daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #21
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

In Washington state on I-90 some 30-50 km west of Seattle, they made a variable speed stretch (depending on weather conditions). The billboard is not a fancy one and it only shows text, but still a useful feature. I haven't seen variable speed limits in any other western states.

In California, this kind of billboards were used only to display travel time to certain destinations, accidents warnings and kidnapped children alerts.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #22
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

I was hoping that, in the States, at least with electronic signs they would be more indulgent with the speed limit. It's a small pic, but I can still see the weather is nice and clear. 65 mph - 104 km/h is a very low speed limit for Interstates , many countries in Europe have 100 km/h for regular 2-lane roads.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #23
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

^ haha, but in the states they give EVERYBODY a license cuz theres no other way to get around!

at least where i live (with posted at 65 mph), everyone goes 70-75 on average. people go 80+ all the time.

oh, yea - and in the bay area we have electronic signs that tell travel times and accidents and blah blah, but no variable speed limits.
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #24
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Well, when I drove in that area, the speed limit was set to 112 km/h (70 mph) which is the maximum allowed in Washington. While 112 km/h is still too slow for the interstates, I would like to mention that unlike European mountainous motorways which are flat, American interstates have much more curves. So, I would say that personally I felt on that stretch of I-90, 112 km/h would be completely justified.

P.S. Most of 2-lane roads in Washington are also posted with 100 km/h, and some of them even have 105 km/h (higher than German 2-lane landstrassen).
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #25
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Well, when I drove in that area, the speed limit was set to 112 km/h (70 mph) which is the maximum allowed in Washington. While 112 km/h is still too slow for the interstates, I would like to mention that unlike European mountainous motorways which are flat, American interstates have much more curves.
It seems, that you didn't drive a lot on mountainous European motorways. At least in Alps they can be very curvy, but they still allow 130 km/h. Actually, for 130 km/h design speed, curve radius can be 700 m.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #26
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1085

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
It seems, that you didn't drive a lot on mountainous European motorways. At least in Alps they can be very curvy, but they still allow 130 km/h. Actually, for 130 km/h design speed, curve radius can be 700 m.
I think no european country designs for 130. Hungary designs for 140,and allows 130 on motorways. I suppose Germany even designs for higher speeds.
+its not just the bend. The newer motorways here are like the HSR tracks...if you know what I mean...like a Nascar track.
RawLee está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #27
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

Too long straight is also not good. We call that "Polderblindness", when people stare at the distance of a straight road, and have no idea what happens near them. A lot of one-car accidents happens this way on rural roads. This happens lesser on motorways here, because there are almost no empty motorways, except at night.

I think the German road designing for non-motorways is far superior than what we see in the Netherlands, the roads tends to be as narrow as possible, so a truck can just drive on it, but nothing more. Double middle markings, side markings 20 - 50cm away from the side etcetera. Dutch National roads have often lanes not wider than 2,75m.

Germans are really knowing how to build a Bundesstraße; straigth, wide (sometimes 4m per lane), and good markings, but also a lot of more capacity because of non level crossings. (fewer traffic lights).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #28
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Too long straight is also not good. We call that "Polderblindness", when people stare at the distance of a straight road, and have no idea what happens near them. A lot of one-car accidents happens this way on rural roads. This happens lesser on motorways here, because there are almost no empty motorways, except at night.

I think the German road designing for non-motorways is far superior than what we see in the Netherlands, the roads tends to be as narrow as possible, so a truck can just drive on it, but nothing more. Double middle markings, side markings 20 - 50cm away from the side etcetera. Dutch National roads have often lanes not wider than 2,75m.

Germans are really knowing how to build a Bundesstraße; straigth, wide (sometimes 4m per lane), and good markings, but also a lot of more capacity because of non level crossings. (fewer traffic lights).
Talking about at-grade intersections in Netherlands, it's quite curious to find that many intersections are managed by traffic lights, even in "national roads" or at intersections between a motorway and a conventional road. In other countries in Europe it's quite unusual.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #29
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
Talking about at-grade intersections in Netherlands, it's quite curious to find that many intersections are managed by traffic lights, even in "national roads" or at intersections between a motorway and a conventional road. In other countries in Europe it's quite unusual.
We have a traffic light on M3 motorway inside Budapest
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #30
wyqtor
Coexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
From what Chris shared with us about the traffic congestion, I say there probably isn't any other good solution available - roundabouts are quite impractical at those volumes of traffic, and dangerous too. Also traffic lights can probably be adjusted to stay green longer on the main route and can also be synchronized...
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #31
wyqtor
Coexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
We have a traffic light on M3 motorway inside Budapest
Really? The only one I saw was the one at the huge stack interchange with Hungaria Avenue. Is there another beside that one?
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #32
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
Really? The only one I saw was the one at the huge stack interchange with Hungaria Avenue. Is there another beside that one?

sorry,I cant find photo for it...
BTW,there are no traffic lights at M3-Hungária junction...
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #33
wyqtor
Coexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
BTW,there are no traffic lights at M3-Hungária junction...
I guess so... It was 1 May, I remembered the traffic jam and automatically thought there must have been a traffic light.
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #34
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
I guess so... It was 1 May, I remembered the traffic jam and automatically thought there must have been a traffic light.
The traffic light are farther away from there
The red lines are the traffic lights.
Old September 24th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #35
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Sometimes texts can get scrambled...

Even a textline-VMS can show symbols

Newest development are GRIP (Graphic-VMS).

Here a variety of road systems in the Netherlands:
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:12 AM   #36
kulani

Likes (Received): 26

We have some of those signs on highways in Johannesburg, South Africa

kulani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #37
davidmkelly

Likes (Received): 0

More electronic signs in England

Here are some examples of the Message Sign Mark 4 (MS4) which are being installed on motorways in England to replace the older post mounted matrix signal style indicators (which were located in the central reservation). These photos are from the M4 motorway near Reading. The signs use LEDs and can display a range of text and graphical symbols.

The following photos show gantry mounted matrix signals and a two row x 12 character message sign (MS2).

Regards
Dave
davidmkelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #38
traffic-light-man

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
Newest development are GRIP (Graphic-VMS).
That's the VMSL MS4 Riegel LED board. The Netherlands ordered 4 to trial, and I belive have installed several more subsequently.

Variable Message Signs Limited.

Regards, Simon.
traffic-light-man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #39
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I don't think that sign is handy when you drive past it for the first time. It is quite chaotic and you have to search for the arrow and the place where you go. By the time you've done that, you've past it already. It took me a couple of times to get it all clear
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #40
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

It's probably meant for the everyday commuter. I agree it's quite a mess, the sign isn't announced, so it's quite sudden. But it's expensive to repeat the GRIP a few times.

In France, they usually only show times, because there's often nothing to report on the rural Autoroutes:

A5 Troyes:
[IMG]http://i34.************/15ml8if.jpg[/IMG]

A75 Lodčve: (sign says: gas station Caylar, lots of LPG)
[IMG]http://i37.************/11mesd1.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote