daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.



Reply

 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 10th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #101
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman
 
Officer Dibble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Londres
Posts: 3,249
Likes (Received): 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz44 View Post
The sheet hits the fan-light...
love it

Last edited by Officer Dibble; December 11th, 2007 at 12:34 PM.
Officer Dibble no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #102
Andyinwindsor22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 160
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Dibble View Post
love it


I agree. Reserving judgement until it's built.
Glad the white of sheet of death putting on.

They keeping the part of the old building also the nice church.
Andyinwindsor22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #103
Chief
Izzle Bizzle
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: London
Posts: 1,488
Likes (Received): 2

I'm not sure why there's such an outcry over the demolition of the H-block. It's a very imposing building to walk past on Cleveland Street - it completely dominates it. It's also quite fortress-like.

The proposals will open up the block to the public, giving access across the site and creating a public garden. Surely an improvement on what's presently there, no?

It's also worth adding that the proposals include for a large GP's office for Westminster PCT, an activity hall for a local school, 1/3 provision of affordable housing and retail frontage on Mortimer Street.

Yes, the facade is a bit dull, but let's not just focus on the negatives.
__________________
"What's the difference between Mexico and New Mexico?"
Chief no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #104
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman
 
Officer Dibble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Londres
Posts: 3,249
Likes (Received): 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I'm not sure why there's such an outcry over the demolition of the H-block. It's a very imposing building to walk past on Cleveland Street - it completely dominates it. It's also quite fortress-like.

The proposals will open up the block to the public, giving access across the site and creating a public garden. Surely an improvement on what's presently there, no?

It's also worth adding that the proposals include for a large GP's office for Westminster PCT, an activity hall for a local school, 1/3 provision of affordable housing and retail frontage on Mortimer Street.

Yes, the facade is a bit dull, but let's not just focus on the negatives.
Agreed. Again.
Officer Dibble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #105
JGG
LONDON - Westminster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,841
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
The proposals will open up the block to the public, giving access across the site and creating a public garden.
Will it be open for public access at all times or is that just some promise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Surely an improvement on what's presently there, no?
Well, that is probably largely a matter of taste, but I think this development impoverishes the streetscape considerably. As good as I find Candi & Candi's development on Hyde Park I find this one uninspirational and actually causing more damage than doing any good.

Again, it is a matter of personal taste but I find it a real pity that this little bridge is going. I think so much more could have been achieved with this site by a more innovative mix of new and existing fabric. Imagine they had taken out all the walkway bridges at Shad Thames.... At the time they had no use and they looked ugly, but now all restored they offer real character to the area... Well, that is probably what I am saying, the new development is not bad and repalces something which has character with something rather bland.

I'd love to see a picture of this streetscape once the new development is completed.


Last edited by JGG; December 11th, 2007 at 01:03 PM.
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #106
Chief
Izzle Bizzle
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: London
Posts: 1,488
Likes (Received): 2

Man, why are people automatically so sceptical? "Public garden" means exactly what it says - a garden that is for the public to enjoy, including benches and play spaces for children of different ages. "some promise" - where did that come from?

As for the streetscape, I'd like to know how many of this scheme's detractors have actually taken a walk down Riding House or Cleveland Streets. At present they are nothing special at all, overshadowed by the considerable bulk of the H-block, which has been poorly maintained and offers little of interest architecturally. At street level, the lightwells of the existing hospital are full of plant, rubbish and generally not nice. I agree that the present Mortimer Street entrance is impressive, but it serves as a massive brick wall terminating the view up Berners Street from Oxford Street. The new scheme will open this up with a view that terminates into the garden with its 'forest' of trees.
__________________
"What's the difference between Mexico and New Mexico?"
Chief no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #107
JGG
LONDON - Westminster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,841
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
As for the streetscape, I'd like to know how many of this scheme's detractors have actually taken a walk down Riding House or Cleveland Streets. At present they are nothing special at all, overshadowed by the considerable bulk of the H-block, which has been poorly maintained and offers little of interest architecturally.
I have walked around in that area extensively and I really like the H-block. I also fail to understand why you talk about the "considerable bulk" of it, when the new building is actually higher and will not have a front court but just some slot opening onto this garden. It is all matter of taste, but I fail to understand where the new development would be more interesting from an architectural point of view than the current H-block with its front courtyard and grand entrance. In any case, I will be very pleased if I am proven wrong and the new development fits in as well as the current building and contributes as much to the streetscape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
At street level, the lightwells of the existing hospital are full of plant, rubbish and generally not nice.
On that basis Shad Thames, St Pancras and all period buildings that have been successfully converted to a new life should have been knocked down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I agree that the present Mortimer Street entrance is impressive, but it serves as a massive brick wall terminating the view up Berners Street from Oxford Street. The new scheme will open this up with a view that terminates into the garden with its 'forest' of trees.
Hmmm.... maybe need to have another look at the renders. Basically there will be some alleyway taking you to some hidden garden... And maybe if you position yourself optmally in the street you may even get a glimpse of one of the eight trees they intend to plant in this massive garden beind.

JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #108
JGG
LONDON - Westminster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,841
Likes (Received): 1

double post

Last edited by JGG; December 11th, 2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: double post
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #109
Chief
Izzle Bizzle
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: London
Posts: 1,488
Likes (Received): 2

There are people who are willing to keep an open mind and are worth debating with and talking to, then there are those who approach things they know little about with an overly cynical view from the outset.

I don't think it's worth continuing this discussion.
__________________
"What's the difference between Mexico and New Mexico?"
Chief no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #110
JGG
LONDON - Westminster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,841
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
There are people who are willing to keep an open mind and are worth debating with and talking to, then there are those who approach things they know little about with an overly cynical view from the outset.

I don't think it's worth continuing this discussion.
Why is it so hard to accept that people may have different taste?

I am certainly not the only one that likes the current building and that is concerned about the bulk and facade of the new development. As I pointed out several times, I hope I am proven wrong. Until we see some more renders it is hard to give a final judgement.

Yet, I do not think that any developer in London would intentionally build eyesores, yet you look at that area and you see how bad these 70s development in that same section of town look today, and you just wonder whether this development will not look as bad 20 to 30 years from now.

Only time will tell. But if I had to invest my money into either some apartments in this Noho development versus the Pan Peninsula development, I would shoose the latter over the former with a very high degree of conviction. That is my choice, as other people can have an opposing view. As hard as it will be to convince you about the merits of the Pan Peninsula development, it is equally hard to convince me about this Noho development. But that this not mean the debate is not worhwhile; it is always interesting to get a different perspective.
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #111
Luke
Blackboard Monitor
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: London
Posts: 1,302
Likes (Received): 1

To be fair JGG, the rendering you have posted is the older bulkier design.
__________________
The latest movie reviews - www.sharemypopcorn.co.uk
Luke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #112
london lad
Registered User
 
london lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: London
Posts: 8,596
Likes (Received): 365

Latest scheme with a not so small opening to the middle of the development.

london lad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #113
Chief
Izzle Bizzle
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: London
Posts: 1,488
Likes (Received): 2

I don't have any problem with people having different opinions to me - you can look through some of my previous posts to confirm that if you wish.

What I do have a problem with is people being overly cynical and making false claims as if they are fact, from only a half-baked knowledge of the scheme.

For example, the openings into the scheme have been widened, the top 2-3 floors have been set back with mansard roofs, and the cladding is being chosen to match with the local area as closely as possible.
__________________
"What's the difference between Mexico and New Mexico?"
Chief no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #114
JGG
LONDON - Westminster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,841
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I don't have any problem with people having different opinions to me - you can look through some of my previous posts to confirm that if you wish.

What I do have a problem with is people being overly cynical and making false claims as if they are fact, from only a half-baked knowledge of the scheme.
Well we can only talk about the information available. If you have additional renders, obvioulsy I would very much appreciate to seem them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
For example, the openings into the scheme have been widened, the top 2-3 floors have been set back with mansard roofs, and the cladding is being chosen to match with the local area as closely as possible.
So versus the original renders, there are no longer ground + 6 floors as part of the vertical facade? That would indeed be an improvement. And with regards to the cladding, is it brick or natural stone? Or is it some composite stone?
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #115
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman
 
Officer Dibble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Londres
Posts: 3,249
Likes (Received): 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Latest scheme with a not so small opening to the middle of the development.

I think that's a major improvement.
Officer Dibble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #116
Ciudad Bristol
Virtute et Industria
 
Ciudad Bristol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London SE 16
Posts: 1,386
Likes (Received): 5

The "white sheet of doom" (TM) is up on the Cleveland Rd side. Also in the area, Arups new office at 2 Fitzroy Street is externally complete and is rather interesting.

__________________


Heathrow Terminal 2a – 4 June 2014
Ciudad Bristol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #117
Andyinwindsor22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 160
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciudad Bristol View Post
The "white sheet of doom" (TM) is up on the Cleveland Rd side. Also in the area, Arups new office at 2 Fitzroy Street is externally complete and is rather interesting.

or white sheet of death.

i do like that building!
Andyinwindsor22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #118
wjfox
Wanna cook?
 
wjfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: L O N D O N
Posts: 37,212
Likes (Received): 4300

From up here in my office, I can see scaffolding beginning to appear on the main building on site.
wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #119
Chief
Izzle Bizzle
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: London
Posts: 1,488
Likes (Received): 2

I reckon majority of the demolition will be complete by April next year, maybe earlier.

Oh, and the new Arup office pointed out above will be my new office in about three months' time, when we finally get to move in. It's looking quite jazzy.
__________________
"What's the difference between Mexico and New Mexico?"
Chief no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #120
Andyinwindsor22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 160
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I reckon majority of the demolition will be complete by April next year, maybe earlier.

Oh, and the new Arup office pointed out above will be my new office in about three months' time, when we finally get to move in. It's looking quite jazzy.
why April next year.if they can start in January?
Andyinwindsor22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu