daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #81
gappa
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
i'm very much in love with melbourne. i would leave town tonight if they'd let me work there
Stupid visa regulations huh! We'd love for you to come join us here; hopefully they'll see reason and throw open the doors.
gappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #82
arbeiter

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gappa View Post
Stupid visa regulations huh! We'd love for you to come join us here; hopefully they'll see reason and throw open the doors.
I miss the skilled migrant cut by just a few points, I wish they had "amnesty months" or something. I've thought about coming there illegally (ssh!) but don't want to have to work at a vietnamese restaurant in footscray.
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #83
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12279

I made a request in my photothread that it would be amazing to see some shots of the old theatres in Melbourne... so if you are downtown with your camera some day, and have nothing better to do...please keep that in mind!
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #84
gappa
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 123

Here's just a couple of the Princess TB. I'll snap a few more next time I'm in town.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
gappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 03:36 AM   #85
Jaborandi

Likes (Received): 125

Thanks gappa - she is a real beaut!
Jaborandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:23 AM   #86
salvius

Likes (Received): 12

I came to this thread by way of the link back from Taller_Better's blog photo post. And I'm sure glad I did! An excellent, excellent thread!!!
salvius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #87
wowsim

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallo_3 View Post
Erhmm i don't think you have any idea what you are talking about!!
I have lived in Italy for 15 years and i can assure you that the food
you find in supermarket there is almost gourmet (Brands like Findus, Mulino Bianco, Kinder Ferrero, San Carlo etc are absolutely delicious) Here some samples of products

I certainly cannot say that about Coles and Safeway here
The frozen food is just awful here, it really makes me puke
Not to mention lack of choice and quality when it comes to snacks and Biscuits
The only brand you seem to have for biscuits is Arnott and it doesn't taste that good really

I am not disputing fresh produce of course which is great, i am just saying how bad packaged food is here

Oh I thought you meant food in general... Yes Italian supermarkets have an astonishing variety of processed pastries and cakes. I used to go supermarket shopping every few days and try something new every time... I barely scratched the surface of what the closest esselunga had on offer after 3 months... Yum.
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #88
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvius View Post
I came to this thread by way of the link back from Taller_Better's blog photo post. And I'm sure glad I did! An excellent, excellent thread!!!
Isn't it amazing? When you go through the thread you will see many similarities between Melbourne and our city.... gappa is a master at capturing Melbourne

ps thanks for that pic of the Princess, gappa... I hope some day to see some interior shots!
Old November 8th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #89
Amaruu
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Another awesome Melbourne thread. Thanks.

It just amazes me how often Melbourne is compared to other cities in terms of similarity.

I have heard or read people say that Melbourne reminds them of:

Barcelona
Montreal
Toronto
Adelaide (funnily enough)
Chicago
Philadelphia
Boston
LA (sprawl and freeways)
Paris (from an English tourist commenting on the Yarra River)
London
Manchester
Thessaloniki
Milan

and others which escape me at the moment.

Steven Speildberg once said that Melbourne was an ideal location to shoot a movie based pretty much anywhere in the world because it was so versatile, it could be setup to resemble pretty much any city.

Thanks again.
Amaruu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #90
Mesh22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallo_3 View Post
Erhmm i don't think you have any idea what you are talking about!!
I have lived in Italy for 15 years and i can assure you that the food
you find in supermarket there is almost gourmet (Brands like Findus, Mulino Bianco, Kinder Ferrero, San Carlo etc are absolutely delicious) Here some samples of products

[IMG]http://i20.************/2u7t8us.jpg[/IMG]
^

"100% communista"
Mesh22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #91
Mesh22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaruu View Post

It just amazes me how often Melbourne is compared to other cities in terms of similarity.

Barcelona
Montreal
Toronto
Chicago
Philadelphia
Boston
LA (sprawl and freeways)
London
Manchester
Thessaloniki
Milan

Steven Speildberg once said that Melbourne was an ideal location to shoot a movie based pretty much anywhere in the world because it was so versatile, it could be setup to resemble pretty much any city.

Thanks again.
That's why Melbourne has been used by various US productions to step in as a substitute to New York or other US locations, usually when the production is on the cheap. They simply send the traffic up the other side of the street - I saw them doing it for 'Ghost Rider' - for example.

Last edited by Mesh22; November 9th, 2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old November 9th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #92
Mickeebee

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaruu View Post

Barcelona
Montreal
Toronto
Chicago
Philadelphia
Boston
LA (sprawl and freeways)
London
Manchester
Thessaloniki
Milan

Thanks again.
Melbourne and Barcelona could not be any more different.
Mickeebee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 05:11 AM   #93
Mesh22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeebee View Post
I lived in Barcelona for five months afew years back and I think there are some similarities. They are both the respective 'second' city of their nations, but cradle the arts and culture, and are far more alternative socially aware than their largest city.

Melbourne could learn alot from Barcelona on how good it can be to be the dark horse 'Second City'. Melbourne has already taken the hint over the past decade and we are leading the way in areas no other Australian cities are considering.
Old November 10th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #94
Brisbaner21
Sunshine City

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeebee View Post
I agree. I travel to Spain quite often, and Barcelona is an amazing city. Yes, they both have a great arts scene and they are both their countries second city, but Barcelona and Melbourne are very different. Barcelona has more of a "beach" city feel to it, while Melbourne is more Chicago I would say. Barcelona could be compared to Los Angeles, minus the whole sprawling like crazy. It all has to do with the climate I think.
Brisbaner21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #95
Alibaba

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesh22 View Post

. Melbourne has already taken the hint over the past decade and we are leading the way in areas no other Australian cities are considering.
what do you mean? elaborate pls
Old November 11th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #96
Amaruu
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

I was in Barcelona in June for 7 days and I found it similar to Melbourne in many ways. I did the hop on hop off tour there twice and pretty much saw all there is to see. Of course the Gaudi architecture is spectacular, you also have Gaudi park. But then on the other side of town, you have all those ugly 1970s apartment buildings which now look tacky. Barcelona is very compact, hardly any sprawl at all. Its surrounded by hills and ocean, and can pretty much only sprawl back towards the end heading towards France. It is filled with tourists, as is all of Europe really, and everything pretty much happens around the La Rumbles. I loved Barcelona.

Melbourne on the other hand has this big city centre, density build up around that centre and then sprawls flatly as far as the eye can see. That is the big difference. But everything else, I found similar, as have others.

It has been reported that Barcelona has looked to Melbourne and the way it has been successful in acquiring some big sporting events. Dubai has also looked at the Melbourne model.

You go to Paris where they have a 'don't give a shit what you think' attitude, and then you go to Barcelona where they are trying hard to please the world, you will note that Barcelona is very much like Melbourne in that department. At the end of the day, Barcelona and Melbourne rock, but if you had to pick a place to live a quality life, you would pick Melbourne.

Anyhow, sorry to get off topic, continue this great thread.
Amaruu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #97
wowsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisbaner21 View Post
Barcelona has more of a "beach" city feel to it, while Melbourne is more Chicago I would say. Barcelona could be compared to Los Angeles, minus the whole sprawling like crazy. It all has to do with the climate I think.
Err.. Barcelona and Melbourne have almost identical average temps. From weather.com comparison of averages:

Comparison Weather Facts

* The overall average high temperatures for Melbourne, Australia and Barcelona, Spain are the same.

* On average Melbourne, Australia is cooler than Barcelona, Spain by 1°C.

Barcelona may be sunnier in winter though...
http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...ocid2=SPXX0015

And from what I remember of Barcelona's beaches they are very similar to Melbourne's city and suburb bay beaches... but fewer in number...

For the record Barcelona is my favourite European city that I have visited...And I think any wholesale comparison between Melbourne and Barcelona would be overly complementary to Melbourne. That said there are parts of Melbourne that compare very easily with Barcelona, the CBD, Port Melbourne, St Kilda and Sorrento/Portsea for instance.

Last edited by wowsim; November 12th, 2007 at 07:14 AM.
wowsim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #98
Dean

Likes (Received): 914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
I made a request in my photothread that it would be amazing to see some shots of the old theatres in Melbourne... so if you are downtown with your camera some day, and have nothing better to do...please keep that in mind!
I have a few, but none of their amazing interiors. Click on my sig and have a look at my collection of Melbourne's old architecture.

Princess' Theatre
image hosted on flickr

Regent Theatre
image hosted on flickr
Dean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #99
primal beauty
Aesthetics

Likes (Received): 131

I personaly adore Forum Theatre...but it desperately needs refurbishment...I cannot believe that the theatre does not hold as much prominence as the other important theatres...the Mariner Group should be ashamed of letting it get to this sorry state...and guys one more thing: I cannot give enough praise to all of you who seem to be dedicated to exposing and showing to the world this wonderful city of ours...I absolutely love this site...
primal beauty está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #100
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I have a few, but none of their amazing interiors. Click on my sig and have a look at my collection of Melbourne's old architecture.

Princess' Theatre
Thank you, Dean! I will also now follow the link to your thread! Those two theatres are beauties.....

ps am looking at them now, and they are beautiful pix. Highly recommended for other Melbourne-philes..