daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old September 6th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #41
bustcapl
Cork 2005

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN21 View Post
The thing about accents/people unable to articulate a sentence is hardly a Liverpool-only 'problem'. I think the notion that a Scouse accent is perceived to be 'trouble' is out of date. Look at Newcastle - a thick Geordie accent is incomprehensible, but that doesnt stop Orange (a massive telecommunications company) operating a major call centre from there.

I was educated at a Liverpool University, I am employed by a large company based in Liverpool. The industry is hugely London-dominated. However, the department of the company I work in has experienced rapid growth over the past few years, inparticular over the last year. It employs people from all over the UK with well-paid, industry-competetive careers. The executive level are all locals. Professionals from equivalent jobs in London have been attracted to work in this company in Liverpool. This is an example of a company that is benefitting directly from the boom currently being experienced in Liverpool. In turn, this company is able to employ skilled, educated, professional people from the Merseyside region and compete nationally, whilst also delivering products to an international customer base.

This certainly isnt/wont be a one off. I am starting to agree with those posters who have suggested the major problem is the lack of top class office space. Build it and they will come - it just wont happen over night.

Also, if Peel are to be taken seriously with their LW and WW projects, then this is a major company that is willing to invest billions in Liverpool and the wider area. Major banking and insurance institutions will be attracted over the next few years as this renaissance continues to snowball. It just wont happen after a few towers have been completed. Give it time - it will happen.

cheers JDN that was the kind of story i was looking for !

www.justgiving.com/trevorcaplisnyc08
bustcapl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 7th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #42
William McKenzie

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN21 View Post
The thing about accents/people unable to articulate a sentence is hardly a Liverpool-only 'problem'. I think the notion that a Scouse accent is perceived to be 'trouble' is out of date. Look at Newcastle - a thick Geordie accent is incomprehensible, but that doesnt stop Orange (a massive telecommunications company) operating a major call centre from there.

......................... Major banking and insurance institutions will be attracted over the next few years as this renaissance continues to snowball. It just wont happen after a few towers have been completed. Give it time - it will happen.
I agree it is a nationwide problem, but it is another issue whereby Liverpool is unfairly stigmatised. Self pity it is not -- just a desire for a fair hearing.

I recently posted an example of Aintree holding a 'Grand National Celebration Ball', not in Liverpool, but in London. Why? Because the relevant people and press would not come to Liverpool ......... so Aintree went to London. Whilst attitudes (on both sides) like that still exist, we are in for a struggle.

Your last point of a 'build it and they will come' ethos I fully support. And barring the Edge Lane fiasco, I am becoming more and more impressed with the city centre at least.
William McKenzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #43
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
I agree it is a nationwide problem, but it is another issue whereby Liverpool is unfairly stigmatised. Self pity it is not -- just a desire for a fair hearing.

I recently posted an example of Aintree holding a 'Grand National Celebration Ball', not in Liverpool, but in London. Why? Because the relevant people and press would not come to Liverpool ......... so Aintree went to London. Whilst attitudes (on both sides) like that still exist, we are in for a struggle.

Your last point of a 'build it and they will come' ethos I fully support. And barring the Edge Lane fiasco, I am becoming more and more impressed with the city centre at least.
Think about it a bit more

There is no such thing as a Liverpool accent that everyone speaks. There is a wide variety of Liverpool accents spoken in the city. One of the striking things about hearing people in the Croxteth area talking about events around the murder of Rhys was the variety of accents.

Liverpool accents are used all the time in advertising because people find them warm and friendly. What you are talking about is a harsh scouse accent that is in itself often exaggerated to make it harsher for reasons I won't go into! This is the accent that has become sterotyped as the Liverpool accent, and this is the one that is parodied, and used in so called 'research' in this area.

As for the celebration ball. It was a jockey club celebration ball, most of its members are based in the London region and will organise events to suit themselves. If Aintree's owners had organised an event to coincide with the Grand National that would have been a win - win. Alternatively they could have organised an event at Aintree at another time and made it irresistable. This would, of course, have required a lot of effort on behalf of the owners and maybe, following a cost benefit analysis, they decided that it wasn't worth it.

if race goers can come up for the National (and yachting types for the round the world clipper race) it clearly demonstrates that people are not adverse to coming up to the city when an event is properly organised.

We need to stop taking things personally as a city and reign in our tendency to scan for a slight. If we are slighted then we should deal with it with hard evidence. We need to allow for the possibility that there may be an element of truth in what is said that we need to address. By rightly taking issue with any unfairness we shouldn't take our eye of the ball in terms of what we might need to change to make the city stronger.

Most people in my experience are well disposed towards Liverpool. Yes, their perceptions are shaped by some of the sterotypes (positive ones as well as negative) but ultimately they will make their own minds up.

Sadly, a lot of the really negative comments come from people within the greater Liverpool area (most often from the Wirral but elsewhere, too), and ex-pats. In particular there is a lot of snobbism about how people talk and their accent that serves to remind us just how English we really are
Babaloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #44
William McKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
Think about it a bit more

:
I have thought about it a bit more.

Your point about different Liverpool accents may be valid for local people who can tell the difference, but nationally, it is unfortunate that the accent is still looked down upon unless it is for an advertisement requiring a "working class" or "down to their" quality. You won't find a business leader being betrayed with a Scouse accent.

Quote:
if race goers can come up for the National (and yachting types for the round the world clipper race) it clearly demonstrates that people are not adverse to coming up to the city when an event is properly organised.

:
So why was it not organised properly?

I think that you missed the point entirely. The ball was actively supported by Aintree, who gave it their blessing. One reason given was that journalists would not travel to Liverpool. Strangely, with all those high-profile journalists attending, I failed to find a single word written about it in a newspaper.

Would you be happy for a celebration of Liverpool Football Club to be held in London? Would a celebration of Manchester United be allowed to be held in London? I think the answer would be no on both counts. And rightly so.

I do feel slighted about such events although not hung up. Indeed, if anyone is hung up, then it is Aintree. Rather than make their own celebration a success, they took the easy option and headed off down to London.

They should have bullied people into coming to the city and made sure it was a resounding success, demonstrating the great leaps the city is making. Instead they have sent out a message that this city is not capable of holding such an event.

Look at after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.
Old September 7th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #45
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
I have thought about it a bit more.

Your point about different Liverpool accents may be valid for local people who can tell the difference, but nationally, it is unfortunate that the accent is still looked down upon unless it is for an advertisement requiring a "working class" or "down to their" quality. You won't find a business leader being betrayed with a Scouse accent.
Terry Leahy doesn't seem to have any problems (I'm assuming you are using the term 'scouse' as a euphemism for a Liverpool accent)

If you're talking working class accents of any derivation - they are few and far between in the higher echelons of business. It's not just Liverpool's working class accents that are singled out.

Quote:
I think that you missed the point entirely. The ball was actively supported by Aintree, who gave it their blessing. One reason given was that journalists would not travel to Liverpool. Strangely, with all those high-profile journalists attending, I failed to find a single word written about it in a newspaper.
Could you source this claim a bit more? What do you mean by 'Aintree'? Who actually organised the ball? Who was the ball for? Who was invited? etc. Its hard to give a proper response without more background info.

Did the owners of Aintree try to organise something but were told to do one?
Babaloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #46
William McKenzie

Quote:
Terry Leahy doesn't seem to have any problems (I'm assuming you are using the term 'scouse' as a euphemism for a Liverpool accent)
He is hardly an example of someone with an obvious Scouse accent. Of course Liverpool people are as capable as any of being high acheivers and there are numerous examples.

And did I type 'betrayed'? .......... I actually meant 'portrayed' (ie by the media etc) .. oops! Many surveys would back up negative attitudes to our accent. It's wrong, but we just have to deal with it and try harder.

Quote:
Could you source this claim a bit more?
From the ex CEO himself in writing:

"On a number of occasions we have considered moving some of our press and public events to Liverpool from London. On each occasion that we have looked into this, we have found it impossible to persuade the relevant journalists to come to the function in Liverpool, whereas they will always do it in London."

So they caved in. They should have bullied them up here made it a success in Liverpool.
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #47
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

it will only do that in any significant way when we ditch the stupid 'region' where Liverpool's role is cast as 'second fiddle'.. who wants to go to the second fiddle?

Also the basic assumption implied in this threads title is a little iffy. What famous companies EVER came to Liverpool, rather than being created here...er, ones that stayed the course, had an impact and helped us to grow anyway that would be. Main point... 'inward investment/branch plants' etc do not revive cities... MAKING wealth does!
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #48
Metrolink

http://www.chamberonline.co.uk/polic...the_Cities.pdf

interesting read no doubt.
Metrolink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #49
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 601

Why is there a circle over Runcorn?
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #50
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Quote:
The long overdue
awarding of the UNESCO World Heritage Status for the city’s famous waterfront
and the Capital of Culture title for 2008 have reinforced a regeneration process that
has been ongoing for several decades.
Quote:
nearby Royal Birkbeck will host the 2008 Golf Open.
Quote:
National Museum of Liverpool
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #51
Metrolink

Seems you don't hold your Chambre of Commerce in great respect ???
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #52
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I don't hold the proof reader for that document in great respect. I mean, Royal Birkbeck is just plain stupidity. Birkdale is a world famous golf course. Lazy, lazy journo.

WTF is a Chambre doing in England, anyway?
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #53
Metrolink

The Liverpool section was written by Jack Stopforth from the Liverpool Chamnber of Commerce and Industry.

Interesting it's not a Merseyside Chamber???
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #54
kung_fuzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrolink View Post
The Liverpool section was written by Jack Stopforth from the Liverpool Chamnber of Commerce and Industry.

Interesting it's not a Merseyside Chamber???
They changed from Liverpool to merseyside and then back to Liverpool.
It's been Liverpool for a few years now.
kung_fuzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #55
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Yet it still got past the thick proof-reader.
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #56
Metrolink

Strange how you laugh at someone in quite a high position in the Liverpool business scene as being 'thick'.
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #57
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

The proof-reader?
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #58
Metrolink

Do you not think Mr Stopforth would have asked for someone in Liverpool to proof read the Liverpool sectioin?

Surely the BCC would rely on the information coming from the cities as being acurate, and would not have a clue about the names of golf courses etc in the different cities?
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #59
Metrolink

From page ii...

Quote:
Editorial note
The opinions expressed in this report are those of the authors and may not
necessarily represent those of the British Chambers of Commerce.
Hillarious how someone responsible for attracting business to Liverpool is so thick???
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #60
kung_fuzi

This is some good news at last,let's hope it continues to progress.

This potentially cumbersome and inherently adversarial approach appears to
be working better than one might have anticipated. Already, visiting Ministers
have had to concede that the Liverpool city-region is speaking with a single
voice for the first time in many years and that, importantly, the mechanism is
capable of engaging business.
kung_fuzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote