daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #3021
Prince Valium
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 179
Likes (Received): 31

Then there's the fugly Zizkov tower.
[/QUOTE]

...is this 'tower' already finished?
Prince Valium no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #3022
Himmelwärts
Emotional User
 
Himmelwärts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vienna
Posts: 3,627
Likes (Received): 6301

i really like the Zizkov tower, the design is unique and very futuristic.
__________________
Urban in German User of the Year 2012
Himmelwärts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #3023
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum
 
Godius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Leeuwarden
Posts: 2,588
Likes (Received): 4067

It looks like an oversized offshore platform.
Godius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #3024
Prince Valium
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 179
Likes (Received): 31

Okey..this is a proposal for my city (Zürich), which I really hate! a lot of recourses were made against this proposal but finally, I think it will be built. don't know at which stage this is now..I hope it will be defered that long that the relevant parties decide to cancel it

It is the swiss mill tower:



(http://media.schweizerbauer.ch/image...milltower1.jpg)

what do you think about that?

I think its just disgusting..
Prince Valium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #3025
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

I think it looks very good
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #3026
Prince Valium
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 179
Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I think it looks very good
.. a perfect example of taste and how different it can be

..i think i will never like it..
Prince Valium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #3027
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,479

It looks brutalist, which is a perfectly valid architectural style, but it seems not many people like that style. I kinda like the building in the photo.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #3028
Matsky
Matsky
 
Matsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vienna
Posts: 2,964
Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Terrible. Umeda Sky Building in Osaka.
Oh c'mon....That's a building....
__________________
If I'll ever have a son I'll call him...Bill or George...anything but Sue.
-Johnny Cash-
Matsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #3029
cfredo
Registered User
 
cfredo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Stuttgart/Frankfurt
Posts: 888
Likes (Received): 1334

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisgustavo View Post
This building was built in 1956, in that time the architecture and his parameters like the aesthetic, was very different to the current.
Just because it was considered good-looking doesn't mean it still is.
Really beautiful buildings are considered beautiful throughout time (e.g. Chrysler Building in NYC)
cfredo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 04:29 AM   #3030
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...
 
WeimieLvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,085
Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfredo View Post
Just because it was considered good-looking doesn't mean it still is.
Really beautiful buildings are considered beautiful throughout time (e.g. Chrysler Building in NYC)
Well, actually many currently iconic buildings weren't well-received initially...so sometimes they start out being considered ugly but gradually become beautiful.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 12:34 PM   #3031
Kiboko
hubba hubba
 
Kiboko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,462
Likes (Received): 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
This is the reason I am never visiting Shanghai!
So a (by you considered) ugly building is the reason to skip a visit to a complete city? Every city has its ugly buildings, so i guess it is very hard for you to plan a trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfredo View Post
Really beautiful buildings are considered beautiful throughout time (e.g. Chrysler Building in NYC)
I bet there are numerous people who dislike the Chrysler Building.
Kiboko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 12:36 PM   #3032
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
I bet there are numerous people who dislike the Chrysler Building.
Like me for example
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 02:26 PM   #3033
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally
 
KillerZavatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Düsseldorf
Posts: 11,330
Likes (Received): 8230

i don't think chrysler building is really nice, but it also is not ruining its neighboring skyline, so i do not really mind. however tower verre will be an eyesore once built.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 04:54 PM   #3034
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,479

Well that tower, in my opinion, is hideously grotesque. The fact that it stands out from almost everywhere (unlike some buildings in other cities) means there aren't that many places where it is hidden. If I ever go, it will be inside the Pearl Tower itself, to avoid looking at it.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 05:21 PM   #3035
マイルズ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 157
Likes (Received): 8

image hosted on flickr


Quote:
The Portland Building was recently declared one of the 15 ugliest buildings in the world by Travel and Leisure magazine (http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...est-buildings/ 1). I disagree - I rather like this colorful building, especially with the statue of Portlandia on the front side (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfy/3514536480/).
マイルズ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 05:33 PM   #3036
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

From that article I see that I'm not the only one who finds the Slaughterhotel hideous
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 06:47 PM   #3037
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,479

Between America and N. Korea, the Cold War is still going on. Every list of 'ugliest buildings' on American sites will include the Ryugyong in order to build up hated for North Korea. It's called propaganda. They mostly use (the unfinished version) to symbolize the failure of North Korean politics. They rarely give good reasons as to WHY they think it's ugly, they just use it to diss North Korea itself.

They mention that it 'dominates over the city' as an excuse, but so does the Khalifa, as well as others like the Torso. They mention the 75 degree angles, but Russia Tower has steep angles, and dominates also, yet I haven't ever seen one complaint about it.

I'll bet if the Ryugyong was built in an American-friendly country, and was finished on time,it would not make any 'ugly buildings' list.
I'd say it should get a permanent first place on the "World's most underrated buildings" list.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 08:15 PM   #3038
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

Neither of the reasons you listed is enough on its own, however, when they are combined they are reason enough for it to be among the ugliest buildings in the world. And I disagree that it is propaganda. Everybody knows how evil North Korea is, there is no need for propaganda. I believe that it are just the honest opinions of the people creating the list. especially if we consider that the Slaughterhotel has probably the most "3 or less /10" ratings in the entire rate the talls section
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:28 PM   #3039
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,479

I've read many online blogs from non-Americans who have visited North Korea, and most of them just acted as if it was merely 'below average' compared to other countries. Of course, nobody is fully sure, since they don't live there, but it wasn't like say, Somalia, or anything. One of the European bloggers even said he refuses to visit N. Korea again unless he can stay in the Ryugyong.
Americans, on the other hand, make lists like those.

Considering like 80% of the votes were from when it was incomplete, I'm not surprised. Even I would have voted it 3 or less when it was unfinished.
I think it also has one of the greatest '10/10 vs ≤ 3/10' ratio in the entire talls section as well

You are one of the few people who has given good reasons as to why you don't like the design, which is totally fine with me. But if I ask anybody else, they mention it's ugly because it was 'abandoned for 16 years' or 'because it's in a failure of a country' which I think is totally unfair

The most similar building to the Ryugyong is the Russia Tower in terms of design and dominating size, so why, exactly, do people not hate it? I've seen nothing but praise for it...

My point summed up, I think it is wrong for a building to be judged by its background, like Americans are doing to the Ryugyong.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 10:05 PM   #3040
cfredo
Registered User
 
cfredo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Stuttgart/Frankfurt
Posts: 888
Likes (Received): 1334

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Well that tower, in my opinion, is hideously grotesque. The fact that it stands out from almost everywhere (unlike some buildings in other cities) means there aren't that many places where it is hidden. If I ever go, it will be inside the Pearl Tower itself, to avoid looking at it.
You actually can't see the Oriental Pearl Tower from most parts of the city.
cfredo no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
skyscrapers

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu