daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #3721
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
They will do it just like they do every other tall building! The cranes will rise with the building. That's one of the simplest things about building a building like this.
Correct. Although cranes at those heights will look impressive thats probably not much more challenging than cranes used at burj khaliffa. What's definitely more challenging is for instance pumping concrete to those heights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
Whats annoying is people constantly asking for pics of the site There is nothing to take a picture of.....yet.
Yes there is. Like on THIS picture taken outside the fence. Even if thats far away from the towers location pictures from that spot could help determine if they moved from testing to foundation (since then we would see more drilling rigs probably), or to slab since it will be constructed above the ground level so it would be definitively visible. And don't be surprised that people ask for pictures for the tallest tower in the world that hasn't been updated for months. If jeddah forumers uses ssc to watch foreign projects and watch pics taken be people taking no money for theirs job they are obligated to contribute somehow to the board themselves. And hey even one update per month would be perfectly enough. Is that asking for too much?
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by patrykus; May 5th, 2012 at 10:29 AM.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #3722
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
No!! Why would they?
The tower is only going to be 1007 meters (1 kilometer-ish) or so tall so thats only 3300 ft. A mile is 5,280ft, approx. 600 meters taller then this tower will be.

Maybe one day we will see the "mile high" tower built but not this time.
I didn't know they decided on an official height

iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #3723
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
I didn't know they decided on an official height

They haven't!!!

Nobody will know the "official" height for about 4-5 years and that includes "they". I simply used the thread title (and even threw in "ish")which is about as official as we can get for now. I can guarantee you that it will not be 1 mile as you stated in your earlier, embarrissing post

Thanks for the come-back though

4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #3724
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

I'm more than happy with whatever they choose since it is likely an observation platform is on one of the highest floors . There's quite a bit of leeway between 1,007 meters (shown in AS+GG drawings) and 1,608 meters (roughly a mile). 1,200+ meters would be pretty cool though, haha.

The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #3725
comet the cat
Too tall is not an option

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Link View Post
I'm more than happy with whatever they choose since it is likely an observation platform is on one of the highest floors . There's quite a bit of leeway between 1,007 meters (shown in AS+GG drawings) and 1,608 meters (roughly a mile). 1,200+ meters would be pretty cool though, haha.
ANything taller than 1100 meters would be awesome!

comet the cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:49 AM   #3726
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
They haven't!!!

Nobody will know the "official" height for about 4-5 years and that includes "they". I simply used the thread title (and even threw in "ish")which is about as official as we can get for now. I can guarantee you that it will not be 1 mile as you stated in your earlier, embarrissing post

Thanks for the come-back though
I was joking/exaggerating when I said that, but it appears you thought i was serious, so go ahead and have a laugh!

iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #3727
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2033

photos are truly needed by now !!!!!

fayzoon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #3728
Senju
minami.senju on STEAM

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post
photos are truly needed by now !!!!!
How many people on this thread do you think live in Saudi A. and close by to the construction site? My guess is most pix will be from new feeds.......
In that case, could you look around the internet and update us?

Senju no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #3729
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senju View Post
How many people on this thread do you think live in Saudi A. and close by to the construction site? My guess is most pix will be from new feeds.......
In that case, could you look around the internet and update us?
there is one user here that lives in the city, but he said himself that the construction side is mostly closed, no way to get much nearer. :/

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #3730
patrykus

There are more users from jeddah than Naif. But it's too far for them to drive once a month to the side. And the side is huge they can't have guards all around it. It was always huge problem with updates from soudi arabia, and especially from jeddah. Strange considering saudi is one amongst the richest in the Arabian peninsula. Others (dubai, abu dhabi, kuwait) makes hell lot better job in supporting their projects at ssc that I sometimes wish it should have been build in different country, so we could at least follow the construction by pictures. Even arabs not living in the area could help. I have found many times pictures on arabian sites. But it's really hard for me as I don't know a single word in the language. I suppose I could have missed some forum, source, site. Comon arabs! don't be lazy ass bastards
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Last edited by patrykus; May 10th, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #3731
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

on the other hand i think we will eventually get regular updates once the core is rising

Old May 10th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #3732
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
There are more users from jeddah than Naif. But it's too far for them to drive once a month to the side. And the side is huge they can't have guards all around it. It was always huge problem with updates from soudi arabia, and especially from jeddah. Strange considering saudi is one amongst the richest in the Arabian peninsula. Others (dubai, abu dhabi, kuwait) makes hell lot better job in supporting their projects at ssc that I sometimes wish it should have been build in different country, so we could at least follow the construction by pictures. Even arabs not living in the area could help. I have found many times pictures on arabian sites. But it's really hard for me as I don't know a single word in the language. I suppose I could have missed some forum, source, site. Comon arabs! don't be lazy ass bastards
We in Dubai were not able to get any update on Burj Dubai (as it was called back then) until the foundations were completed and the tower started rising, and the site was mid-town as to speak.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #3733
patrykus

That might be due to the fact that digital cameras weren't yet that popular in 2004. Remember Nakheel Tower and the great job Imre did for it? He started updating it actually before they even started the construction I think the uae projects might also be more updated because there is more westerners leaving there. I think there is much more updates from people that immigrate there than from native habitants. They don't care, or are to lazy... I don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
on the other hand i think we will eventually get regular updates once the core is rising
I'm pretty sure of that. Flickr will be full of pictures coming from the people usually not interested in skyscrapers and possibly not even been aware of ssc existence But imo foundation construction should be also documented as it is one of the more interesting construction phases. What's more, it can't be compared to burj khalifa as the slab should be well visible above ground so it can be easily photographed.

But anyways what's the point in this discussion. It seems we will miss the foundation construction anyway because of poor excuses

Last edited by patrykus; May 10th, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old May 10th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #3734
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
I think there is much more updates from people that immigrate there than from native habitants. They don't care, or are to lazy... I don't know...
or maybe they just don't speak english well and don't want to post in an english language forum.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure of that. Flickr will be full of pictures coming from the people usually not interested in skyscrapers and possibly not even been aware of ssc existence But imo foundation construction should be also documented as it is one of the more interesting construction phases. What's more, it can't be compared to burj khalifa as the slab should be well visible above ground so it can be easily photographed.

But anyways what's the point in this discussion. It seems we will miss the foundation construction anyway because of poor excuses
i do not care too much about seeing the early stages, if tomorrow a user posts a picture of the core rising i don't care that we missed the early phases xD. aslong the project is going on and not on hold i don't need to see an update that often, although i would of course like to.

Old May 10th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #3735
patrykus

Quote:
or maybe they just don't speak english well and don't want to post in an english language forum.
Then someone should search these forums and repost here. Chinese threads are well updated even though almost all of the stuff is reposted from chinese sites.

Quote:
i do not care too much about seeing the early stages, if tomorrow a user posts a picture of the core rising i don't care that we missed the early phases xD. aslong the project is going on and not on hold i don't need to see an update that often, although i would of course like to.
Well, I care. I'm sure many other's do as well.

And to make things clear. One update per month is not often. It's acceptable.

Anyways lets be serious. Imagine living in jeddah being big fan of skyscrapers as you are. Wouldn't you go to the site once a month even if it was 50km away from you if nobody else would? There is really no excuse for that.

Old May 10th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #3736
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57841

The documentation status on this is ridiculous indeed...

Seriously, we aren't talking about some 50m-munder, but the new tallest in the world!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #3737
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
That might be due to the fact that digital cameras weren't yet that popular in 2004. Remember Nakheel Tower and the great job Imre did for it? He started updating it actually before they even started the construction
NOPE!

Other projects were very well updated back then. The problem was that the site was huge (when I say huge I really mean huge, like many hundreds of meters on each direction) and all boarded up and access was denied. The towers on SZR are residential and hotels with not many publicly accessed spots.

It took the opening of the Chelsea Tower and access to the tower's roof being left open for a while, that allowed us in May - June 2005 to have a spot with a clear view of the site and to get some updates (until the suckers locked the roof door after catching me and another guy comming down from the roof ).

The case of Nakheel Tower was totally different. The boarded up site was much smaller, there was no digging and the board was just a net actually, and the nearby JLT towers provided an elevated platform over the site. Actually you could see the progress just by driving by on SZR.
I can cheat you blind.

Old May 11th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #3738
patrykus

So you see yourself, when the site provides the access projects are well updated in uae. Not the case in jeddah though. There will be NO HOLE on the kingdom tower site, hence everything can be spotted even from far street level location. If there are guards on the gate you can take pics above the fence from any other location.

Old May 11th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #3739
AltinD
The Modecator

You can't take pictures over the fence, the fences are more then 2 meters tall and the boarded site of this tower is also huge, much bigger then the space to be occupied by the tower itself (as it was the case with Burj Dubai as well). Plus it is on a deserted area I recall, not easy and convinient to aproach.
I can cheat you blind.

Old May 11th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #3740
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
You can't take pictures over the fence, the fences are more then 2 meters tall and the boarded site of this tower is also huge, much bigger then the space to be occupied by the tower itself (as it was the case with Burj Dubai as well). Plus it is on a deserted area I recall, not easy and convinient to aproach.
Thank you very much. Now I know we live in the world of miracles. To bad they don't happen more often

Last edited by patrykus; May 11th, 2012 at 02:33 PM.

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest