daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2011, 02:25 AM   #2641
fordgtman1992
Oregonian at heart

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post
prince al-waleed himself said that it will be MORE THAN 1000m . Then, how would it be 442*2 (LESS THAN 1000m) while the architect said that it will be as twice the height of sears tower. So, the question now is .. What is the EXACT height of sears tower (not the roof) ??? [remember it must be > 500m]

I've got it 527m from wikipedia :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_Tower

Sorry, maybe you two thought I was meaning the roof !!

I think everyone have got my idea after this ..
He wasn't saying it is exactly 2x taller than Willis. He was giving a rough visual to show people just how tall it is compared to something people are familiar with
fordgtman1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2011, 03:04 AM   #2642
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

It's going to be 1007m. Why is anyone still arguing?
Old October 20th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #2643
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1021

I know that Saudi Arabia is very short of buildings right now, but why are we all so confident that this is actually going to happen? Burj Khalifa was, itself a product of a massive financial boom which collapsed pretty much as soon as the tower was topped out, and now, if I recall correctly, they're having trouble finding tenants to fill it. And I know that Saudi Arabia has lots of oil wealth, but it's GDP per capita remains fairly low, and wealth distribution is fairly uneven. And even granted that Saudi Arabia has a decent native population growth rate, I never think of it as a big tourist draw.

Granted, the Burj Khalifa was an additional supertall taller than the building that preceded it as tallest in the world, but we're talking about a building thats at least a kilometer high! This in a city that's expecting probably a dozen other supertall projects to go through? I'd be amazed to see all of those other proposals completed; I'd be absolutely stunned to see this one built.

I hate to be a doubts-and-aspertions caster, but 1km high? So soon?
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #2644
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

wow i can't believe people are arguing over well 'nothing'. some thing that's really not important.
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:14 AM   #2645
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I know that Saudi Arabia is very short of buildings right now, but why are we all so confident that this is actually going to happen? Burj Khalifa was, itself a product of a massive financial boom which collapsed pretty much as soon as the tower was topped out, and now, if I recall correctly, they're having trouble finding tenants to fill it. And I know that Saudi Arabia has lots of oil wealth, but it's GDP per capita remains fairly low, and wealth distribution is fairly uneven. And even granted that Saudi Arabia has a decent native population growth rate, I never think of it as a big tourist draw.

Granted, the Burj Khalifa was an additional supertall taller than the building that preceded it as tallest in the world, but we're talking about a building thats at least a kilometer high! This in a city that's expecting probably a dozen other supertall projects to go through? I'd be amazed to see all of those other proposals completed; I'd be absolutely stunned to see this one built.

+1
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #2646
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

The BK thread went through the same thing ...
- The haters
- The doubters
- The questioners
- The nitpickers

Those of us in the skyscraper lover category don't really care if you ;
- don't like the design or location
- don't think it will be built
- don't think there is a need
- think it should be XXX meters high

Ray.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #2647
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Hey Fay, I think Adrian was simply explaining in the interview to the general public (who, admittantly aren't exactly skyscraper-savy) that a rough visual perspective would mean a building twice as tall as Sears - not the literal interpretation of 2x either 442 or 525 meter heights (to roof or radio antennas respectively). I'd think the average person would not have an idea of how tall 1,000 meters is, but describe it as twice as tall as Sears and you're roundaboutly there.

Secondly, THANKS STR and others . Have a large monitor here and can confirm, albeit blurrily, that the top does read +1,007m. The damper floors end in the mid-170s, which would seem to suggest mechanical areas and the public (or rentable) floors ending probably right below that.

The real question is though, Burj Khalifa was extended several times throughout development. Do you think AS+GG's drawings and so forth could see any revisions? I mean, gosh, 1 freakin' KM is outstanding, but I wonder if that number is indeed the final height.

Oh well, even if Saudi / Kingdom Holdings, etc. repeatedly deny it, it'll still be a great fun time to watch it rise and see what - if anything - is deviated from.

Structurally, it appears the point ends at ~250 "Floors".

The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #2648
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Hi Link.

IIRC, BK was never extended anywhere except for it's top, which was given more tiers and it's spire was extended. I don't think after they start this that they'd be able to raise it any higher because it slopes to it's pinnacle, so there's no way to add more height without it looking displeasing.
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #2649
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

Quote:
prince al-waleed himself said that it will be MORE THAN 1000m . Then, how would it be 442*2 (LESS THAN 1000m) while the architect said that it will be as twice the height of sears tower. So, the question now is .. What is the EXACT height of sears tower (not the roof) ??? [remember it must be > 500m]

I've got it 527m from wikipedia :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_Tower

Sorry, maybe you two thought I was meaning the roof !!

I think everyone have got my idea after this ..
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #2650
Los Earth

Likes (Received): 160

Burj Dubai VS Kingdom Tower
I'd pick Burj Dubai
Los Earth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #2651
Tom in Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

I should have posted something here too so sorry for the late news. . .

. . .

Tom in Chicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #2652
Tom in Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
. . . but why are we all so confident that this is actually going to happen?
The folks at AS+GG told me that the Saudi's were hoping to break ground (I assume ceremoniously at least) on 01/01/12. . . whether they finish the building after that is anyone's guess but if I were a gambling man I'd put my money on their side. . .

. . .
Old October 21st, 2011, 10:50 AM   #2653
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2033

Quote:
I know that Saudi Arabia is very short of buildings right now,but why are we all so confident that this is actually going to happen? Burj Khalifa was, itself a product of a massive financial boom which collapsed pretty much as soon as the tower was topped out, and now, if I recall correctly, they're having trouble finding tenants to fill it. And I know that Saudi Arabia has lots of oil wealth, but it's GDP per capita remains fairly low, and wealth distribution is fairly uneven. And even granted that Saudi Arabia has a decent native population growth rate, I never think of it as a big tourist draw.

Saudi Arabia has the second tallest now !! and remember that United Arab Emirates has the tallest .In addition, this tower will be the tallest .. didn't you recognize yet that this region is a better challenger in tall buildings than US and Europe ?

Last edited by fayzoon; October 21st, 2011 at 10:59 AM.
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 11:42 AM   #2654
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
Saudi Arabia has the second tallest now !! and remember that United Arab Emirates has the tallest .In addition, this tower will be the tallest .. didn't you recognize yet that this region is a better challenger in tall buildings than US and Europe ?
lol europe
Old October 21st, 2011, 01:01 PM   #2655
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

well, without us architects and European engineers none of the Arabs megatalls would be possible
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 01:13 PM   #2656
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
well, without us architects and European engineers none of the Arabs megatalls would be possible
that's true, but europe still doesnt build many supertalls and that's pretty sad
Old October 21st, 2011, 01:33 PM   #2657
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Theres two reasons behind it. First we in Europe can't hire labor with extremely low salary like Arabs do with Pakistanis. Hence Constructing similar towers here is several times more expensive than in Arabic countries. Second, this things are simply unprofitable. Its much less expensive to build several 200m towers than one three, or four times the height. Theirs only porpoise is to bring worlds attention to the place they are located in. European cities don't need any more attention so they don't need to build anymore higher.

Anyways I think we here at ssc as skyscraperlovers exaggerate the economic reasons behind building tall. The Japanese cities like Tokyo or Osaka are the best example. They have extreme density of buildings they still don't go taller than 300m.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 04:05 PM   #2658
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

i live in germany i know why we don't build skyscrapers, but that doesn't mean i won't wish we would

Old October 21st, 2011, 11:26 PM   #2659
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Theres two reasons behind it. First we in Europe can't hire labor with extremely low salary like Arabs do with Pakistanis. Hence Constructing similar towers here is several times more expensive than in Arabic countries. Second, this things are simply unprofitable. Its much less expensive to build several 200m towers than one three, or four times the height. Theirs only porpoise is to bring worlds attention to the place they are located in. European cities don't need any more attention so they don't need to build anymore higher.

Anyways I think we here at ssc as skyscraperlovers exaggerate the economic reasons behind building tall. The Japanese cities like Tokyo or Osaka are the best example. They have extreme density of buildings they still don't go taller than 300m.
In regards to Japan air traffic factor also comes into play which prohibits construction higher than certain height. I agree on the profit part, there is no point in building towers higher than 300m, maybe in the future when all of land area is populated/urbanized we will have Coruscant type cities but for now it's only logical to build as high as 50-70 storeys due to economical reasons. Expenses start to skyrocket from there if you want to build higher. On the other hand I think buildings like Sears, ESB, ICC have been built for both prestige and economical reasons and they have paid off many times since then.

krkseg1ops está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 12:08 AM   #2660
AnthonievanVliet

Likes (Received): 8

Construction start more important than exact height!

I think the fact there is now a date set for groundbreaking is of far greater importance than the actual height, bottom line is the fact that the magic 1KM will be breached and that's an achievement equal to the Apollo mission! I have high hopes now heavy machinery will appear at the site very soon, and when construction starts it will be great fun to see the tower rising! My vacation in Jeddah will be booked no later than 2017! Saudi Arabia is a great country and the human family one big team!

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest