Orange.

Philadelphia was New Stockholm and the area of eastern Pennsylvania and Delaware New Sweden. Wilmington was Fort Christina until 1655, New Castle, DE was Fort Trinity, Strandviken was also part of current Wilmongton.
I am quite sure the Indians had names for all these places well before the Dutch. The fact is these places are called New York, Albany, Philadelphia, Wilmington etc.

Many British Towns and Cities derive their names from the Romans, indeed York was one of the most important Roman City, where one great Roman Emperor died and another was crowned. The Vikings similarly left their mark on the city, as did numerous others throughout history.

The same can be said of New York, but rather than the Vikings and Romans, the Indians, Dutch, British etc left their mark.

Quote:
So important did York become in Roman Britain that a royal palace was built in the city, and the emperor Septimus Severus stayed here with his imperial court in the years 209-211. By the 4th century Eboracum was the capitol of southern Britannia.

The Emperor Constantius died in York in 306. His son, Constantine the Great, founder of Constantinople and the first Christian Emperor of Rome, was proclaimed emperor in York. The traditional site of his crowning is preserved under York Minster.

The headquarters of the legions was on the site of the Minster. Roman remains were uncovered beneath the church during restoration work, including a 31 ft. high column, which has been re-erected near the south entrance to the Minster.

Last edited by Jaeger; August 31st, 2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old August 31st, 2007, 05:09 PM   #16
Jaeger

A statue of Constantine the Great stands at the site in York
where he was crowned Emperor of Rome (the Roman Empire).

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Jaeger; August 31st, 2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old August 31st, 2007, 07:12 PM   #17
Kaiserkai

i like this kind of architectures very much ~
so beautiful~
Kaiserkai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 09:51 PM   #18
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

there are many places in england that are just as, if not more interesting than york. of course it has the minster which is nice, but its always in scaffolding

this is typical achitecture of a small english town. of course there are places that were either blitzed down or more likely knocked down post war and replaced with messy concrete shit
Old September 4th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #19
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
I think he was just referring to the fact that New York is named after this place. If we are talking the father of New York though, I expect there were people living there before it's 'discovery'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
Other names taken from the UK on the North East Coast of the US, range from Newark (a place in Nottinghamshire - England), Boston (Lincolnshire), Richmond (Yorkshire and London), New Hampshire (Hampshire - England) and of course such obvious places as Portland, Manchester, Worcestor, Portsmouth, Dartmouth, Rochester etc etc.
And Birmingham too!
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote