daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:18 PM   #2101
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

While the helipad / observation level is a bit to ruin the smooth lines, I'll admit it's a heck of an awesome, open, and see-through tourist area! Too bad they didn't put one on each side to keep it somewhat symetrical.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:26 PM   #2102
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

I have a hunch that this will not get built.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:28 PM   #2103
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I hope it'll get built but without the horrible helipad

But we have to take into consideration that Saudi Arabia is experiencing it's golden age right now with the civil war in Libya. With it's only true rival in oil export gone the whole world is dependent on Saudi Arabia

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:29 PM   #2104
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

del

Last edited by avatar1; August 24th, 2011 at 02:07 PM.
avatar1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:33 PM   #2105
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8242

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar1 View Post
yeah we know, but its an old diagram the maker of the diagram is a user on here though, so maybe he will also make one for the new design x)
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:50 PM   #2106
Axel_F

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I hope it'll get built but without the horrible helipad
Once again - its not a helipad! It was planned as a helipad but it was redesigned to the outdoor observation deck!

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_916207.html (Adrian Smith Talks Designing World's Tallest Building)

Last edited by Axel_F; August 2nd, 2011 at 11:56 PM.
Axel_F no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:04 AM   #2107
Rody69

Likes (Received): 1918

At six feet, Adrian Smith is fairly tall for an architect.

But now, with the announcement that his Kingdom Tower in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, will begin construction this year, he may qualify as the world's tallest architect. After all, the Kingdom Tower, which will be at least 3,280 feet tall, is eclipsing another of Smith's designs, Dubai's Burj Khalifa, for the honor of being the world's tallest building.

Smith planned the Burj Khalifa while he was with Skidmore, Owings & Merrill; he's now at Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture. He took a few minutes to speak with The Huffington Post by phone from Saudi Arabia, where it was 115 degrees Tuesday when Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, King Abdullah's nephew and the chairman of the Kingdom Holding Company, announced that the construction will begin soon.

The tower, which will cost $1.2 billion and take 63 months to build, will include a Four Seasons hotel, apartments and condominiums, office space and the world's highest observatory. It will be at least 568 feet taller than the Burj Khalifa.

How was the process of designing the Kingdom Tower different from Burj Khalifa?

They both started with a competition. On Burj Khalifa, that competition was very short, really a competition of ideas only. We were selected for that project after just three or four weeks. On the Kingdom Tower, the competition process was about eight or nine months long. They started with nine entries and one was taken away each month. In the end it was just us and SOM and we won out.

Why does the world need a new tallest building? Why the focus on this distinction?

There's something very special about being the world's tallest building. Everyone wants to be able to do one. I think in this situation there is a development going around the tower -- a $29 billion development -- and this tower acts as a catalyst for that development. Putting such a tall tower in first actually increases the land value around the tower, so even if you don't make a lot of money on the tower itself you'll make money on the land.

On the cost of the tower itself, $1.2 billion, how does that compare with what you might find in the U.S.?

Well, New York is a very expensive place to build. In the Middle East you have very inexpensive labor and they work three shifts, so they keep going all around the clock. That helps keep the cost of construction low here. But it's comparable to Chicago, and other parts of the U.S.

Was the sky terrace a demand from the owner, or is it something you're happy with having on the building?

The idea started out as a helipad, and we came up with the projected, cantilevered dish. And then we started talking to pilots and they said, 'Well, up at that height it's going to be pretty difficult to land.' But the owner and we liked it so much that we thought we'd keep it as a sky terrace. It'll have a little garden; don't forget, six months of the year here it's a beautiful climate. The winter here, temperature wise, is a lot like living in California.

On a building like this, where it's by definition entirely new, what are the precedents and influences?

What struck us is that Saudi Arabia is trying to open itself up to more business and more opportunity. So we thought about the fact that this is a new vision for Saudi Arabia, and the idea of newness struck us. We thought about how the palm tree, when it's just starting out as a plant, it will grow to a point and then the prongs will separate. The building is not a replication of that but the idea influenced us.

sourse

Rody69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:15 AM   #2108
fordgtman1992
Oregonian at heart

Likes (Received): 223

Oh my god. those renders look amazing. I dont mind the platform but it could do without. Im now remided why Adrian Smith is my favorite architect
fordgtman1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:17 AM   #2109
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

so what is it now? proposed? approved? preparation?
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:19 AM   #2110
Dancing Banana

Likes (Received): 277

I wonder how high the highset usable floor will be. maybe 700m?

Dancing Banana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:39 AM   #2111
bunt_q

Likes (Received): 0

So when the aliens come, and they naturally decide to make contact at the site of the world's tallest building, it'll be... in the middle of the desert. And then they'll leave, saying to themselves, "well, nothing here worth seeing." Sounds like a perfect defensive strategy for the Earth. I like it.

Seriously, though, I like it. Total waste of money. But if I had more money than God, I'd probably build myself a tower too. On that note, I think I'll go for a drive around the block and make my financial contribution to the project.
bunt_q no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:01 AM   #2112
R063R

Likes (Received): 15

not suprise, this country spend a lot of money, this is really sad!
R063R no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:07 AM   #2113
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1153

That doesn't really matter at all, what matters is that this is finally getting the motion it deserves. **** all those fancy visionary towers from Kuwait, Dubai, and else, this behemoth is materialising fast.

krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:16 AM   #2114
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
So when the aliens come, and they naturally decide to make contact at the site of the world's tallest building, it'll be... in the middle of the desert. And then they'll leave, saying to themselves, "well, nothing here worth seeing." Sounds like a perfect defensive strategy for the Earth. I like it.

Seriously, though, I like it. Total waste of money. But if I had more money than God, I'd probably build myself a tower too. On that note, I think I'll go for a drive around the block and make my financial contribution to the project.
jeddah has over 3 million inhabitants and mecca isnt that far either. i dont say its as busy as Shanghai or Mumbai or New York or whatever, but i wouldnt call 3 million people the middle of the desert, also its a harbour so its more like the edge of the desert if you will

Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:34 AM   #2115
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

awesome

CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:37 AM   #2116
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

culwulla, we expect an awesome diagram when this project gets under construction at the end of the year

Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:42 AM   #2117
Yaghuth

Likes (Received): 718

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post

since when the red see coast is " in the middle of the desert " ??
jeddah's population is about 4 million
and when the aliens come ,, they will find this tower in the meddle of the meddle east ,, the home of some of the oldest human structures and civilizations ,,
seriously people ,, stop depending on Fox news and George Clooney movies for information ..

anyway ,, please explain to me why would "Chicago" be a better alternative for the aliens

Last edited by Yaghuth; August 3rd, 2011 at 02:50 AM.
Yaghuth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:46 AM   #2118
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post

quoting old post of the same design model.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:56 AM   #2119
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 325

So what is the expected final height and a start date?
Westyguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:03 AM   #2120
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

^its 1000m (1km) and will start before xmas
ive worked out some heights
height of observation ring=approx 640m
height of 2nd highest pinnacle =828m
Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
awesome