daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #821
MDguy

wow that Prauge one is a disaster
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #822
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvenking View Post
Now that's something:

Łucka City, Warsaw's ugliest skyscraper. 120m, completed 2004.
I wouldn't go as far as to call this building ugly. It's plain but at least has some "brightness" to it. The stupid signs also detract from it's appeal. Or maybe it's a bad angle?
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #823
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4543

No, it's just ugly.
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #824
butch83

Likes (Received): 66

There are ugly buildings in this thread, but generally it shows how ignorant people are in terms of architecture, I've seen some really good designs here and Im not talkin about Gehrys crap in Prague, nor Lucka City in Warsaw
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #825
_Barca_

Likes (Received): 73

So what are you talking about?
_Barca_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #826
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4543

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch83 View Post
There are ugly buildings in this thread, but generally it shows how ignorant people are in terms of architecture, I've seen some really good designs here and Im not talkin about Gehrys crap in Prague, nor Lucka City in Warsaw
Honestly I like most buildings posted in this thread...
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #827
butch83

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Barca_ View Post
So what are you talking about?
Bit dirty, still far from being ugly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscraperSuperman View Post
A couple of fairly unattractive London scrapers:
Not a fan of the one on the right, still even this one is good design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrega View Post
You must be talking about the brick buildings around the towers because they came up nicely.

some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_alan90alan View Post
From Buenos Aires Argentina with Love..

The Ugly leparc puerto madero x3 ..

This one Id like to see in my city in certain place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh American View Post

Cardiff
Digged just a few pages back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluminat View Post
Honestly I like most buildings posted in this thread...
Ive went thru like 15 pages of this thread yet and I have similar conclusions
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #828
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5851

Hey, i love that cardiff one, the grey colour isnt that good but its quite a short tower thats disguised by its great dimentions, heres a better pic

Its not just a 4 sided box either it has 8 sides and a crown, i think it would be more fair to say it was bland rather than ugly!
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #829
Elvenking

Likes (Received): 2551

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscraperSuperman View Post
A couple of fairly unattractive London scrapers:
lol, that's simmilar to one of Gdańsk skyscrapers

I don't consider it as ugly though; after removing those awful antennas and renovation it would be nice
Reminds me this one a little bit:

"A pan myślisz, że chaotyczne kombinacje efemerycznych pryncypiów są w stanie zdeterminować neutralną cywitatywę absolutnego relatywizmu immanentno-transcendentalnej solipsystycznej jaźni? Tak czy nie?! Gadaj pan!!!"
Elvenking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #830
Tramfreak
ΔE = hv

Quote:
Originally Posted by william of waco View Post

Can someone PLEASE explain to me how this is a masterpiece? As I wrote in another thread, people are probably inclined to praise Gehry simply because he is famous for being a good architect. Whenever I ask an admirer to explain exactly what it is they find so awesome about him I am usually met with a blank stare followed by an equally blank answer, condescending in tone. Something about "curvilinear aesthetics". Uh-huh.
Well, I don't really care who designed it but I still regard it as a well designed building. It fits its surroundings well, it's original, and most people praise it because it's the only example of unusual modern architecture in Prague. We also have ugly modern boxes, but these are not even good enough to create controversy. The Dancing House doesn't suffer from any leaks as far as I know, and despite its complicated shape, the building shows qualities like very good insulation. Whether you like it or not is a matter of taste, but I don't see a reason why other people couldn't consider this a masterpiece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSkyscraper22 View Post
dancing building in pargue......so ugly
Just a tip: Would you mind to spell the name of the city right next time? I believe that you comments and opinions would be much more valid for many forum members.
Tramfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #831
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

The Prague one's not bad, and I think Gehry's a pompous dick.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #832
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

Tramfreak wrote:
Quote:
I still regard it as a well designed building. It fits its surroundings well, it's original...
How is it well designed? How is it original?
The buildings that surround the Dancing House fit their surroundings well, something that Gehry did not respect enough to take into consideration. His design gives the appearance of trying to muscle its way into the spot, causing it to stand out in stark contrast. In my opinion, whenever an architect is attempting to fit a new building onto an historic sight, the design should conform to the style of architecture already established. Gehry's building seems original because it stands out in a city that is famous for its Baroque/Neo-Baroque prospects, which can be overwhelming to some visitors. When they happen upon a building like the Dancing House it is only natural that its startling contrast will cause them to make a hasty judgment in its favor, simply because it is so unlike Prague.
Some cities have an ambitious tendency to collect buildings designed by famous architects in the hope that they can establish themselves as progressive. In they're enthusiasm they are more likely to comission an architect who is already well established rather than risk hiring someone who is new to the scene. I wonder if there were other designs considered before the Dancing House was chosen.

Quote:
I think Gehry's a pompous dick
Quote:
Contracts with Gehry Partners turn out to have clauses gagging public criticism or complaint...
Sadly, Gehry has made it very clear on numerous occasions that he has nothing but contempt for the publics attitude toward his work. He confirms this by simply ignoring their protests, as if they just don’t know what’s good for them.

Quote:
(Dancing House)...is the only example of unusual modern architecture in Prague.
You missed one:

The Danube House by Kohn-Pederson-Fox

(both images from wiki)

Last edited by william of waco; May 25th, 2009 at 08:44 PM.
william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #833
MDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramfreak View Post

Just a tip: Would you mind to spell the name of the city right next time? I believe that you comments and opinions would be much more valid for many forum members.
No need to attack just because you don't agree with us.

But thank you, grammar police!

Okay I'll redo it just for you:

wow that Prague one is a disaster

Last edited by MDguy; May 26th, 2009 at 02:54 AM.
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #834
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSkyscraper22 View Post
dancing building in pargue......so ugly
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy View Post
It's Paurge. Idiots.

Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #835
butch83

OMFG

P R A G U E

Old May 27th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #836
craperskys
kommt nen Mann zum Arzt..

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
I like this building
i'll 2nd that.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #837
william of waco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik
I like this building
Quote:
Originally Posted by craperskys View Post
i'll 2nd that.
Please explain why you like this building. I have been asking this same question for a few years now and no one has ever given me a satisfactory answer.
I'm not trying to be an A-hole, I would just like someone to tell me what it is that makes the Dancing House as well as his other buildings so appealing to them.
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #838
craperskys
kommt nen Mann zum Arzt..

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Please explain why you like this building. I have been asking this same question for a few years now and no one has ever given me a satisfactory answer.
I'm not trying to be an A-hole, I would just like someone to tell me what it is that makes the Dancing House as well as his other buildings so appealing to them.
it's all good, your question is ok.

because it's more a sculpture as then a building, it breaks the monotone structure of the periphery in a creative way.
the "basic idea " is pretty much like the medienhafen in düsseldorf.
but as you know tastes are quintessentially different if it comes to art work.

like with dali or hundertwasser - love it or hate it.
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #839
william of waco

Quote:
Originally Posted by craperskys View Post

...more a sculpture as then a building, it breaks the monotone structure of the periphery in a creative way.
the "basic idea " is pretty much like the medienhafen in düsseldorf.
but as you know tastes are quintessentially different if it comes to art work.

like with dali or hundertwasser - love it or hate it.
Thank you, craperskys. This is a much better explanation than I have recieved before. But, I have heard others compare his works to sculpture as well and it looks as though I am going to have to live with that.
Love it or hate it? Not so much hate, I just dont feel the kind of exhilaration I get with works by other architects. I'm a huge fan of Berlage, by the way, and am always somewhat astounded when I hear someone describe his work less than enthusiastically.
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:45 AM   #840
Luis Indepels

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

(wiki)

Can someone PLEASE explain to me how this is a masterpiece? As I wrote in another thread, people are probably inclined to praise Gehry simply because he is famous for being a good architect. Whenever I ask an admirer to explain exactly what it is they find so awesome about him I am usually met with a blank stare followed by an equally blank answer, condescending in tone. Something about "curvilinear aesthetics". Uh-huh.
If a lesser known architect had designed the Dancing House people might not be so reluctant to contain they're criticism. One reason for this hesitance is that Gehry devotees have the tendency of accusing critics of just not getting it. Not getting what? THEY NEVER SAY WHAT! They are also likely to cite a persons lack of "proper" education or professional experience as proof that they are not qualified to judge his work. There are other factors to be considered as well. Have a look at this interesting quote I found on another site(The Knickerblogger):

"Contracts with Gehry Partners turn out to have clauses gagging public criticism or complaint, so now critics are wondering whether problems are being covered-up at Bilbao and other famous buildings."

They were alluding to his Stata Centre at M.I.T., which Gehry is being sued for because of leaks, moldy bricks, cracking masonry and bad drains, as well as insufficient design for it's intended purpose. Kind of embarassing, considering all the initial gushing praise heaped upon it. Here is an example by The Boston Globe architecture columnist Robert Campbell:

"The Stata is always going to look unfinished. It also looks as if it's about to collapse. Columns tilt at scary angles. Walls teeter, swerve, and collide in random curves and angles. Materials change wherever you look: brick, mirror-surface steel, brushed aluminum, brightly colored paint, corrugated metal. Everything looks improvised, as if thrown up at the last moment. That's the point. The Stata's appearance is a metaphor for the freedom, daring, and creativity of the research that's supposed to occur inside it."

Huh?! It's supposed to look like it is unsafe to enter? Wouldn't Mr. Campbell's type of praise normally be interpreted as criticism?
A metaphor, huh? Honestly, I get more confused the longer I try to figure this thing out.

Can anyone, with college degree or not, kindly elaborate on just what it is I am not understanding?
Please take me step by step, inch by inch, and explain the appeal.
Ghery is one trick p(h)ony.

I hate it when someone combines humour with architecture such as in this case. Architecture is a serious thing.

You see a building almost crushed by another building, nevertheless, it keeps on standing and survives. Now that's the kind of fun which belongs in Disney Land, behind closed doors or in artificial places like Las Vegas.

What I spacially hate about this building: the pillars where it stands on...

So never combine humour with architecture. You get something childish.
Luis Indepels no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyscrapers