daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18237

Hong Kong 2007 - Part 30 (Saturday Exploration)

Aaahh ... Saturday again ... time to go out and do some exploring!

1. I didn't intend to stop here at first, but I saw this tram in the distance and decided to get ready to snap a picture. This fella is hard to spot during the day.

4. A bit of gold in a gritty neighborhood.

6. The bubble used to house an observation deck, but since the building became offices for the Chinese government, the deck has closed.

13. This open-top double decker bus isn't so easily seen either. I had a good luck streak today.

15. As usual, I camped out next to the old Bank of China to snap tram and bus photos.

21. Remember this picture? Didn't we see it on the SSC anniversary banner?

23. Which bus are you waiting for?

24. It was an unusually hot day for September, and a lot of people decided to hit the beach.

47. I have no idea why the Beijing Olympics mascots would be displayed here and not in a more prominent location.

50. Another evening arrives.

Part 29 : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=521895

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #2
Delirium
Sexy Astronaut

Likes (Received): 2518

Some great pics, through and through! and i love HKS public transport!
Old September 16th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #3
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

I always love Hong Kong, but its about time they do something about those old buildings. The government should have some law regarding the maintainance of a buildings over certain years. They should have some sort of beautifying the city project thing. HK gov with so much money might as well give the buildings a free paint job or a facelift.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #4
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
What is that? I hadn't been to Stanley in about 6 months until I went there some time in July and saw that was new - not sure what it was though as we didn't wander over.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #5
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
What is that? I hadn't been to Stanley in about 6 months until I went there some time in July and saw that was new - not sure what it was though as we didn't wander over.
Another fine mess they've got Stanley into
Tourists, retailers lament disruption of beautification project

9 September 2007
South China Morning Post

Years of noise and mess from construction work to build a tree-lined promenade along the Stanley waterfront are driving away visitors, restaurant owners say.

Many of the restaurants along Stanley Main Street are open-fronted and have street seating that overlooks the unsightly project.

Tourists visiting the market and waterfront restaurants highlighted in guidebooks as a perfect spot for shopping and dining said last week they were astonished to find the place a building site.

"It is a nice thing to go to Stanley Market, but I can only see the ugly containers along the waterfront now," German visitor Franz Forster said, as he spent the last day of his business trip in Stanley.

"It was known as a quiet place with a nice view to the beach, but all I can see is the ugly containers and noisy environment replacing the quiet and relaxing atmosphere.

"This is my last day in Hong Kong so I am very disappointed."

Rolf Schneider, owner of Main Street USA, a restaurant facing the water, said the project had forced out many of his customers because the road was half-blocked and unbearably noisy at lunchtime.

"It is terrible. For almost four years, the situation has remained the same," Mr Schneider said.

But construction work is stopped during the weekends, the area's busiest time.

A series of redevelopment projects has meant Stanley has been in a near constant state of renovation since the 1990s.

A Mrs Lam, who has run a newspaper stall for more than 20 years, said business had been down about 20 per cent since the project started.

The Town Planning Board approved the design in November 2005, with the beautification to cost HK$14 million. Under the plan, the waterfront along Stanley Main Street is getting a wooden walkway, with 100 semi-mature trees to provide shade.

An Architectural Services Department spokesman said the department had received no "formal complaints from the restaurant owners".

"However, we will endeavour to minimise the nuisance by carrying out the work in phases and will closely monitor the progress of the works to ensure timely completion," the spokesman said.

According to a Tourism Commissioner notice, the works include "general streetscape improvements, extension of the waterfront promenade outside Stanley Main Street, construction of a pier outside Murray House with the Old Blake Pier roof, clearance of the squatters surrounding Shui Sin Temple and beautification of the surrounding area, and improvements to the open space near Pat Kan Uk".

The project was expected to be completed this year but the date has been extended to April.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old September 16th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #6
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates View Post
I always love Hong Kong, but its about time they do something about those old buildings. The government should have some law regarding the maintainance of a buildings over certain years. They should have some sort of beautifying the city project thing. HK gov with so much money might as well give the buildings a free paint job or a facelift.
There is that law requiring all the privately owned buildings to be maintained both in and outside. But it's to keep the buildings in good shape, not necessary to keep them in good looking as it will cost extra money for the owners.

Hong Kong is rich, but there are a lot more higher priorities than giving out money to private properties for painting.
Old September 16th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #7
EricIsHim

hk, where did you take that SSC banner? haha
Old September 23rd, 2007, 09:17 AM   #8
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
hk, where did you take that SSC banner? haha
Bus stop Admiralty-bound opposite HSBC in Central. There's another one a block west as well.

Old September 23rd, 2007, 09:35 AM   #9
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
thats the shape of lujiazui!! lol :p
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 10:02 AM   #10
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline

According to a Tourism Commissioner notice, the works include "general streetscape improvements, extension of the waterfront promenade outside Stanley Main Street, construction of a pier outside Murray House with the Old Blake Pier roof, clearance of the squatters surrounding Shui Sin Temple and beautification of the surrounding area, and improvements to the open space near Pat Kan Uk".
I think it looks alright, fits in well with Murray House. Where do the ferries head to?

Quote:
Bus stop Admiralty-bound opposite HSBC in Central. There's another one a block west as well.
Saw it the other day.
Old September 27th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #11
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
What's the ad for?
Old September 27th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #12
.bmr.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
[size=3]

.bmr. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #13
_00_deathscar

Why are the Petronas towers the highest?
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #14
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Why are the Petronas towers the highest?

Good Call~~~
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #15
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
What's the ad for?
Financial Times

Old September 28th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #16
ntly1
North Borneo Is My Home

Likes (Received): 7

Nice Pics.....
ntly1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #17
EricIsHim

Quote:
Financial Times
Should FT have 2IFC wrapped around??
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #18
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Should FT have 2IFC wrapped around??
They did .. back when it was UC in 2003. They wrapped around a whole bunch of floors in a huge building ad.