daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #3181
KingdomTower

Likes (Received): 39

Thanks mod
they moved it to (prep)
KingdomTower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #3182
Naif Saudi

Likes (Received): 7380

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Thanks for providing evidence through pictures.

I changed the thread title to PREP for preparation works. It thus remains in this section.

Thank you dear

أرجو الأطلاع على قوانين المنتدى والألتزام بها

︷︸
Naif Saudi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #3183
dc88

Likes (Received): 249

they hired a US firm to build this? what about BK?
dc88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #3184
archikind

Likes (Received): 1

Wow congratulations everyone !!

May this tower be built and built in a way which will inspire our future generations to go higher !! To reach for skies !! To reach for that illusive "Heaven" !!

The Future Architect

Last edited by archikind; January 12th, 2012 at 08:42 AM. Reason: to make it bold
archikind no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 05:21 AM   #3185
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc88 View Post
they hired a US firm to build this? what about BK?
No they didn't? The Bin Laden group is building this? The architects however are the same as the burj's......

Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #3186
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2042

the other thread is already in the U/C stage !!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...500019&page=64
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #3187
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2042

commooooon !! we need some pics ,please guys !!
Old January 12th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #3188
reecebowker

Likes (Received): 35

yeah i am waiting for more pics. I want this to go to construction already
reecebowker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #3189
castletower

Likes (Received): 1491

I am currently translating that article from Al Sharq together with an Arab friend, and I saw Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal mentioning 3,500,000 square meters of real estate for the Kingdom City.

That is considerably less than the 5,200,000 sq meters it was announced earlier.

While this is not pertaining directly to the KT, but it does indirectly.
castletower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #3190
juangch5

Likes (Received): 37

But 350 Hectares is still a lot of ground my friend...

I can't wait to see this building complete.
juangch5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #3191
castletower

Likes (Received): 1491

Quote:
Originally Posted by juangch5 View Post
But 350 Hectares is still a lot of ground my friend...
I agree it is a lot! And as I read more and more info about the Kingdom Tower, I get to see that it is a serious project that indeed will be completed.

Anyway, the translated interview is below:

Quote:
Why is the tower being built now? And why is it built in Jeddah?
The time is appropriate to build the Kingdom Tower now because the prices for construction materials are low. From cement to iron, everything is low.
Secondly, it is being built in Jeddah, because this city is in need for a project of this kind, as it would attract more business here. Nothing of this size happened in Jeddah for over two decades.
Currently, there are a few facilities near Jeddah like the «King Abdullah Economic City» (KAEC) in Rabigh, and »King Abdullah University of Science and Technology» (KAUST) in Thuwal, but these projects are not located in the same city, while the Kingdom Tower will be the commercial center of the new north of Jeddah.
Is the tower part of a larger project?
Yes, the tower will be built as part of a larger real estate of 3,500,000 square meters. The Kingdom Tower will be a milestone in this project, because it will boost the value of the rest of the property.
Why is it important to be the tallest in the world?
It is not important to be the tallest in the world. But reaching the height of 1,000 meters for a tower is not a small achievement. The current tallest building in the world is the Burj Khalifa in Dubai with a height of 823 meters, and we want to be higher than that by 200 meters, but we won’t announce the final height before the last year of construction.
Wasn’t the building supposed to be a Mile-High Tower, meaning 1,600 meters?
No, we never had that idea in our mind. We always said we want to build a tower over 1,000 meters tall, but some of the media misinterpreted that number and labeled the project as a mile-high tower. But we did not think about a 1,600 m tower for any moment.
Saudi Arabia is a big country which allows building horizontally. Why did you choose to adopt building vertically?
It is true that Saudi Arabia is a big country, but there are only a few major cities: Riyadh, Jeddah, Dammam and Khobar. It is possible to build horizontally, but high-rise buildings are landmarks and attractions for people, companies and institutions.
You’ve signed a contract with a contractor recently, right?
Yes, at the start we had offers from 10 companies, and in the second phase, we reduced the number of companies to one - the Bin Ladin Group – which began work on the 1st of January 2012. It is also important to notice that the contractor has become our partner in the project.
Have you signed a contract and what is the total amount of it?
Yes, we agreed on a lump sum of 4,6 billion SAR.
But to allow the contractor to be a partner means that you can’t contract penalty clauses related to the delay.
Actually, we have two different relationships with two different units of the Bin Ladin Group. The contractor is the «Bin Ladin Group for Contracting», while the other investor is the «Bin Ladin Group».
While we do not expect any delay in the project, if it happens we will implement penalties stipulated in the contract, and I am ready to do so, even if my son is a member of the building project.
Besides the Binladin Group, you have two other partners in the project: Abrar International Holding Co. and Mr. Abdulrahman Hassan Sharbatly. How were they chosen?
Above all, the land belongs to them for decades. We decided to build our project there for two reasons; first, because the place is close to the heart of the city and secondly because the price of the land is relatively good there, as for us, it is important that the ROI is high. Our project and feasibility study led them to enter into partnership with us.
When do you expect you to start harvesting the proceeds of your investment?

We expect a return of our investment over a period of 10 years. But that period will be longer for the entire project.

Is it true that the cost of the Kingdom Tower will be $ 270,000,000 less than the cost of building the «Burj Khalifa», although it will be taller by about 200 meters?
Yes, the average cost per square meter is cheaper than in the «Burj Khalifa«. Why? Because the learning curve to build such a tall tower was done in the neighboring emirate of Dubai. This is important because it is not possible to apply the rules of towers built in Asia, here for instance.
We hired the same designers that designed the Burj Khalifa. We will benefit from their experience in Dubai, as we will adopt all the positives that they have and will rethink of the negative aspects of their first project.
Speaking of architects, Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill from Chicago, did you choose them because they designed «Burj Khalifa»?
This played a role, but the main reason for selecting them is that they have designed a high viability of a project at this scale. This means that the implementation of the new project will be less expensive. There was also another gorgeous designs but the higher cost of construction by about 50%, meant that the internal rate of ROI would be less.
It must be pointed out that the Burj Khalifa is still facing difficulty in finding tenants. How will you address the issue of occupancy with the «Kingdom Tower»?
First, let’s make it clear, from the perspective of an investment «Burj Khalifa» sold out, and the developers got their money. It is the new owners who are not able to find tenants. The hotel there does very wel.

The problem is that Dubai faced a crisis of its own excess, add to that the crisis that hit the global banking sector in 2008, and add a new economic crisis faced by many countries around the world such as Greece, Italy and others. All these factors weighed heavily on the shoulders of the real estate market in Dubai.
Yes, we are aware of their problems, but we have different view. We have no danger of a surplus. What we expect is to deliver a project of great demand in Saudi Arabia, and on the international level. In the end, with due respect for Dubai and Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Bahrain and Kuwait, but they are all city-states, their population ranged between one and three million people. Saudi Arabia is like a huge sea compared to them that has twenty million people, in addition to seven million expats, that is more than the rest of the population of the Gulf region. Saudi Arabia is the center of power, economy and knowledge in the region, so it does not even compare to Dubai.

What is the political dimension of building such a tower in Saudi Arabia?
First of all, we carry out this project because the return of investment is excellent; we are businessmen in the end. But such a project in Saudi Arabia, in the commercial center of the second-largest city in the country, is certainly a national project. At the global level, we believe it will foster Saudi Arabia's major presence in the international arena.
Source: http://kingdomtowerskyscraper.com/In...bin-Talal.html

I have to say that I asked an Arab student friend of mine to help with the translation but it is not a literal translation.

Regarding what Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal said, I think he is very serious about this one, and given the prior experience of the team with the BK, I can see this project completed (almost) in time.

But we'll have to wait and see that.
castletower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #3192
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1153

Thanks for the translation
He said they never thought of building mile-high tower yet some time ago it was said the initial soil testing had failed and thus delayed the whole project. Was that not for a mile tower?
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #3193
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

How can even soil testing fail ? It was just a rumor or at most wrong chose of words. I think they might just found out that the soil condition there is tougher than expected and thats probably the reason why they preparing soil grouting now.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #3194
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

well i remember a few months ago that they were soiltesting and then there were news that the whole thing was on hold for a few months and we heard not much at all about it.

Last edited by KillerZavatar; January 13th, 2012 at 12:28 AM.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #3195
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

But I doubt it was due to the fact that they failed with mile high tower plan (if that even was ever serious), more likely designing stage or problems with money.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #3196
reecebowker

Likes (Received): 35

we need pictures !
reecebowker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #3197
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecebowker View Post
we need pictures !
and you'll get pics...but learn to wait
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #3198
LittleDreamer

Likes (Received): 1

Hello, could anyone show where Kingtom Tower will be on a map? Thanks
LittleDreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #3199
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDreamer View Post
Hello, could anyone show where Kingtom Tower will be on a map? Thanks
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/maps/?cityID=751

there you go
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #3200
SSCBob

Likes (Received): 2

Seriously guys, lets find a way to get the Prince to put up live construction webcams like NY did for 1WTC...
SSCBob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest