daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #3921
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

It's as I thought they simply wait for the final foundation design from Langan (www.langan.com) and as soon as they will get it foundation works begin.

This is what our respected jeddah insider Rody69 told me in one of the saudi threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rody69 View Post
as far as I was told, that everything is almost ready except some detailed plans is under reversion by Langan Int (the foundation planners) and they had to change some of the traffic plans for the whole project which was made by HOK Arch, plus he was talking about a new system for the storms and rain water disposal which I didn't really get .
the other thing is they are making the detailed road plans for the whole Kingdom City...

Here an article about the langan involvement:

Bethlehem engineering firm working on $1.2B Saudi tower

By Brian Pedersen May 21. 2012 8:00AM

A Bethlehemfirm has been hired to help build a 3,000-feet tall tower inSaudi Arabia.
Langan Engineering of Bethlehem is working on a proposal for Kingdom Tower, a skyscraping structure to be built in Saudi Arabia. The first phase of the Kingdom City project comprises the tower that will rise more than 3,000 feet, a 65,000-square-meter retail mall and an underground garage designed to park over 3,000 vehicles. Construction work on the $1.2 billion project is slated to begin this year.

Langan Engineering is working with Kingdom Holding Co. as the geotechnical engineer for the monstrous Kingdom Tower, a $1.2 billion structure that will rise above the oil-rich Middle Eastern nation.

The first phase of the project includes the tower, a nearly 700,000-square-foot retail mall, and an underground garage that can park more than 3,000 vehicles. Langan is also providing site and civil engineering, and transportation/parking engineering. Langan will earn $920,000. Construction on the tower, located in the city ofJeddah, will begin this year.

Michael Paquette, project engineer for Langan, said he is based out of theBethlehemoffice, but has found himself getting more involved with overseas projects.

"I traveled to the site and spent one month kicking off the field investigation," said Paquette, who work on the project in May of 2011. "I also studied the results and assisted in the foundation design. I'm actually involved in quite a few projects overseas."

Saudi Arabiahas similarities to theLehighValley.

"We're dealing with a very unique geology that's similar to a lot of the rocks we have in theLehighValley," said Paquette. "InSaudi Arabia, they also have limestone."

While the country has a different type of limestone, Paquette said he was able to take the knowledge he learned inBethlehemand apply it to theKingdomTowerproject. He also took into account elements of the country's environment and culture.

He said the civil engineering challenge for the tower site involved stormwater management. According to Langan, the stormwater management plan usedU.S.standards for water quality improvement prior to discharge.

For the traffic and parking planning portion, a major challenge involved incorporating a vehicular security screening station into the internal road network. Langan said it also consulted on the internal circulation of the parking structures.

"KingdomToweris actually the centerpiece of a town the Saudis would like to build," said Rosemarie Williams, business development manager for Langan. The tower will have offices, apartments and some restaurants.

"The overseas projects are definitely a growing piece of the business," said Williams.

Langan is also doing some U.S. Embassy engineering work inIndia, and previously did work inPanama, said Jason Engelhardt, senior associate at Langan.

The same corporate culture found inBethlehemis going into that Saudi project, Williams said.

In addition to the Saudi project, Williams said Langan is involved in numerous projects throughout the Lehigh Valley, including geotechnical work for the proposed hockey arena project in Downtown Allentown; geotechnical and natural resources work for the proposed Route 33 Chrin interchange in Palmer Township; and engineering work for the Bottom Dollar Food which recently opened off Stefko Boulevard in Bethlehem.

For the Bottom Dollar project, Langan helped transform a site that previously housed an abandoned industrial building, said Engelhardt

source:
www.lvb.com
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #3922
thedancingqueen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I like the kingdom tower because it's very tall and elegant!
thedancingqueen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #3923
cd7890

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedancingqueen View Post
I like the kingdom tower because it's very tall and elegant!
of course it is,it is one of the most beautiful hyper-talls ive ever seen
cd7890 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #3924
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 1951

^ well only one hyper tall exists, so...
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:54 AM   #3925
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOTHRILL
^ well only one hyper tall exists, so...
He probably meant designs from other proposed/visionary projects and not Completed Towers.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #3926
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8241

and the most realistic new tallest building we have in the stall.
KillerZavatar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 04:01 AM   #3927
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Jeddah is slowly becoming the new Dubai, but with classier and less tacky towers! Congrats.

(Diamond tower is an exception.)
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #3928
cd7890

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
He probably meant designs from other proposed/visionary projects and not Completed Towers.
that is exactly what i meant
cd7890 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #3929
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
Ah of course my mistake
Old July 14th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #3930
Darth Shemp
Armani

Likes (Received): 0

[IMG]http://i46.************/16m6o7.jpg[/IMG]
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #3931
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

langan will earn only 920 000 dollars for the construction of this beast ,this dont sound right ? why so cheap?
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #3932
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Have you read the article? Langan only help designing foundation.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #3933
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

sorry i miss understood
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #3934
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Jeddah is slowly becoming the new Dubai ...
Wait, what?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #3935
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
It's as I thought they simply wait for the final foundation design from Langan (www.langan.com) and as soon as they will get it foundation works begin.

This is what our respected jeddah insider Rody69 told me in one of the saudi threads:

A Bethlehemfirm has been hired to help build a 3,000-feet tall tower inSaudi Arabia.
Langan Engineering of Bethlehem is working on a proposal for Kingdom Tower, a skyscraping structure to be built in Saudi Arabia. The first phase of the Kingdom City project comprises the tower that will rise more than 3,000 feet, a 65,000-square-meter retail mall and an underground garage designed to park over 3,000 vehicles. Construction work on the $1.2 billion project is slated to begin this year.

Langan Engineering is working with Kingdom Holding Co. as the geotechnical engineer for the monstrous Kingdom Tower, a $1.2 billion structure that will rise above the oil-rich Middle Eastern nation.

The first phase of the project includes the tower, a nearly 700,000-square-foot retail mall, and an underground garage that can park more than 3,000 vehicles. Langan is also providing site and civil engineering, and transportation/parking engineering. Langan will earn $920,000. Construction on the tower, located in the city ofJeddah, will begin this year.

Michael Paquette, project engineer for Langan, said he is based out of theBethlehemoffice, but has found himself getting more involved with overseas projects.

"I traveled to the site and spent one month kicking off the field investigation," said Paquette, who work on the project in May of 2011. "I also studied the results and assisted in the foundation design. I'm actually involved in quite a few projects overseas."

Saudi Arabiahas similarities to theLehighValley.

"We're dealing with a very unique geology that's similar to a lot of the rocks we have in theLehighValley," said Paquette. "InSaudi Arabia, they also have limestone."

While the country has a different type of limestone, Paquette said he was able to take the knowledge he learned inBethlehemand apply it to theKingdomTowerproject. He also took into account elements of the country's environment and culture.

He said the civil engineering challenge for the tower site involved stormwater management. According to Langan, the stormwater management plan usedU.S.standards for water quality improvement prior to discharge.

For the traffic and parking planning portion, a major challenge involved incorporating a vehicular security screening station into the internal road network. Langan said it also consulted on the internal circulation of the parking structures.

"KingdomToweris actually the centerpiece of a town the Saudis would like to build," said Rosemarie Williams, business development manager for Langan. The tower will have offices, apartments and some restaurants.

"The overseas projects are definitely a growing piece of the business," said Williams.

Langan is also doing some U.S. Embassy engineering work inIndia, and previously did work inPanama, said Jason Engelhardt, senior associate at Langan.

The same corporate culture found inBethlehemis going into that Saudi project, Williams said.

In addition to the Saudi project, Williams said Langan is involved in numerous projects throughout the Lehigh Valley, including geotechnical work for the proposed hockey arena project in Downtown Allentown; geotechnical and natural resources work for the proposed Route 33 Chrin interchange in Palmer Township; and engineering work for the Bottom Dollar Food which recently opened off Stefko Boulevard in Bethlehem.

For the Bottom Dollar project, Langan helped transform a site that previously housed an abandoned industrial building, said Engelhardt

source: www.lvb.com
wow im impressed, i live in bethlehem..i thought i lived in the middle of no where
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 06:11 AM   #3936
missionshak

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post

source:
www.lvb.com
that is all we seem to hear with this project is that construction will start............
according to other posts in this thread and evidential photo's that claim construction has already started, yet again all we here from "official" sources is Construction work on the $1.2 billion project is slated to begin this year. then at the end of the year we will hear "construction will start this year......."
For mine this will never happen
missionshak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 08:22 AM   #3937
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2042

no no no no > > official is official
Old July 20th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #3938
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post
official is official
not always
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 08:55 AM   #3939
missionshak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post
no no no no > > official is official
official what? nothing is "official' until the actually start something!
missionshak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 01:08 PM   #3940
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8241

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionshak View Post
official what? nothing is "official' until the actually start something!
not even then, it is official when it is completed, we saw nakheel tower starting construction and never being above ground
KillerZavatar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest