daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 16th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #1
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

DUBAI | Al Sharq Tower | 360m | 1181ft | 102 fl | Canceled

Use: Residential
Architect: SOM
Developer: Al Sharq Investment (not a great website)

Description from SOM's website

A lot of large renders

Worldarchitecturenews.com feature

This proposal has been around since end of 2005 when it was announced as cityscape. A model was also shown at cityscape 2006 (december).

The original proposal was 342m and around 70 stories high as shown in this model:

First article from september 2005:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai-Lover View Post
Al Sharq Development - a beacon of style and design at Cityscape

Following last weeks announcement of the AED 7 billion Aqua Dunya theme park resort located in the heart of Dubailand, owner-developer Al Sharq Developments has now announced two ambitious real estate projects both characterized by an unparalleled combination of style and design.

Al Sharq Tower.

The Lighthouse Hotel and Residence located on the crescent of The Palm Jumeira, and the sleek Al Sharq Tower on Dubai's Sheikh Zayed Road were unveiled during Cityscape, the region's leading property and real state exhibition.

'Al Sharq Development is a new player in Dubai's dynamic real estate sector, and Citiscape marks our official entrée into this exciting market,' said company Chairman, Mr. Ali bin Suleiman Al Shehri.

'Our projects are identified with highly stylised design, and I'm proud to be expressing our creative vision in Dubai, a city which has firmly identified itself as an incubator for innovation, where unmet lifestyle standards can be achieved,' he added.

The $150 million 70-storey Al Sharq residential tower was designed by world-renowned Skidmore Owings and Merrill (SOM) and is being touted a 'vertical resort'', referring to the building's unique cellular structure of nine cylinder tubes defined by a spiraling filigree form.

Not only does the curvaceous tower offer each room a spatial experience with panoramic views, but also the first residential floor will start at 40 metres above ground to ensure views for all units. The tower will house resident-only movie theatres, two zones of amenity floors including a spa, health club, pools, party rooms, childrens play rooms, day care, a library, and a fully-automated 800-car parking service where cars are stacked and retrieved by residents through a sophisticated computer system.

'What we are developing is not a static sculpture, but a living habitat. Our aim is to make the design,more sensual and intuitive and less mechanical,' explained Ahmed Chehouri, Executive Director for Planning and Development for Al Sharq Development.

Located on The Palm Jumeira, The Lighthouse Hotel and Residence is a development set to offer guests and residents a new experience in luxury and visual atmosphere. The development's architecture is designed to capture the light of the rising sun and beam it into the complex's interior. At night, the roof of the 380-room hotel will be lit and an arc of light will be projected across The Palm Jumeira and the Arabian Gulf, bringing a new and modern identity to the traditional lighthouse image.

Creative lighting, bold colouring and the energetic design of private and public areas will demonstrate an adventurous philosophy in creating a new hotel style set to motivate guest's imaginations and the desire to travel more frequently.

'While offering guests luxury and superior comfort, our aim is to create a perfect blend of nature and design. The cool, minimalist styling will excite the senses and open the door to a totally new hotel experience, and the Residences will offer a new concept for those who wish to live permanently in an ambiance of luxurious simplicity,' Chehouri added.

The Lighthouse Hotel and Residences will be operated and managed by one of the trendiest hotel operators in the world, a brand synonomous with the boutique hotel concept. A signed MOU agreement is expected within a month, reported officials from Al Sharq Development.;

The Lighthouse Residence will offer 200 apartments comprising two, three, and four bedroom configuration, each designed to have a sea facing view. Apartments will be available on for 99 year leasehold, as will residential units within the Al Sharq Tower, which has an expected completion date of December 2007.

The Al Sharq Tower and the Lighthouse Hotel and Residences add to the portfolio of property development by Al Sharq Development, and follows the recent reveal of Aqua Dunya, the Middle East's largest theme park resort which will house the iconic Desert Pearl Hotel, the actual largest cruise ship ever built.

Al Sharq Development is a dynamic property development company based in Dubai and founded by the prominent Saudi industrialist, Mr. Ali bin Suleiman Al Shehri.

At cityscape 2006 they upped the height a little to 360m and crammed more floors, getting rid of the roof feature on top. This new model clearly showed 90 floors. Some articles claim 100 floors but SOM's website also says 90 so that's what I'm going with.

Article from december 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
New projects for Al Sharq worth US$ 1.2 billion

Dubai-based property developer, Al Sharq Investment, has announced today that they are launching six major projects in Dubai with a combined value of US$ 1.2 billion.

Ali Al Shehri, Chairman, Al Sharq Investment.

One of their residential development projects is Al Sharq Tower, which once completed will be the tallest tower on Dubai's Sheikh Zayed Road.

With construction starting in April next year, Al Sharq will reach new heights with their signature landmark appropriately named Al Sharq Tower. Positioned in the centre of Dubai's business district, the 100 storey, 360 metre tower consists of 268 luxury apartments and notably allows buyers the option to customise their own individual floor plans. Designed by the internationally renowned Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM), the iconic vertical resort has eight cylinders defined by a spiraling filigree structure, which will create a unique marker on Dubai's main highway.

'Our business strategy is to offer an expanding portfolio of signature projects with cutting-edge design and uncompromised quality. These projects reflect our commitment to market demand for high-end, quality driven and innovative real estate developments,' commented Ali Al Shehri, Chairman, Al Sharq Investment.

Their other projects carry some of the most prestigious addresses in Dubai such as the 400 room luxury resort hotel, W Dubai - The Palm on the crescent of the Palm Jumeirah. W Hotels®, the world's fastest growing luxury hotel brand, is a part of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.. At a cost of US$ 180 million, the hotel is due for completion in December 2009. Al Sharq will also release 200 prestige freehold residences on the Palm Jumeirah, adjacent to the W Dubai - The Palm, featuring 40 metres of pristine beach front.

Steve Tight, Chief Executive, Al Sharq Investment, stated, 'To achieve our highest quality standards we partner with world-class organisations, from the start of the project through to completion and beyond. Distinguished architects, leading construction companies and internationally branded operators are all meticulously selected to ensure that we deliver our promise to not only meet, but exceed our clients' and guests' expectations.'

In Business Bay, Al Sharq will develop two architecturally stunning towers, Rawasi Tower and Nadra Tower. The 35 storey commercial Rawasi Tower offers 590,000 square feet of freehold office space and 58,000 square feet of retail space, in a prime location at the gateway to Business Bay. The project will be finished by September 2009 at a cost of US$ 140 million. The Nadra Tower consists of 30 storeys and will be ready for occupancy a full 12 months before its sister property Rawasi Tower.

Over at Dubailand, having already launched Aqua Dunya Resort, a water themed family entertainment destination spread across more than 60 hectares, Al Sharq has added Aqua Dunya Residences which contains over 1,600 freehold apartments for sale along Emirates Road adjacent to the City of Arabia. The community includes a lakeside hotel, restaurants, cafes and bars with water taxi service to the adjacent Aqua Dunya Resort. This residential development takes Al Sharq's total investment in Dubailand to over US$ 1.7 billion alone.

It's now september 2007 and nothing so far, just a few articles on architecture websites. Cityscape 2007 is next month so we might see some stuff there, let's hope it gets built because it's one of the best dubai ones.
malec no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #2
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

wasn't it 100F instead of 90?
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #3
NEWUSER
ITS COLD

Likes (Received): 318

architect site says 90F...

Great looking tower, thanks malec.
NEWUSER no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #4
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
wasn't it 100F instead of 90?
How about you read the entire post first
malec no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #5
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

I love the design. SOM is totally out of this world in terms of designing. Give them my respect.
Gaeus está en línea ahora  
Old September 16th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #6
SkyLerm
Architranceture Feelings

Likes (Received): 28

Really good looking tower, this one worth it!

Cuchiville
SkyLerm no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #7
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

This has been designed by David Child of SOM NY.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #8
DAMN I m good
sould have been kazaaam !

Likes (Received): 8

seems taler than it is

still 360 m is enormous
Old September 16th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #9
Ramonx2

Likes (Received): 354

The renders on the website are looking great! Absolutely a incredible design!
Ramonx2 no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #10
Building

Likes (Received): 0

Sorry but how many supertalls are there in Dubai (Pro, App, UC, Com)???
Old September 16th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #11
MDguy

WOW! excellent design! the base and interior are awesome! i also like the exterior too
MDguy no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #12
great184
visionary

Likes (Received): 281

I saw this before on skyscraperpage.com and was not impressed. But after seeing the renders i retract that statement. Its beautiful!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1536278
great184 no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #13
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

pics from the Cityscape 2006

Imre no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #14
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!!
xXFallenXx no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #15
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

I agree, the design is excellent. And it's a monster, too...
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #16
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

This tower looks very nice.
FM 2258 no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #17
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

One of my worldwide favorites.

[Img]http://i7.************/213qlgz.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i7.************/21e6u8o.jpg[/img]

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #18
DG
Emirian Lady

Likes (Received): 4

a great addition to Dubai skyline
DG no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #19
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12352

skyscrapernews will run the full story tomorrow complete with new images. the height remains 360m but it is over 100 floors.
gothicform no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:37 AM   #20
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Will it contain news on when it'll be built?
It's always been one of my favourite and would hate to see it become nothing. There hasn't been one sign of movement in the 2 years that we know about it.
The developer's website says 102 floors exactly.
malec no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
dubai