daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #261
TowerJunkie

Likes (Received): 127

A building this tall is technically feasable as of now. Not to mention the price tag or the time it would take to complete. It seems to me Arabs are inspiring visionaries as well as very serious builders. It just might happen.

NijmegenCity liked this post
TowerJunkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #262
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystyle View Post
ESB was made of steel, Burj is a near solid concrete mass. You cant compare the two.
? ? This is partly what I said, we've changed technology and gone backwards. Yes, ESB is made of steel and blocks of stone (are any of the new buildings even considering stone? NO). All over changes and techniques and we've gone backwards as far as build time goes, so what did we gain by changing technology?

Also in general it seems like overseas buildings (especially in Dubai, etc.) go up much faster than buildings in the United States. I'm sure OSHA, unions, politicians, etc. are major factors in the time it takes to construct a building in the United States.

Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #263
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

Actually the reason large scale construction projects take so long to get started in the States. Is because there is always so much opposition from people living in the area.
It's always; Not in my Backyard!!!
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #264
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Buildings dont go up as fast in America because City Councils decide wether a sky scrapper is going to be an eye sore or not on the cites sky line, which is why you would never see crap like this of that sore erection in Dubai be built in the states. Also most of Americas Major cities have to deal with FAA Regulations on how high towers can be built. American Cities care about need and looks not records. Right now it looks like America doesn't need a crap shoot like this.

Dallasbrink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #265
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

So you are saying that the vanilla boxes in US city skylines are the definition of taste and good look?

And who with a sane mind will think that only USA has height restrictions or regulations and in other cities/countries supertalls just pop-up randomly without any studies done.

Speaking of Dubai: Airport restrictions have shifted the location of the next World tallest, has cancelled a 600 - 700 meters planned tower, and have reduced the height by more then one third to at least 2 already announced architectural masterpieces.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #266
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Thing is, the US would probably stop a project like burj dubai going through, but a project like "the universe" would also be stopped.

malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #267
Msradell
Always looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasbrink View Post
Buildings dont go up as fast in America because City Councils decide wether a sky scrapper is going to be an eye sore or not on the cites sky line, which is why you would never see crap like this of that sore erection in Dubai be built in the states.
? ? Actually the general opinion is that many of the building in Dubai are cutting edge architecture, not eyesores. They also do a lot more cutting edge construction technology than we do. We don't build islands to put buildings on, nor do we consistently break records for concrete pumping etc. All we do it sticks spires on top of buildings to make everyone think they're tall (freedom tower for example which is almost 1/3 spire). About the only cutting edge building being built in the United States right now is the Chicago Spire which will set records for concrete pumping and for elevator length!

Old January 27th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #268
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

That's the thing. Dubai gets some cutting edge stuff but also the opposite end of things like the big ben replica, "the universe" and so on.

Old January 27th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #269
sam-whit-kid
'what are digits?'

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
We don't build islands to put buildings on, nor do we consistently break records for concrete pumping etc.
would you want the us to be recognised for pumping the mot concrete? the us is already known as one of the biggest polluters so im not sure mass concrete pumping will look very good

sam-whit-kid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #270
Spandex

Likes (Received): 1

But with a city like Dubai, having hundreds, even thousands of PRO-PREP-U/C-T/O towers on its schedule it would be impossible NOT to have some crap there in between....just look at other cities, who have maybe 10 x 250m+ buildings (and they are few), are you telling me that all of them are masterpieces?? no! and if only one one of them is a complete crap that would translate into maybe 100 towers in dubai being shitty. Dubai is simply building every aspect of our architectural modern day culture times 10, so we should, as scraper fans, be very thankful for witnessing such a construction mania, at such a pace, in such a condensed aeria.

haleluja

Last edited by Spandex; February 14th, 2008 at 03:18 AM. Reason: typos and typos
Spandex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:23 AM   #271
Gattberserk
Smith

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
About the only cutting edge building being built in the United States right now is the Chicago Spire which will set records for concrete pumping and for elevator length!

Agree with this... CS is the only way that show that American didnt play cheat... Although its not the world tallest building, but at least we are impressed by the full structural height and not spire height u see...

Kingdom Tower of Jeddah

Gattberserk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #272
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

it comes to a point where so many beautiful towers saturate the market, and its like being in a room filled with super models. It gets old and boring rather quickly. I love the designs in Dubai, I just feel that they are reacting to quickly to a population boom that may or may not be coming.

Dallasbrink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #273
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2856

Quote:
? ? This is partly what I said, we've changed technology and gone backwards. Yes, ESB is made of steel and blocks of stone (are any of the new buildings even considering stone? NO). All over changes and techniques and we've gone backwards as far as build time goes, so what did we gain by changing technology?

Yes stone is the way of the future, the egyptions had the right idea with that, we're all so naive using this ridiculous substance concrete, i mean ok it's considerably stronger in compression than stone, considerably easier to build with, easy to reinforce with steel, cheap, massively available, new mixes and materials make it even stronger, why would we use such a useless material???

Last edited by nezzybaby; February 14th, 2008 at 03:06 PM.
nezzybaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #274
Msradell
Always looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby View Post
Yes stone is the way of the future, the egyptions had the right idea with that, we're all so naive using this ridiculous substance concrete, i mean ok it's considerably stronger in compression than stone, considerably easier to build with, easy to reinforce with concrete, cheap, massively available, new mixes and materials make it even stronger, why would we use such a useless material???
Concrete stronger than stone in compression? Okay maybe true for sandstone, shale etc. but not true for granite. Besides if you read my post you'll see that I was just stating that with all our new technology build times have gone backwards. I wasn't making a statement on economics etc.

Old February 14th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #275
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2856

^yeah and a computer takes longer to build than an abacus, doesnt make it in any way inferior at all.

nezzybaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #276
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Thread reopened since there is an article. I thought this was dead because of the airport

Old February 24th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #277
Príncipe
um príncipe de araque

Likes (Received): 851

Saudi plans tallest tower

DUBAI: Kingdom Holding Company, controlled by Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, plans to invite bids before July for contracts to build the world's tallest tower in Saudi Arabia.

The Mile High tower, which could reach 1,600m in height, is to be built in Jeddah and may cost up to $10 billion (BD3.78bn), London-based Middle East Economic Digest said in its latest issue, citing a source close to the project.

Dubai's Emaar Properties is currently building the Burj Dubai, which it says will be the world's tallest building.

The Mile High tower could be twice as tall as the Burj Dubai, the report said.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story...&IssueID=30341

Príncipe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #278
decks67
decks67

Likes (Received): 6

i really dont think they will build this tower, its a bit ahead of its time

decks67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #279
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

yes, maybe it seems to be a bit too early to build 1600m tall but since it is possible to build...why not
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #280
bizzybonita
ĐЯ ฿฿ שίŧђ Ħīĝђ קΘฬξЯ

Likes (Received): 55

they can build it but the time is unknown...

bizzybonita no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest