search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 25th, 2015, 11:47 AM   #1
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 7537

List of supertalls you've seen in person

So let's share what places we have visited that have supertalls

the supertalls I have seen (and when under construction were at least close to topping out) are:

-----------------------------------------------

400m+
1. Burj Khalifa, Dubai
2. Shanghai Tower, Shanghai
3. Shanghai World Financial Center, Shanghai
4. Petronas Towers, Kuala Lumpur
6. Zifeng Tower, Nanjing
7. Jin Mao Tower, Shanghai
300m+
8. Emirates Office Tower, Dubai
9. Al Attar, Dubai
10. The Wharf Times Square, Wuxi
11. Shimao International Plaza, Shanghai
12. Rose by Rotana, Dubai
13. China World Trade Center, Beijing
14. Al Yaqoub, Dubai
15. Hanging Village of Huaxi, Jiangyin
16. Wuxi Suning Plaza, Wuxi
17. The Index, Dubai
18. Deji Plaza, Nanjing
19. White Magnolia Plaza, Shanghai
20. HHHR Tower, Dubai
21. Youth Olympics Center, Nanjing
22. Menara Telecom, Kuala Lumpur
23. Emirates Hotel Tower, Dubai
24. Wuxi Maoye City, Wuxi
25. The Address, Dubai
26. Gate of the Orient, Suzhou
tip over 300m, but officially not supertall, eg. honorable mentions:
27. Modern Media Center, Changzhou
28. Commerzbank Tower, Frankfurt

I think with 110 supertalls topped out as of today, that's quite a good number for living in the middle of no-tall germany

-----------------------------------------------

My Experiences:

Frankfurt: My first tall building experience is all in Frankfurt. I have visited Frankfurt once for an exhibition and saw the Messeturm up close and again when I was bringing a friend to the airport. I plan to return to Frankfurt this summer to actually spend more time explore all of the skyscrapers there.

Dubai: I visited Dubai in 2010 on a stopover to Singapore. I only had 8 hours in the middle of the night, so what I did was taking a taxi to Burj Khalifa and spending my few hours around there. Since I have never seen anything taller than Berlin TV Tower before this visit, this experience was especially breath taking. I still remember looking up and up and up, feeling like breaking your neck and this building just doesn't end. A wall of building that has a shape that makes it especially hard to support any kind of scale for the building which makes it look even taller. The tapering again makes it look taller, just crazy experience. Besides Burj Khalifa I remember two other supertalls most vividly, The address and the Index. The address because i really enjoyed comparing it to the Burj when I was there and thinking it was rather cute and the Index, because nearly face on that tower is just a majestic wall of awesomeness. Left me in awe. The other towers I listed here for Dubai I remember seeing in drive by only. And it was dark. I plan to revisit Dubai maybe late 2016 and hopefully can get a closer look to all the Supertalls in the city, especially finally see the Marina.

South East Asia: From Singapore I took a weekend trip to KL. The Petronas Towers were the buildings first sparking my interest in tall buildings. When they were built in 1998 it was in the news and I remember vividly thinking how beautiful they are. In Kuala Lumpur I spent a lot of time there. My impression of their beauty stayed, but with the layout of the area, you get a good unobstructed view from quite a bit away made me get the feeling that they don't look as tall as I would have imagined. Seeing Burj Khalifa shortly beforehand kind of took away from this experience.

First China Trip: So two years after my first big vacation, I made a second big trip visiting mostly Chengdu, but also seeing Beijing and Chongqing for several days. Although Beijing had the tallest tower, Chongqing's skyline was far more impressive, but for the sake of this topic I leave that out for now. In Beijing I ended up in a place where I could see the World Trade Center in the distance. I knew where it was in relation to the closest metro station and had plans to go there by metro, but as I saw it already I decided to visit it by foot instead. Needless to say a tall tower in the distance can be much farther away than expected. It took me a few hours to actually get there and that after an 8 hour walk on the Great Wall that morning. It was quite an exhausting day.

Second China Trip: So last year I was working in China for some time and had the chance to travel a lot around the area. With all the new highspeed train connections it was easy to travel to all the major cities in the province and beyond. I took 12 weekends to visit most of the cities around twice and set my goal to see every supertall in Shanghai and Jiangsu province. It worked out amazingly and had a lot of fun experiences by for example taking bus rides thru villages to find Huaxi. I also got to see Zifeng Tower in Najing, by the time one of my favorite buildings in the world. Seeing it in person made me see some detailing in the building that I think is a bit gimmicky though. And up close I realized that the setbacks make it impossible to see the top anymore which makes it less imposing, I still really enjoy the building, but it lost its rank as one of my favorite buildings. The opposite happened to me with Shimao Plaza in Shanghai, from not liking it to liking it in an instant, because I never realized how perfect its location was. The Shanghai big three are also worth noting of course. While I always prefered SWFC over Shanghai Center before actually seeing them, this changed in a heartbeat. With the lighting shows Shanghai Center drew all the attention and I always though of how bullshit crazy that tower is. The more tall buildings I see, the more I realize how much size actually matters in a world of skyscrapers. So this trip tought me that it is impossible to compare towers that are in widely different height ranges unless the taller one tapers into a thin spire quite drastically.

I could tell a story to every single building as well, but that is for another time.

Now please tell me your lists, stories not required of course!

Last edited by KillerZavatar; May 25th, 2015 at 11:53 AM.
KillerZavatar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2015, 01:54 PM   #2
realitybites-u

Likes (Received): 4940

Among all of the building that you have listed down, which building that you think is the most beautiful ones?

Zaz965 liked this post
realitybites-u no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #3
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

As I realized Burj Khalifa and Shanghai Tower simply play in different leagues. Especially in Shanghai this became aparent when you had tall towers side by side and realized the difference in one monster towering above them all. That said I still believe Petronas and Zifeng are among the nicest and most symbolic buildings I have visited. The Gate of the orient is amazingly beautiful in its surroundings as well. When I was living in China I could see Modern Media Center out of my home window, so after seeing it each morning for several months it burns itself into your heart as well. In the end we are skyscraper fans and each tall building is beautiful in its own way

Zaz965 liked this post
Old May 25th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #4
SkyscraperSuperman
Hi.

Likes (Received): 589

400m+
Shanghai World Financial Centre (Shanghai)
Jin Mao Tower (Shanghai)
Zifeng Tower (Nanjing)
Sears Tower (Chicago)
Trump Tower (Chicago)
Petronas Towers (Kuala Lumpur)

300m+
Ryugyong Hotel (Pyongyang)
China World Trade Centre (Beijing)
Shimao International Plaza (Shanghai)
Minsheng Bank Building (Wuhan)
AON Center (Chicago)
John Hancock Center (Chicago)
Franklin Center (Chicago)
Prudential Plaza (Chicago)
The Shard (London)

So a decent list, but a lot more to see - a lot of the cities I have travelled to have not had supertalls (Singapore, Ulaanbaatar, Lima, Calgary, Nairobi etc.) Still, not a bad list and I hope to see many more. I still need to visit cities like New York, Hong Kong and Dubai.
I've also seen supertall TV towers and other structures such as Beijing's CCTV Tower, Shanghai's Oriental Pearl, Toronto's CN Tower and Paris's Eiffel Tower.

The first supertall building I saw was Beijing's China World Trade Centre, in 2010. My family lived in China for 3 years so I had many opportunities to go out and explore Beijing, and many other areas of China! I did also see the Shanghai Tower while its core was rising, but it was less than 100 metres high at the time and so I'm not counting it on this list. And obviously being from the UK, I see the Shard regularly.

Also a musician, climber, creative writer, diver and world traveller!

Follow me on Twitter:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flickr page (The_Titan_Atlas):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KillerZavatar, Skyprince liked this post
SkyscraperSuperman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #5
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscraperSuperman View Post
Ryugyong Hotel (Pyongyang)
...dude!
Old May 25th, 2015, 05:00 PM   #6
SkyscraperSuperman
Hi.

Likes (Received): 589

Haha, yes I visited North Korea in 2013. My Dad had a job at the British Embassy (which is why he lived in Beijing for 3 years) so he had occasional trips to North Korea and I managed to join him on one of them.
Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of me and the building together, but I did manage to get a few of just the building itself.

Ryugyong Hotel 02 by Richard Francis, on Flickr

Ryugyong Hotel 03 by Richard Francis, on Flickr

And more on my Flickr page.

Also a musician, climber, creative writer, diver and world traveller!

Follow me on Twitter:

Flickr page (The_Titan_Atlas):

SkyscraperSuperman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 10:57 PM   #7
ajbenius

Likes (Received): 99

(including those that are over 300m by pinnacle height)

I've been a few of them, but for some others I have only seen them from a further distance (plane or train for example).

1. One World Trade Center
2. Willis Tower
3. Shanghai World Financial Center
4. John Hancock Center
5. Nanjing Greenland Financial Complex
6. Empire State Building
7. 432 Park Avenue
8. Jin Mao Tower
9. Bank of America Tower
10. Aon Center
11. First Canadian Place
12. 4 Times Square
13. Shanghai Shimao International Plaza
14. China World Trade Center Tower 3
15. Chrysler Building
16. New York Times Building
17. Franklin Center
18. One57
19. Two Prudential Plaza

KillerZavatar liked this post

Last edited by ajbenius; May 26th, 2015 at 10:53 PM.
ajbenius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #8
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1110

Top ten.

1. Sears Tower
2. Burj Khalifa
3. Empire State
4. Hancock
5. Shard
6. Trump
7. Marina City in general (dubai)
8. AON
9. Bank of America (Atlanta)
10. 1 WTC

apparently the Eiffel counts

Last edited by munchymunch; May 26th, 2015 at 08:28 AM.
munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 12:17 AM   #9
Jay

Likes (Received): 1740

By roof height:

Shanghai World Financial Center
Sears Tower
432 Park Avenue
World Trade Center (New and old)
Jin Mao Tower
Empire State Building
Trump Tower Chicago
Aon Center Chicago
John Hancock Center
Beijing WTC
Library Tower
One 57
Chase Tower Houston
Wells Fargo Houston
Bayoke Tower Bangkok

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 05:34 AM   #10
Hudson11
Excelsior!

Likes (Received): 18836

I'm still young and am not much of a traveled person. In the future I hope to visit the West Coast, Chicago and China which will add to my list by a great margin. The only cities I've been to with supertalls are Paris and NYC. I've seen:

400m+
1 WTC (freedom tower)
1 WTC (old North Tower)
2 WTC (Old South tower)
432 Park Avenue

300m+ roof height
Eiffel Tower, One 57, Empire State Building
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 08:26 AM   #11
ThatOneGuy
eltiT resU motsuC

1WTC, Empire State Building and a short glimpse of the Sears Tower from far away.

Spires and towers don't count
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #12
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5275

US Bank Tower in LA.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 11:46 PM   #13
Union Man
Interstellar

Likes (Received): 2963

I can't be bothered to list every super-tall I've seen, so I'll just list the tallest in each city that I've been to that has one.

Dubai
London
New York

The Burj Khalifa in Dubai is just mind bogglingly tall, if you ever have the chance to go to Dubai, go up the observation deck as the views are magnificent.

The Shard, minuscule in comparison to the Burj Khalifa, however the views of London are amazing and in my opinion the better looking out of the three.

Empire State Building is the quintessential skyscraper and has to be my favourite out of the three, breathtaking views of New York, both day and Night.

A worthy mention to the Chrysler Building, which has to be the most aesthetically pleasing skyscraper in the world.

Union Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 12:00 AM   #14
Blackhavvk

Likes (Received): 5065

1) CIty of Capitals
2) Eurasia
3) Mercuriy
4) OKO
5) Federation

All in Moscow

Blackhavvk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 11:25 AM   #15
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2075

400m+:

Shanghai Tower, Shanghai
SWFC, Shanghai
Jin Mao Tower, Shanghai
Petronas Towers, Kuala Lumpur

300m+:

The Shard, London

and

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 07:35 AM   #16
EMArg

Likes (Received): 22001

Mostly in NYC, and here's my list:

1) One57
2) Empire State
3) Chrysler Building
4) US Bank Tower LA
5) Park Ave
6) ..and several others in Lower Manhattan and Midtown NYC

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

EMArg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 08:13 AM   #17
jjjeffi

Likes (Received): 78

my list:

Bank of China tower, Hong Kong
2 International Financial Center, HK
International Commerce Center, HK
The Center, HK
Central Plaza, HK
Baiyoke Tower, Bangkok
Mahanakorn Tower, Bangkok
Sears (Willis) Tower, Chicago
John Hancock Center, Chicago
Trump Tower, Chicago
AON Center, Chicago
One World trade Center, NYC
Empire State tower, NYC
432 Park Ave.
One57
Bank of America tower, NYC
New York times tower
KK100, Shenzhen
Shun Hing square, Shenzhen

and still counting hopefully...
jjjeffi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:02 PM   #18
singa-knight

Likes (Received): 136

Petronas Towers
(Tour Eiffel)
Burj al Arab (from plane)
singa-knight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #19
h3x0r89

Likes (Received): 0

I have to see it atleast on google

h3x0r89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 02:55 AM   #20
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 9174

Chicago:
Aon Center
Franklin Center
John Hancock Center
Sears Tower
Trump International Hotel and Tower
Two Prudential Plaza

Chongqing
No idea. I saw the skyline many times though so I'm guessing I saw them all from a distance

Hong Kong:
Bank of China Center
Central Plaza
The Center
International Commerce Centre
Two International Finance Centre

Houston:
JP Morgan Chase Tower
Wells Fargo Plaza

London:
The Shard

New York:
Chrysler Building (from nearby)
Empire State Building (from a distance)
New York Times Building
One World Trade Center (when U/C in 2012)

Paris:
Eiffel Tower (if it counts)

Shanghai:
Jin Mao Tower
Shanghai Financial Center
Shanghai Tower

Taipei:
Taipei 101

25 so far at least

THE UNITED CITIES OF AMERICA
Atlanta (6,487,835) - Boston (8,222,415) - Chicago (9,945,485) - Cleveland (3,487,643) - Dallas (7,689,684) - Denver (3,507,350) - Detroit (5,320,137) - Houston (7,054,846)
Los Angeles (18,896,294) - Miami (6,785,744) - Minneapolis (3,915,836) - New York (23,898,249) - Orlando (3,213,280) - Philadelphia (7,214,637) - Phoenix (4,677,450)
Portland (3,162,039) - San Diego (3,354,626) - San Francisco (8,865,022) - Seattle (4,691,050) - Tampa (3,026,957) - Washington (9,780,016)(Est Pop 12/1/16)

Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote