daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:11 PM   #2221
FloripaNation
Não creio no que não vejo

Likes (Received): 11215

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgtman1992 View Post
I say 600m+ should be Megatalls. There arent enough 1000m+ buildings to create a category for them just yet.

Highrises: 100-199m
Skyscrapers: 200-299m
Supertalls: 300m-599m
Megatalls: 600m+

This sounds like a good idea, there are enough 600+ buildings

Übertalls ou Ultratalls for 1000m+

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
FloripaNation no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:46 PM   #2222
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesch View Post
Sorry to disappoint, but Jeddah's been continuously inhabited for over a millennia
I meant 'architecturally speaking' of course...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the article I posted earlier in the afternoon, the latter said that works would not start before 5 years...do you guys confirm this information?

In other respects, wasn't China planning to build a 'hypertall' as well (over 1km tall)? I'm fairly sure to have read that somewhere...
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:47 PM   #2223
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAJ1992 View Post
examples of what's better looking, STANDING ALONE, than the Eiffel tower.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:18 PM   #2224
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Yeah, Taipei 101 does look pretty good by itself from that angle. But this thing, will be twice as tall as T101. I think that's just too damn tall :/

I know as a skyscraper enthusiast, I should be excited for this, but I just can't :/
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:25 PM   #2225
fordgtman1992
Oregonian at heart

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
Yeah, Taipei 101 does look pretty good by itself from that angle. But this thing, will be twice as tall as T101. I think that's just too damn tall :/

I know as a skyscraper enthusiast, I should be excited for this, but I just can't :/
You are complaining it is too tall? It's too short
fordgtman1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #2226
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

its made aussie news
sydneys paper today
i really hate the burjK they have used. they always stuff up the top section.
there isnt any building above 650m let alone 750m. top is 200m spire.
anyway puts things into perspective. sydney tower is dwarfed.

CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #2227
singoone
€ Scraping the sky €

Likes (Received): 666

I think it´s an amazing tower , one kilometre is just incredible! But i also think it would look better among more supertalls no in the middle of nothing :/
singoone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #2228
Delo

Likes (Received): 14

Wow. I visited a building in Sweden that is 100m tall and I thought that was something... but 10 TIMES more
Delo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #2229
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8242

funny how location always says a country name exept for UAE

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 01:59 AM   #2230
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
funny how location always says a country name exept for UAE
Is Sydney a country too?

Also, Completed: 2016 (expected)
Old August 4th, 2011, 02:49 AM   #2231
ssaa

Likes (Received): 1

from business insider by Jeffrey Towson, Global Gold Rush Report

Waleed's Saudi Mega Tower is Even Cooler Than You Think

As reported in Financial Times today, Prince Waleed is building the world’s tallest building in Saudi Arabia. As he was my boss for quite a long time, and I was pretty involved in this project, I thought I would highlight some of its really cool aspects.

And make no mistake. Waleed’s “super awesome mega tower” is the greatest real estate project ever attempted.

Cool Factoid #1: The tower could reach one mile.

That would be 1,600 meters, almost double the height of Dubai’s 828m Burj Khalifa. The exact height for Waleed's tower has been analyzed internally for years. It was recently reported as above 1,000m but the discussions have also included the one mile scenario. This would be an interesting move as the natural next step for an ultra-tall skyscraper would something at around 1,000 meters. But with a mile tower, Waleed could effectively jump a generation (and create a truly one-of-a-kind structure).

A quick note: Everything that is written here (or anywhere else by me) about Waleed / KHC is strictly limited to information that is already widely known. I am a loyal guy. There are no personal or inside stories here.

Cool Factoid #2: It’s not a tower. It’s a city in the sky.

Everyone knows what a building is. You come in, go up the elevators and then leave. And a skyscraper is just a really tall version of this. Offices. Retail in the podium. A hotel. Maybe some apartments.

But when you start building to 1,000 meters and above, it becomes something different. Vertical transportation is a big factor. You can’t just go down and leave for lunch. A mega tower is not just two (or three) 500 meter towers stuck together. It is something new.

A structure of this height most resembles a city in the sky. You live and work in it. And it’s so big you can put city-like things in it – such as museums and shopping centers. You can create parks up in the clouds. Very cool.

Cool Factoid #3: The tower is just one part of an entire city Waleed is building.

The development covers an entire peninsula and creates an entire new city on the north side of Jeddah. Early models have shown Park Avenue-like thoroughfares, waterfront apartment high-rises, harbors, intersecting waterways, and maybe even a university. It is effectively a new city with the mega tower as its symbol.

Cool Factoid #4: The tower sits at the front of a new Sydney-like harbor.

Iconic structures always look better on the water. But the tower is in the center of the new city and there aren’t a lot of lakes in Saudi Arabia. So Waleed is building a new harbor into the center of the development and connecting it by waterways to the Red Sea. This will allow the tower to sit at the front of a Sydney-like harbor. It is really spectacular and you can find published pictures of it online.

Cool Factoid #5: The fire escape plan may require parachutes

Building such a tall structure creates lots of interesting questions. What do you do about the swaying? (It moves a lot) Does it poke into the nearby airspace? (Yes) And what do you do for a fire escape given the vertical transportation problems? Parachutes? It's a fascinating project.

---

The Middle East has gotten a lot of flak about some of its mega-real estate projects. Many were petrodollar fueled extravaganzas. Many were short-term speculation. And true, Dubai got way out of control for a while.

But Waleed, like Buffett, is a value investor (mostly). If he’s moving forward with a project of this scale, he is not speculating. It’s not government money doing something stupid. He’s operating as a businessman in the private markets - and he’s making his returns by creating (and capturing) real economic value. It’s the real thing.

To do a project like this is pretty great. But to do it based on solid economics (and a healthy ROI) is particularly impressive.

ssaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 02:52 AM   #2232
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
Is Sydney a country too?

Also, Completed: 2016 (expected)
haha i didnt realise it's still ****ed up xD

the city inside a buiding thing is kinda awesome, but the floor space tells me different. the floor area is big, but not bigger than other skyscrapers that are under construction. if it in fact would be like a mile high the floor area would also have to increase or this is unrealistic. and the floor area seems pretty much planned out because its everywhere the same so i doubt its far over 1000m

Last edited by KillerZavatar; August 4th, 2011 at 02:58 AM.
Old August 4th, 2011, 03:05 AM   #2233
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 678

this is almost 3 times the size of 1wtc.... how is the floor space small, or even normal?
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #2234
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Kingdom Tower: 540,000 m2

Shanghai Tower: 380,000 m²
Burj Khalifa: 309,473 m²
willis tower: 424,000 m²
one world trade center: 241,548 m²
Keangnam Hanoi: 579,000 m²
Taipei 101: 412,500 m²

after rethinking it is a big area considering it has a different overall form to Burj Khalifa. but its not like it could be 1600m in size with that area unless its very very thin.

Old August 4th, 2011, 03:41 AM   #2235
INFERNAL ELF

Location: Trondheim Trying to reach Someplace with Skyscrapers
Likes (Received): 159

Partay finnaly it is happening

its not gonna stop now

Coruscant here we come
INFERNAL ELF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 04:14 AM   #2236
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgtman1992 View Post
I say 600m+ should be Megatalls. There arent enough 1000m+ buildings to create a category for them just yet.

Megatalls: 600m+

This sounds like a good idea, there are enough 600+ buildings
Here is the final plan:

Ultratalls: 600m-999m
Mastertalls: 1000m+ (These towers catch any type of Pokemon without fail)
Old August 4th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #2237
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Lol, just do Highrises (100-199), Skyscrapers (200-299), Supertalls (300-599), and Ultratalls/Megatalls/whatever (600+). Maybe in 50 years we can have Gigatall/Hypertall/whatever (1000+) as a category, but right now, one building having a category to itself is just stupid.
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 05:09 AM   #2238
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

woooow :o

Kingdom Tower Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
http://smithgill.com/media/pdfs/Kingdom_for_web4.pdf

At over 1,000 meters (3,280 feet) and a total construction area of 530,000 square meters (5.7 million square feet), Kingdom Tower will be the centerpiece and first construction phase of the $20 billion Kingdom City development in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, near the Red Sea.
Expectedtocost$1.2billiontoconstruct,KingdomTowerwillbeamixed-usebuildingfeaturingaluxuryhotel,office space, serviced apartments, luxury condominiums and the world’s highest observatory. Kingdom Tower’s height will be at least 173 meters (568 feet) taller than Burj Khalifa, which was designed by Adrian Smith while at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.
AS+GG’s design for Kingdom Tower is both highly technological and distinctly organic. With its slender, subtly asymmetrical massing, the tower evokes a bundle of leaves shooting up from the ground—a burst of new life that heralds more growth all around it. This symbolizes the tower as a catalyst for increased development around it.
The sleek, streamlined form of the tower was inspired by the folded fronds of young desert plant growth. The way the fronds sprout upward from the ground as a single form, then start separating from each other at the top, is an analogy of new growth fused with technology. While the design is contextual to Saudi Arabia, it also represents an evolution and a refinement of an architectural continuum of skyscraper design. The three-petal footprint is ideal for residential units, and the tapering wings produce an aerodynamic shape that helps reduce structural loading due to wind vortex shedding. The Kingdom Tower design embraces its architectural pedigree, taking full advantage of the proven design strategies and technological strategies of its lineage, refining and advancing them to achieve new heights.
The result is an elegant, cost-efficient and highly constructible design that is at once grounded in built tradition and aggressively forward-looking, taking advantage of new and innovative thinking about technology, building materials, life-cycle considerations and energy conservation. For example, the project will feature a high-performance exterior wall system that will minimize energy consumption by reducing thermal loads. In addition, each of Kingdom Tower’s three sides features a series of notches that create pockets of shadow that shield areas of the building from the sun and provide outdoor terraces with stunning views of Jeddah and the Red Sea.
The great height of Kingdom Tower necessitates one of the world’s most sophisticated elevator systems. The Kingdom Tower complex will contain 59 elevators, including 54 single-deck and five double-deck elevators, along with 12 escalators. Elevators serving the observatory will travel at a rate of 10 meters per second in both directions. Another unique feature of the design is a sky terrace, roughly 30 meters (98 feet) in diameter, at level 157. It is an outdoor amenity space intended for use by the penthouse floor.
The area surrounding Kingdom Tower is known as the Kingdom Tower Waterfront District. Designed by AS+GG, the 23-hectare Waterfront District provides a cohesive and pedestrian-friendly setting for the magnificent KingdomTowerwhilecreatingapleasantneighborhoodexperiencenestledalongtheKingdomCitylakefront.The Kingdom Tower Waterfront District encompasses a high-end shopping mall and additional development parcels that accommodate commercial and high-density residential uses, offices, two luxury hotels and high-quality open spaces, including the central Tower Plaza. A serene waterfront promenade connects Kingdom Tower, the various development parcels, the open space areas and the mall together. The result is an exciting mixed-use area that offers a concentrated and comprehensive experience including vibrant shopping, entertainment and open-space amenities. The Waterfront District also provides an array of connections to other areas within Kingdom City’s overall master plan, designed by HOK Architects.
The Waterfront District is subdivided into 13 development parcels, the largest of which are the Kingdom Tower parcel of about 90,000 square meters and the mall parcel of about 65,000 sm. Smaller mixed-use parcels of between 5,000 sm and 10,000 sm are arranged in two development precincts, North and South, each with its own unifying palette of materials. The parcel sizes vary depending on the density of each site; the larger sites are farther away from Kingdom Tower, with the smaller sites stepping closer to the tower, creating the effect of an architectural amphitheater around the structure. Views of Kingdom Tower from throughout the District—including the sensitively designed 20- to 60-story buildings around the tower—are spectacular. The buildings closest to the tower are of lower heights, ensuring that the outer buildings also have access to views of Kingdom Tower.

Last edited by GulfArabia; August 4th, 2011 at 05:18 AM.
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #2239
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

alwaleed : "it will be higher than 1000 meters"

GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 05:40 AM   #2240
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
Kingdom Tower: 540,000 m2

Shanghai Tower: 380,000 m²
Burj Khalifa: 309,473 m²
willis tower: 424,000 m²
one world trade center: 241,548 m²
Keangnam Hanoi: 579,000 m²
Taipei 101: 412,500 m²

after rethinking it is a big area considering it has a different overall form to Burj Khalifa. but its not like it could be 1600m in size with that area unless its very very thin.
Hi Killer.

The BK is 465,000 sq. m. total by what I have.
I agree with some here the KT will be 1,001 meters high, so 540,000 sq. m. sounds reasonable.

I like that the majority of the responses to this news are positive.

As for the BK being somehow less because of this project - I disagree. I have always said the BK will be the structure that opened the floodgates of all the taller projects to come - still the greatest structure of our time IMO.

I think this project is great news and a km. high is the natural progression of supertalls. Definitely on my watched project list - I hope the update coverage will be good.

Ray.

Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest