daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #361
womfalcs3

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
Thats my point, Saudi Arabia? One of the most hostile regions, with the harshest laws. I am sorry, I see this as a vision. The tower is possible to build, but i doubt the whole complex will, they can build it, but I don't think people will find this particular region attractive, especially with all the bad news coming out of there.
They already do. Foreign investment is increasing significantly annually. No taxes and other great incentives are major draws for non-Saudi investment.
womfalcs3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2008, 05:39 AM   #362
leetroy

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
I meant for people coming from outside (other countries).Not local people. In Dubai that is possible since thankfully there are no bombings, no violence and no negative media coverage. Which makes it 1000 times more attractive than Saudi Arabia. And only because I don't know your country well enough other than harsh laws and media covering terrorist attacks there, doesnt make me uneducated. Just stating the facts. I see this as the glass half empty, you see it as half full. Simple as that. Nobody will GO there to live from outside countries. People are skeptical, I like to be an optimist, but now i am a realist! That project is a big waste of money, if it was the tower... Go ahead build it, but a whole complex is just too much, good luck finding people to fill these buildings in Saudi Arabia. Just doesnt sound too appealing to me, but again its just me.

actually what you have just said is wrong things there are getting better in a very fast way millions of foreigners go to Saudi know for employment specially from countries like America and Canada not just for oil but for many other things

NijmegenCity liked this post
leetroy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #363
leetroy

Likes (Received): 26

some of you guys are so stupid to believe on what the American media has to say about one of the richest countries in the world that is Islamic

and by the way security in the kingdom is one of the best in the world and its considered one of the safest countries in the world with really low crime rate considering its big and fast growing pollution

don't alwys believe what you see on tv and don't judge a country till you been in it

leetroy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 06:08 AM   #364
gohorns

Likes (Received): 25

Why is this turning into an anti-saudi and pro-saudi discussion? Shouldn't we be talking about the actual development and not the politics of the region.

Guest89 - Don't worry about filling those towers, the saudi population is growing pretty rapidly and there are a lot of people from around the world that live there. Feel free to go to dubai if you like. Maybe after sitting in the traffic there for hours and paying unreasonable prices for a place to live you will change your mind. Maybe it won't...who knows. Dubai is great for some but it isn't for everyone. Not every one likes that sort of a lifestyle...so just think of this as an alternative..

gohorns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 06:17 AM   #365
Saudi guy

Likes (Received): 4156

Old October 13th, 2008, 06:22 AM   #366
gohorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyckske Ruben View Post
Is it not Kingdom Tower...?
good catch

Old October 13th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #367
gohorns

Awesome video SG! I think a lot of companies/firms will move their offices to that tower....since some companies/firms like to have their offices in the most famous/prestigious buildings in an area...it's an image issue..

Old October 13th, 2008, 06:40 AM   #368
cmjohns6

Likes (Received): 7

is it kindom tower or kingdom tower?

cmjohns6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #369
patchay

Likes (Received): 1521

Saudi prince to build world's tallest building
The Associated Press Published: October 12, 2008
Also reported in International Herald Tribune, AOL, Telegraph UK, Times UK, Japan Post, TheStar Malaysia, JPost etc..

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia: Saudi Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal says he will build the world's tallest building in the Saudi city of Jeddah.

Sunday's statement by his firm, Kingdom Holding Company, says the building will be more than a kilometer (3,281 feet) high and will be part of a larger project that will cost 100 billion Saudi riyals (US$26.7 billion).

The project, called Kingdom City, will span 23 million square meters (248 million square feet) and will include luxury homes, hotels and offices.

Al-Waleed is a billionaire businessman and member of the royal family.

The booming city of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates has also said it will build a building over a kilometer high. -AP

PATCHAY | Website | Facebook | Flickr | Twitter | Instagram | Foursquare

patchay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #370
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdare View Post
you're gonna change your signature anyway, whether if its will be 1609m or 701
thats if it gets built

helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #371
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohns6 View Post
is it kindom tower or kingdom tower?
Kingdom Tower... title is wrong.

Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #372
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by andisart View Post
I counted the floors of the highest side tower, it's around 90 floors, so I guess 450- 500 meters. That makes the Kingdom Tower around 1000-1100 meters as a guess

Hmmm

You must realise that "the mile" is more backwords than the tower you counted. So... the lines that you set out on the tower (each every 90 floors) is not right.

My estimation is 250 floors.

Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #373
CoolSaudi

Likes (Received): 6

Saudi Prince Aims For The Sky
Kerry A. Dolan, 10.13.08, 12:52 AM ET

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia - The curtain has been lifted on Saudi Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal’s plans to build the world’s tallest building. Or at least some of the plans. The new tower will be taller than 3,280 feet--but the prince isn’t saying how much taller.

"I don’t want to say [the exact height] right now," said the prince at an event Saturday night .To do so would give other developers a specific height to surpass, he explained. Alwaleed is an international investor and one of the many nephews of the Saudi king. In March, Forbes estimated his personal fortune at $21 billion, making him the 19th richest man in the world.

Saudi Arabia’s King Abdullah gave his blessing to the planned tower and 13 other projects planned for the Jeddah region at the event, held in air-conditioned Bedouin-style tents the size of a football field. A model of the proposed Kingdom Tower and Kingdom City, the massive commercial and residential development that will surround it, was on display at the event.

Kingdom Tower alone is expected to cost some $1.3 billion to develop, said Talal Al-Maiman, an executive at Alwaleed’s Kingdom Holding Company. The Prince has two Saudi partners on the project; his company’s stake is just under 50%.

SOURCE: Forbes
For full article: http://www.forbes.com/billionaires/2...kyscraper.html

CoolSaudi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #374
AvanGard
HMS

It seems to have less volume than the Nakheel Tower. Moreover, it is a single core structure. I am curious what kind of materials are going to be use to build this tower. Can't be conventional like in the Burj Dubai. The core of this tower has to be mega strong to support all that weight. The four-core design of the NT gives more stability and really allows such a height to be achieved. Kingdom Tower looks a bit fragile, may be that is way is seems to have less volume otherwise they couldn't have made it so tall.

AvanGard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #375
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

If they really want to build this tower, i am 100% sure they will redesign it a few times.

germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #376
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohorns View Post
Guest89 - Don't worry about filling those towers, the saudi population is growing pretty rapidly and there are a lot of people from around the world that live there. Feel free to go to dubai if you like. Maybe after sitting in the traffic there for hours and paying unreasonable prices for a place to live you will change your mind. Maybe it won't...who knows. Dubai is great for some but it isn't for everyone. Not every one likes that sort of a lifestyle...so just think of this as an alternative..
I live in Dubai lol. Its not that bad. Actually if you ask any tourist where they would rather be, Dubai is the answer, I bet the majority has never heard of Jeddah. But hey, I respect the Saudis, just television will make people skeptical. I am taking Media Studies, Business and Politics so yeah of the question which is more appealing, I would say Dubai. Feel free to debate me in the debating section.

And in your estimation New York is not as good as Jeddah if you think traffic makes the worst of a city. New York has more traffic.

Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #377
kanye
WDNF-Mod | RIP desertpunk

Likes (Received): 8513

JEDDAH | Kindom Tower | >1000m | >3280ft | Pro

isn't it ?
JEDDAH | Kingdom Tower | >1000m | >3280ft | Pro
Old October 13th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #378
AceN
Expelled

Likes (Received): 3458

Wow, as the global crisis arises, are they really making this building

I can't believe the high...

AceN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #379
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5441

I think it reads better when it says 1000m+ rather than >1000m.

But obviously this will be WAY taller than 1000m, I mean, why would you reveal the height if you got Nakheel itching to trump you? There is a lot to be said for mystery. The 1000m figure is a low ball amount which I am sure is intended to lure Nakheel into designing in the 1000-1200m range, after which it will be revealed this tower is infact 1400m+.

It would suck to be a developer, build a 1.1km tall tower, and not even get the tallest building crown no?:P

Locke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #380
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

thanks Mr West

but I don't know if anyone mentioned before but:

'Architects privately told Arabian Business that the building would be 1,200 metres tall.'

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/53398...km-tower?ln=en

buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest