daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #121
Chief
Izzle Bizzle

Likes (Received): 5

Have you seen the size of the site?

Sponsored Links

Old January 11th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #122
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6649

A large crane and what looks like a piledriver have just appeared on the site.
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #123
Chief
Izzle Bizzle

Nothing much on it yet, but there's a website for this now: www.nohosquare.com
Old January 25th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #124
fitz44

Likes (Received): 20

Demolition is starting to be visible along Cleveland St.

Old January 25th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #125
dom

Likes (Received): 7

As an ex-resident of Fitzrovia I can't begin to state HOW MUCH I HATE IT HOW LEECHING ESTATE AGENTS ARE TRYING TO REBRAND FITZROVIA 'NOHO.'

It really pisses me off. Noho is an New York thing, not a London thing and it sounds kitsch and tacky. No to Noho. And no to this development which will change Fitzrovia from a sleepy Victorian backwater with affordable mix of restaurants and student/advertisiting/new media vibe to a yuppie-glitzy hell hole.

I have a feeling that this development will wreck the area. I am NOT A FAN!

I wish the bloody Candy brothers would just stick with Ken & Chelsea with their development there. 'Noho' Square... **** off!

dom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #126
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz44 View Post
Absolutely ******* criminal.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #127
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
I have a feeling that this development will wreck the area.
Dont be silly.
El_Greco está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #128
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 9

I think Fitzrovia sounds FAR more classy than 'Noho' - imagine telling people you lived in a place called Fitzrovia, they would 'oooh, that sounds nice'...tell them you live in 'Noho' and they would say "where??...what does that mean....No Hope???"
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #129
Madman
London 2012

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post

It really pisses me off. Noho is an New York thing, not a London thing and it sounds kitsch and tacky. No to Noho. And no to this development which will change Fitzrovia from a sleepy Victorian backwater with affordable mix of restaurants and student/advertisiting/new media vibe to a yuppie-glitzy hell hole.

I have a feeling that this development will wreck the area. I am NOT A FAN!

I wish the bloody Candy brothers would just stick with Ken & Chelsea with their development there. 'Noho' Square... **** off!
^ haha that made me laugh

been doing research for a hotel project and had to go to soem of the hotels in that area - i can tell you that place has been a yuppie-glitzy hell hole for quite some time already without the Candy brothers

(for those not familiar with the rarea just check out the celeb haunts of The Sanderson and the Charlotte Street Hotel to get an idea...

so ghetto....

Madman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #130
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Absolutely ******* criminal.
eh? this building is neither graceful nor interesting.
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #131
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

What a mess! Once again, London's planning committees gone mad!!
The existing building should be listed!

Last edited by storms991; January 26th, 2008 at 10:58 PM.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #132
Chief
Izzle Bizzle

Walking up Berners Street from Oxford Street, which would you rather be faced with... an opening into a public garden with birch trees and benches, or the current building?

Personally speaking, I'd rather the garden. But then I'm not really a fan of the current assortment of buildings.
Old January 27th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #133
Lord Nelson

What a crime! This old building should be listed. Obviously, greed is still ruling London. How many more old buildings need to vanish until London looks like every other large city with glass boxes?

I guess, as long as the Tower, Tower bridge, the Parliament building with Big Ben and St Paul's are not touched, EH won't give s***!

@ Manuel, storm991: I totally agree with you!
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #134
dom

Likes (Received): 7

If they demolish the old skybridge to the rear of the hospital i will want to cut the candy brothers freaking balls off.

fitzrovia, where i lived for 3 years will be wrecked by identikit glass boxes, noho bloody f-ing square. why not call it wolff square or keynes place after the bloomsbury set that hung out around this area. no because the nouveaux riche who will purchase property in this development are the typical customers, oil rich arabs who steal off their citizens, rich russkys who've done the same (abrama/berezovky and co) and city boys with mega-bunce humungous bonuses.

i mean 'noho' ...... ffs!

this will 'not' improve the area. it will make it like everywhere else.

you picked the sanderson and the hotel on charlotte street.... fair enough they are quite glitzy but most of the rest of fitzrovia is sleepy and understated with victorian squares and back alleys with wonderful small cosy pubs that haven't been 'gastroed' 'de-carpeted' and 'uprated' yet. fitz has bags of local history.... and soon people will forget its name because some locust prop developers who are named after sweeties want to make themselves a few more mill.

don't get me wrong, i actually like this development, but i don't like that it is replacing the old hospital. and that it is in fitzrovia.

anyone who has actually lived in fitzrovia, day in day out will agree with me. the old hospital along with the marvellous BT Tower is the largest building in terms of footprint in fitzrovia and is key to keeping its charm and character.

this is a postmodern granite and glass yuppie blob spewed out from the rear end of the candy brothers.

and i'd prefer if it was located else where. amen.
dom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #135
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 859

^ The de-carpeting of pubs cannot happen fast enough Dom. Indeed if I had my way then all London pubs would be given immediate notice to "de-carpet" within one month, in the interests of hygiene and good taste, and on pain of closure, their landlords threatened with forcible exile and a term of penal servitude in Manchester.

And note that Charlotte Street is now one of the best restaurant streets in London - and not because of old stalwarts but rather because of attractive new places such as Rasa Samudra and Roka/Shochu. There's also the fabulous Hakkasan bringing light and glamour to one formerly dingy, piss-stained, and forgotten back alley (Hanway Place). I do not see these "yuppie" additions as being negative.

Although I dislike the new proposal - it's yet another one of those tasteless "irregular" facades that we'll be so ashamed of a few years from now - I cannot bring myself to think of the old Middlesex Hospital as some kind of architectural masterpiece. It was actually quite a dour and somewhat oppressive building.

However I agree on the fake rebranding of this area as "Noho". Fitzrovia is a more charming name that derives from the Fitzroy Tavern (later giving its name to Fitzroy Street and Fitzroy Square). However note that Fitzrovia is not a well known neighbourhood name in London. Most Londoners probably couldn't identify the area if you asked them to. The name "Fitzrovia" doesn't have long heritage either. Before the First World War it was generally considered to be part of Marylebone or Bloomsbury. However 80 years is enough heritage for me, and the bordering thoroughfares of Euston Road (north), Oxford Street (south), Tottenham Court Road (east), Upper Regent Street/Portland Place (west), do carve this square of almost-grid streets into a coherent entity worthy of its own name and identity.

Last edited by Langur; January 29th, 2008 at 07:42 PM.
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #136
Manuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
And note that Charlotte Street is now one of the best restaurant streets in London - and not because of old stalwarts but rather because of attractive new places such as Rasa Samudra and Roka/Shochu. There's also the fabulous Hakkasan bringing light and glamour to one formerly dingy, piss-stained, and forgotten back alley (Hanway Place). I do not see these "yuppie" additions as being negative.
I can't believe you don't quote Pied à Terre! that's surely by far the best of it on this street!
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #137
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 859

^ I've never been there myself. But it's a most welcome addition to my argument.
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #138
storms991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Walking up Berners Street from Oxford Street, which would you rather be faced with... an opening into a public garden with birch trees and benches, or the current building?

Personally speaking, I'd rather the garden. But then I'm not really a fan of the current assortment of buildings.
Demolishing a Victorian-era building is one thing, but building on the site an abstract, non-conforming building is another! The uniformity that was once present will be lost forever.
Send some e-mails to EH I say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nelson View Post
What a crime! This old building should be listed. Obviously, greed is still ruling London. How many more old buildings need to vanish until London looks like every other large city with glass boxes?

I guess, as long as the Tower, Tower bridge, the Parliament building with Big Ben and St Paul's are not touched, EH won't give s***!

@ Manuel, storm991: I totally agree with you!
Developers like C&C are not working for the beauty of London, which is what all development agencies should work towards, instead they demolish the relics of previous eras for their own pecuniary gain. The complex they're building at 1 Hyde Park is bearable, but this is absolutely silly. Either the members Westminster City Council have been payed off, or they've gone mad.

Last edited by storms991; January 29th, 2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #139
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1943

Since when has any developer built for the beauty of London? All throughout history London has been moulded by the ego and financial gain of the monolithic developer.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #140
storms991

Which is sad; is it that hard to design sane buildings?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: