daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2007, 02:26 AM   #1
MDguy

PHILADELPHIA | EVO at Cira Centre South | 122m | 400ft | 33 fl | Com

EVO at Cira Centre South

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.multihousingnews.com/news...004073503.html

PhaseII: EVO at Cira Centre South (2014)

Phase III: The Walnut Tower at Cira Centre South (2017?)

Both above: http://hiddencityphila.org/2013/04/e...at-cira-south/

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Previous designs:

http://nakedphilly.com/tag/cira-centre-south/

ciracentre.com

Quote:
New towers to rise on 30th St.

By Suzette Parmley
Inquirer Staff Writer

The University of Pennsylvania and Brandywine Realty Trust will announce plans today for a dramatic residential, commercial and hotel project on 30th Street.
The 14-acre Cira Centre South project, which includes a 40- to 50-story office tower on Walnut Street and a 25- to 30-story residential tower on Chestnut Street, will be developed by a partnership of the university and Brandywine, which is based in Radnor.

Penn president Amy Gutmann said in an interview yesterday that the project would help unite University City with Center City and provide a gleaming "Gateway to the University."

The partners said the towers were designed by Pelli Clarke Pelli, the architectural firm that created the prismatic Cira Centre, completed last year just north of 30th Street Station.

Cira Centre South will also include the previously announced conversion of the 862,000-square-foot U.S. Postal Service building at 30th and Market Streets into offices for 5,000 employees of the IRS.

The post office conversion and construction of a 2,400-space parking garage will be the $365 million first phase of the project, to be completed by 2010. The office and residential towers will follow, to be completed by 2012 at a cost of about $400 million. The university has agreed to lease 100,000 square feet of the office tower's 400,000 to 500,000 square feet.

Assembling the 14-acre parcel has taken years. Penn and the Postal Service began talks about five years ago. Keating Development Co. was an agent for the Postal Service in the negotiations in 2001, which began about the same time Brandywine was undertaking the development of Cira Centre.

The university completed its purchase of the land last month, university and Brandywine officials said yesterday.

"Penn has wanted this land for two decades, and the stars finally aligned and we were prepared," said Gutmann. "We had the opportunity, and we brought great partners into it."

Gutmann said the development would be the first step of the university's master plan - called Penn Connects - to create athletic fields and open space, offices, and other amenities for its burgeoning student and faculty population.

"It provides a much-needed connector between our campus and Center City, and improves the urban infrastructure of the university and creates a vital new center of commerce for the whole region," she said. "It's converting a surface parking lot and eyesores into a mixed-use, greener, 24/7 neighborhood that unites and enlivens both sides of the Schuylkill."

The deal will let Brandywine, owner of a $5.5 billion portfolio of properties with more than 40 million square feet of office space nationally, fulfill its goal of expanding the scope of the original 32-story Cira Centre. This is the first time the firm has partnered with a major university.

The company has five other development projects under way, at Princeton; Plymouth Meeting; Oakland, Calif.; Austin, Texas; and Fairfax County, Va.

"It represents the culmination of many years of work of trying to create a commercial mixed-use facility within University City," said Jerry Sweeney, president and chief executive officer of Brandywine. "It validates the investment thesis for Cira Centre and provides a tremendous economic engine for West Philadelphia and University City."

Brandywine entered into a 90-year ground lease with Penn for the development site.

The company plans to demolish the post office annex to build the towers and the parking garage. Half of the 2,400 spaces in the planned garage will be dedicated to the IRS, which signed a 20-year lease this week for space in the main post office building starting in 2010. The IRS will use the new site as its Philadelphia regional headquarters.

Sweeney said in an interview yesterday at his Cira Centre office that he had wanted to develop a similar building since it opened. He said Brandywine had been actively looking for other development opportunities in University City since 2001.

He said the overall development site, similar to Cira Centre, sits on a Keystone Opportunity Improvement Zone, which provides for an abatement on city and state taxes for 15 years. The program was originally created to give companies incentives to relocate their firms to distressed or depressed areas.

"With the general tax benefits of the KOIZ, there is a market for a property like this within the general vicinity of Center City," said Kevin Gillen, vice president of economic-consulting firm Econsult and a Wharton School economist who tracks housing and public-policy issues.

Sweeney said the residential tower planned for Chestnut and 30th Streets would offer about 225 rental units, with some ground-level retail. He said no price had been set for the rental units.

The target market would be employees in the area and students from Penn and Drexel Universities, he said, "who view that area as a desirable place to live and work."

"All the market conditions are favorable as far as increasing the residential component in this part of this city," Sweeney said. "There are 135,000 people within walking distance of the Cira Centre. There are tremendous demographics at play that certainly support a demand for increased residential, commercial or retail."

Gillen said the housing-market fundamentals today were far more supportive of rental units than they were 15 years ago, during the last housing downturn.

"The Center City residential market remains robust," he said. "Even though the housing market is slacking, the rental market has not. In fact, there are a number of condo owners who have considered converting their units to rentals."

Sweeney said the office tower would also house a 225-room hotel and 50 condominium units on the top floors.

Brandywine is financing the first phase of the project. Demolition of the parking garage and renovation of the post office will commence in a few weeks, he said.

Sweeney said that he was looking for financial partners to build the towers and that their construction was subject to "market and financial conditions." He said they were anticipated to be completed by 2012. He also said that, with Penn committing to a long-term lease in the building, he was confident Brandywine would proceed "with the contemplated development we have outlined."

A Penn spokesman said the space the administrators would vacate when they moved to the new Cira Centre would be converted into teaching and research use.

Landlocked and unable to move farther west without disrupting residential neighborhoods, Penn had to acquire the land, said Craig Carnaroli, the university's executive vice president.

"There was no other option," he said. "We've been eyeing that land since the early '80s."

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news..._30th_St_.html

The original Cira Centre (29 fl office) opened in 2005.

[img]http://images.*******************/images-medium-large/cira-centre-and-amtrak-garage-30th-and-arch-streets-philadelphia-pa-19104-duncan-pearson.jpg[/img]
http://*******************/featured/...n-pearson.html

Last edited by desertpunk; September 27th, 2014 at 10:33 PM.
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:13 AM   #2
Jero

Likes (Received): 0

That is really beautiful tower, although the small one is a bit simple. But I really hope this one will get build.
Jero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM   #3
DAMN I m good
sould have been kazaaam !

Likes (Received): 8

a very modern design I like it
DAMN I m good no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Golden Age

Likes (Received): 150

In general, I'd like to see less glass used on skyscraper facades, but the form of the buildings wins me over. Good news for Philly.
Golden Age no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:25 AM   #5
Taylorhoge

Likes (Received): 10

another great project Philly is going up
Taylorhoge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:30 PM   #6
Eric E

Likes (Received): 3

Great news for Philly! Nice looking tower!
Eric E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:17 PM   #7
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

I like the tall one. It has a very sleek design. I don't know about the smaller one. It's not that I don't like the design (because I like the first Cira Center building) I just don't know if I would want a similar building close by.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM   #8
SkyLerm
Architranceture Feelings

Likes (Received): 28

Great development, i already love Cira Center soo much

Cuchiville
SkyLerm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #9
kansas

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElVoltageDR View Post
I like the tall one. It has a very sleek design. I don't know about the smaller one. It's not that I don't like the design (because I like the first Cira Center building) I just don't know if I would want a similar building close by.
Philly seems to have a thing for twins. They have 3 or 4 sets of identical twin buildings, I'm sure its by design that the smaller building is almost identical to the standing tower.
kansas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 04:06 AM   #10
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 111

This is a really nice building. I think it'll fit in with the skyline really well.
The taller tower looks really elegant and classy. Good news for Philly
Old September 4th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #11
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

nice building, it would create a wonderful complex together with he one designed by cesar pelli.
great!
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #12
some_stupid_nut

Likes (Received): 3

I like the bigger one. The other smaller one is too similar to original Cira and kinda cheapens the uniqueness of the original me thinks.
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #13
globill

Location: I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country.
Likes (Received): 8

More good news for Philly.

"I told you what I thought about that when I said I do not trust Obama and I probably never will. He hasnn't proven anything to me or you yet but he has flapped his lips plenty. And that I guess, is enough for some of you smarties in here." nygirl
globill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #14
Phobos

Very elegant,as most of Pelli's work.Great for Philly!
Old September 16th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #15
fish

Likes (Received):

Looks very good.

I hope they build it.

I've seen development illustration showing other towers (taller) surrounding the Cira Centre - in this update, it seems that the original idea was scrapped completely.

Zefire liked this post
Old September 16th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #16
bryson662001
Rittenhouse Hi-rise

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_stupid_nut View Post
I like the bigger one. The other smaller one is too similar to original Cira and kinda cheapens the uniqueness of the original me thinks.
I agree. One odd shaped building is good. Three in a row is......odd. And the last thing this city needs is yet another blue glass tower. There are way too many already.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 04:18 AM   #17
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

The taller tower in these renderings looks exactly like a 50 story office tower planned for 755 Figueroa st. in downtown Los Angeles, designed by Richard Keating.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:37 PM   #18
Taylorhoge

maybe the area around Cira center would devlop and grow and theyre would be a new business district for philly now that would be amazing
Taylorhoge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #19
MDguy

got this news from ssp

Officials break ground on Cira Centre South

Anthony Campisi

Daily Pennsylvanian

It's not every day that an Ivy League president operates a trackhoe.
But Penn President Amy Gutmann used one yesterday before an audience of local business and political leaders, including Mayor-elect Michael Nutter and city Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell, to officially began construction on the recently acquired postal lands.

Gutmann kicked off the demolition of the postal Annex, the building attached to the famed post office located at 30th and Market streets.

It's being cleared to make room for Cira Centre South, a development by Brandywine Realty Trust on the northern 14 acres of property the University bought from the U.S. Postal Service over the summer.

If the project is approved by city planning and zoning authorities, Brandywine hopes to put a 40- to 50-story office tower and a 25- to 30-story residential tower on the site to complement its Cira Centre development, attached to 30th Street Station.

Though the plan is facing criticism from the city Planning Commission for potential traffic tie-ups, Gutmann, Brandywine and city officials were all smiles yesterday.

Calling Cira Centre South the "linchpin" of Penn's development with Brandywine, Gutmann said the demolition marked "beginning of the beginning" of an attempt to transform the area east of campus into a vibrant neighborhood that will attract new residents and businesses to the area.

Councilwoman Blackwell, whose district includes Penn and the postal lands, agreed.

"We think West Philadelphia is looking kind of good," she said in a speech before taking her own place at the controls of the trackhoe.

Brandywine CEO Jerry Sweeney was quick to stress the project's economic benefits, noting a plan to include minority contractors and construction workers in developing the site.

Penn Connects, the University's expansion plan, "has the ability to truly transform the city," he said.

In her speech, Gutmann enumerated ways in which she thinks the project will do just that, stressing that Penn Connects provides a way to expand campus "in a way that would add to West Philadelphia" rather than displacing residents to the west.

She also said Penn Connects would bridge the gap between Center and University cities, a theme echoed by Mayor John Street, who said the project "is really reaching across the river."

The development will include offices, residential space, a hotel, parking and retail between 30th, Walnut and Arch streets between the Schuylkill River and Penn's current campus. In addition to Cira South, Penn Connects also includes plans for Penn Park, a collection of athletic and recreational fields on the east end of campus.

Penn and Brandywine expect Cira South to cost about $800 million and have the project ready in phases, with the first phase completed in the third quarter of 2010.

- Staff writer Roger Weber contributed reporting to this article.
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #20
Taylorhoge

sounds great any pics of the annex building?

Tags
cira centre south, evo at cira centre, philadelphia