daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Home Counties and South West England

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 108 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 07:51 PM   #2301
Connoisseur1

Likes (Received): 0

I think it all looks pretty good, especially that mother and child murial. I doubt whether it will bring a significant amount of tourists in, but it definitely adds to Bristol's identity.
Connoisseur1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 23rd, 2011, 02:44 PM   #2302
Schmeek

Went for a bike ride to town yesterday and took some snaps.

Finzels:

See No Evil:

Harbourside, near HL(College SQ?):

A rare success story - I like the new building next to the SSGB:

Here's where the Harbourside promenade will be.... still just a horrible barren gash through the middle of what should be Bristol's prime destination, but there is quite a lot of building materials being moved around down the end by some diggers, but before anyone gets excited I think they are just using the area for storage the construction of College SQ (above).

And here's another success story imo. The Radisson SAS really does what the developer said it would by blending into the skyline and appearing light and subtle. Compare it to the old building below!

Schmeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 03:28 PM   #2303
tpm

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeek View Post
Went for a bike ride to town yesterday and took some snaps.

A rare success story - I like the new building next to the SSGB:

Very nice pics, thanks Schmeek. Shame the view to the SSGB is blocked by those buildings in front of it. Could really do without that shed on the right.
tpm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 04:35 PM   #2304
Sesquip

Likes (Received): 68

A bridge right there (cross-harbour ferry) is so badly needed
Sesquip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 05:19 PM   #2305
Schmeek

Do you mean a footbridge or roadbridge?
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:18 PM   #2306
geoffbradford

Likes (Received): 63

Very nice pictures Schmeek.

I think a footbridge would be great for the commercial units in harbourside. It would cut the journey from the SS Great Britain to harbourside by about a mile and could increase the footfall in the way Pero's bridge has. A bridge would need to be very well designed and easily moveable so that boats could pass. I believe a couple of designs have been proposed in the past but their funding has been unclear.
geoffbradford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:13 PM   #2307
Monks

Likes (Received): 3

Great snaps, Schmeek. I think the permanent graffiti looks great. I hate it whenever the council remove it in parts of the city that are brightened up by it. Hopefully we'll see more in the future.
Monks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:25 PM   #2308
Schmeek

Yeah, it's totally transformed the area into an interesting vibrant little passage. Was very busy though and hard to get any snaps without other people in taking photos at the same time. I wonder if this will die down after a while or whether it'll be a permanent feature... footfall will inevitably remain much higher than it was previously, as I'm sure visitors to Bristol will now skip the bus from Cabots Circus to the centre proper and vice versa as there's now something of genuine interest there that will now undoubtedly feature on tourist guides.

I have to add though, that whilst there is some top quality work down there, there is also equally a whole load of dross as well.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:57 PM   #2309
dronkula

Likes (Received): 12

I'm kinda hoping the See no Evil thing becomes an annual event - every summer invite graffiti artists to repaint that area. It'll keep it pretty fresh and it'll hopefully stop it getting too grubby when kids start tagging it all.
dronkula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #2310
Delirium
Sexy Astronaut

Likes (Received): 868

Ta for the pic schmeek

Agree that it'd be a shame if it was just a one off, it was obvious from the build up and turn out on the day as to how popular an event it was, great if it was an annual thing. The block part set up works really well in town and something the city centre needs more of.

Plus if the new hotel and student flats look as shite as the renders are showing, we can just cover it up with artworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeek
I have to add though, that whilst there is some top quality work down there, there is also equally a whole load of dross as well.
Yeah some bits were certainly 'meh' but the major pieces such as the Wolf by Aryz were class.

PS [pendant] Visitors are more inclined to walk down Corn st. from Broadmead rather than take the bus Schmeekls. {/endpedantmode]
Quote:
as I'm sure visitors to Bristol will now skip the bus from Cabots Circus to the centre proper and vice versa
Delirium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #2311
Sesquip

I think just a foot & cycle bridge would be ok. If you're in a car, the extra mile going over cumberland basin is no big deal. But the harbourside is becoming such an important pedestrian route. SS Great Britain is so isolated. Housing on the South side of the harbour is effectively cut off from the center without a lengthy detour. A 3-span bridge with swing/lift central section would be ideal. There's even an abutment ready made at the bottom of the unfinished promenade! (annoyingly, I can't find a decent photo)

It's a projecting part of the 'upper' level promenade, with a little round embattlement to the side, which you can see on the RH side of this photo.

image hosted on flickr
Old August 24th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #2312
bertyboy
Resident Ignoramus

Likes (Received): 358

I thought the exact same thing at the harbour festival, but then I realised that because of the amount of recreational water traffic that pootles up and down the harbour, it would have to be a high-level bridge. A swing/lift bridge would be going like the clappers!

Also, a similar bridge recently installed on the Salford Quays cost £11.5m. Not cheap!
bertyboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #2313
Connoisseur1

If we can afford tens of thousand for a bit of street art we can surely have a whip round for a bridge of that cost.
Connoisseur1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #2314
Sesquip

So build new pontoon docks west of the bridge site to serve the taller boats (it's not like they can go much further up the harbour anyway), and use the mooring fees to pay for it
That salford bridge is complete overkill. The floating harbour is not the Manchester ship canal and does not need an 18m clearance!

Last edited by Sesquip; August 24th, 2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #2315
Schmeek

There is definately the need for a bridge, but it must be said that the present boat river-crossing (20p or something like that) is a fairly quick and convenient means. It copes quite well with the numbers of people wanting to cross, but I think this is just because people don't know it operates so don't go up that end of the harbour to cross. It also adds to the waterway feel with all the ferries buzzing up and down and I quite like the charm of it. If there was a visible bridge then it would be a different story and I would imagine a lot more people would use it.

Just a thought though, maybe if we had a City Mayor we could get a little cable car built?

While we're talking bridges, I wonder what happened to the bridge that was planned for welsh back (King st) as well?
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #2316
tpm

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeek View Post
While we're talking bridges, I wonder what happened to the bridge that was planned for welsh back (King st) as well?
Was wondering the same thing, and just came across this article about bridges across the floating harbour while searching for something. Apparently money has been set aside for it, but some of it will be returned to the developers if nothing is decided by end 2011 or so. And there are competing designs too.

As for a bridge from the Porto Quay area to the SS Great Britain: that would be absolutely fabulous in the sense that it would create a more or less direct link from Southville to Harbourside and the Clifton triangle (via Jacob Wells Rd), which could transform the entire Spike Island / CREATE center area. However, it would also destroy the whole harbour atmosphere and effectively make the harbour appear as just a slightly wider canal. Not sure that's desirable. Maybe a tunnel would do the job just as well, even if it's not as attractive, and probably more expensive?
tpm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #2317
Delirium
Sexy Astronaut

Likes (Received): 868

No new bridges there plz, kthnxbai.
Old August 25th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #2318
Sesquip

That's a good article, tpm. Thanks Having read the water-people's objections to the SS G.B location, maybe a location Eastwards would be more suitable, at the south end of the already built pedestrian route through Canon's Marsh. The active recreation in the harbour (rowing, sailing etc) tends to the Western end anyway.

Further East, the channel leading onto Bathurst Basin really needs a bridge at its mouth, instead of 50m "inland" if we want to achieve a contiguous pedestrian route along the harbourside. King St. seems like a decent location for a footbridge too. Anything to help pull Redcliffe and Temple Meads into the center.
Old August 25th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #2319
Delph Property Group

Hi all,

Although our Bristol development is not actually being build / developed as we speak I though it may interest some of you. Cabot Court, formerly Geometric House is another Delph Property Group success story of taking a over development that has gone into administration due to the financial crisis, doing up and making good what needs doing and offering it at exceptional value to investor and owner occupiers alike.

http://www.delphgroup.com/properties_for_sale.htm

As a company we have invested heavily in Bristol over the last 6 years. First with our design and input on the Broad Quay development (also known as Central Quay North / the Radisson Blue), where we own the majority of the apartments and have recently acquired even more. Our second investment was made in January 2009 when we purchased a large chunk of apartments in the MCD Cabot Circus development and now we have Cabot Court. We are also in the process of acquiring more stock in town as we speak.

We actually considered the Linden Homes scheme by SSGB but decided it wasn’t for us due to the lack of a bridge. I think however that this is a very up and coming area and once properly connected, it will offer great returns.

Last edited by Delph Property Group; August 25th, 2011 at 05:59 PM.
Delph Property Group no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #2320
RupertSB
Bristol

Likes (Received): 34

Nice photos schmeek. I have to say the office development is looking rather sexy at Finzels Reach and so are the brown/red appartments.

I noticed they are demolishing the building opposite the Spire Hospital to make way for SimplyHealth's new 50,000 sq foot HQ, which could be good depending on the quality of the finish. Certainly a massive improvement on what's currently there.

I also hear under the radar that the two sites next two Burges Salmon's new HQ are very close to getting a pre let and therefore could be developed rather quickly. One site was going to go to AXA and the other was going to be developed by a private hospital until they got cold feet and pulled the plug. I also hear that a few big occupiers have had a sniff around Bank House devekopment recently but nothing concrete to report yet. Watch this space.

I agree with a foot bridge idea but the ferry companies will have a thing or two to say about it and I agree with Scheemk about the negative effect it could have on life on the water. I do think more bridges are positive as they will help bring our extended city centre together more and make it denser and therefore richer with footfall etc.
RupertSB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: