daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:52 PM   #4161
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

can't remember i saw this before. great video .

but i guess it has been posted already.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:16 PM   #4162
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

yeah its old i remember it, best video i have seen of it so far though so it is worth bumping it

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #4163
Sooners4Life
Apex Predator

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
You don't know how wrong you are .

This month contracts for the foundation work have been signed! Work will start in December...so where's this a joke?
Work is ALWAYS supposed to start soon on this. It was supposed to start last January. And way before that. I find it hard to believe that a project of this magnitude has so little visual evidence it is about to be built. It's a kilometer-high skyscraper, and the construction site (if that's actually it) looks mostly empty, and pics of any real progress are extremely rare.

I'd love to see this thing built, because it would be an incredible project. But funding has a way of falling through on stuff like this, so I'll believe it when I see it.
Sooners4Life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #4164
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

It's really very simple, and I fail to understand how people cant get simple facts. So once again tell me would bauer a worlds renowned foundation contractor (constructor of burj khalifa's foundation) lie about signed contract for construction of kingdom tower foundation on their official website? Why would they do that? Here's the LINK if you already forgot/never read it. Why would they spend millions on geological survey, then another on designing the tower and finally on pile tests prepared this year? Why would they waste all that money if they didn't want to build this?
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #4165
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
It's really very simple, and I fail to understand how people cant get simple facts. So once again tell me would bauer a worlds renowned foundation contractor (constructor of burj khalifa's foundation) lie about signed contract for construction of kingdom tower foundation on their official website? Why would they do that? Here's the LINK if you already forgot/never read it. Why would they spend millions on geological survey, then another on designing the tower and finally on pile tests prepared this year? Why would they waste all that money if they didn't want to build this?

4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #4166
GerFok
Gerard F

Likes (Received): 44

Really good news always!! But still I need to agree with "sooners4life"! The moment that the crew for construction of bauer comes there and really starts piling the sh*t out of the foundation I will be cheering!!
But with the plan already beeing on the table for to many years (for oil countries) I still am a bit sceptic.

Still I would rather see this tower going up and beat the record than the oil tower in azerbeidzjan! This one is at least not a soviet relic but a contemporary structure!

GerFok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 02:28 AM   #4167
patrykus

It really doesn't matter where it is going to be build. Currently all tallest structures are being designed and engendered by americans. So there really can't be distinction between soviet, arabic or whatever because these nations are only paying for this buildings not "making" them.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old November 4th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #4168
Sooners4Life
Apex Predator

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Why would they spend millions on geological survey, then another on designing the tower and finally on pile tests prepared this year? Why would they waste all that money if they didn't want to build this?
I don't recall claiming they didn't WANT to build this. I know they WANT to build it. I'm just not convinced they're GOING to build it. Tons of projects are planned and never get started and/or topped out. It just doesn't look to me like anyone is about to build a kilometer high tower right now, and I don't believe this will be completed anytime in the next decade.

Like I said before, I hope I'm wrong. I'm not rooting against this project, I'm just skeptical.
Sooners4Life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 03:46 AM   #4169
RoofHeightMatters

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
It really doesn't matter where it is going to be build. Currently all tallest structures are being designed and engendered by americans. So there really can't be distinction between soviet, arabic or whatever because these nations are only paying for this buildings not "making" them.
That's a rather cynical attitude, even too cynical for me! Funding is the ONLY things that matters in skyscraper construction you know. The person or company that funds a skyscraper to completion is the one who built it, in every sense. The name an nationality of the starchitect that designed the building is pretty irrelevant.

The fact that Saudi oil money is behind this building is how I'm pretty sure it'll be built as planned. Anyone else behind it and I would be sure it would never be built.
RoofHeightMatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #4170
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooners4Life View Post
I don't recall claiming they didn't WANT to build this. I know they WANT to build it. I'm just not convinced they're GOING to build it. Tons of projects are planned and never get started and/or topped out. It just doesn't look to me like anyone is about to build a kilometer high tower right now, and I don't believe this will be completed anytime in the next decade.

Like I said before, I hope I'm wrong. I'm not rooting against this project, I'm just skeptical.
Yes, they want and they are going to build this. They signed a CONTRACT with a contractor. If contractor won't do his job in time I'm sure he will have to pay penalties or the case might even end up in the court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofHeightMatters View Post
That's a rather cynical attitude, even too cynical for me! Funding is the ONLY things that matters in skyscraper construction you know. The person or company that funds a skyscraper to completion is the one who built it, in every sense. The name an nationality of the starchitect that designed the building is pretty irrelevant.

The fact that Saudi oil money is behind this building is how I'm pretty sure it'll be built as planned. Anyone else behind it and I would be sure it would never be built.
You clearly missed the point. The guy was saying that one tower is "soviet relict" while the other is modern one as if that would really matter that the former is to be build in post Communist country as if it was to be build with the same technologies soviet commie blocks used. They are all ultra modern structures designed and engineered by american or european companies so the location really doesn't matter at all.

Old November 4th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #4171
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

i completely agree with patrykus and am pretty sure this is going to be built, but still i have to remind him that always something can go wrong. nakheel tower for example stopped right when foundation works were underway too, so i would be careful with saying it is for sure going to rise, yet the chances are very high, the investors and developpers of this project look a lot more stable than other projects that went downhill at that point. i think this tower is going to rise, but i also expect a lot of delays, so maybe this tower will not top out before 2018 and maybe not finish before 2019, but it is just a matter of time, i think this tower will rise.

Old November 4th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #4172
patrykus

Of course anything can always go wrong. But we are talking about normal course of action here. Nakheel tower got it's foundation half completed and stoped construction only because of the global crisis which you have to admit is very unusual event. This tower on the other hand is going forward and only something equally extreme could stop it. And yet you have lots of skeptical people here, some even calling it a joke.

Old November 4th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #4173
Funfy

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Of course anything can always go wrong. But we are talking about normal course of action here. Nakheel tower got it's foundation half completed and stoped construction only because of the global crisis which you have to admit is very unusual event. This tower on the other hand is going forward and only something equally extreme could stop it. And yet you have lots of skeptical people here, some even calling it a joke.
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #4174
patrykus

What now?

Old November 4th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #4175
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
yes i know, i am really positive about this project and think it will rise too, just wanted to point out that there always can go something wrong. this tower is definetely more than a joke. the architects alone pretty much confirm it, you wouldn't pay so much money on developing a masterplan if it was simply a publicity stunt. azerbaijian tower and J220 however are the exact opposite example, where we have just too few information to be cheering instead of being sceptical. so i think this building will be the next worlds tallest skyscraper, although there is still the chance a chinese scraper that is in preparation already gets raised to a little over Burj's height, because then it would probably finish before Kingdom Tower.

Old November 4th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #4176
patrykus

Yep J220 is a mystery Although they are not giving us too many good signs lately.

Last edited by patrykus; November 4th, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #4177
GOL2007

Likes (Received): 110

For me not the tower itself is the definite sign that they start the project (and will finish it) but the surrounding city to be built. As long as it is only dessert and even no infrastructure works can be seen it's clear that no tower will be built. Even if the tower needs 6 years to be built they would have to start now with the infrastructure for such a huge project. Just look at Burj Dubai and the Downtown Burj Dubai development. Both started simultaneously...
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #4178
patrykus

Ok I give up convincing you people If you have problems with simple deduction lets wait several months. Maybe not december or january but definitely rather sooner than later it will be real fun to repost all those "not gonna happen" posts

Old November 4th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #4179
MUHA
A Deep Miracle

Likes (Received): 1377

Prince Alwaleed with Jeddah Mega Project Board Members in Jeddah, Nov 2012.

Saudi Arabia's Prince Alwaleed, whose Kingdom Holding Company is behind the 1km-high Kingdom Tower project, has argued that the scheme is on "a solid strategic path" following a meeting of the project's various partners.

The third meeting of the project's board saw them discuss its latest development, including the formal award of a $40.8m (SR: 153m) contract for piling works to Saudi Bauer Foundation Contractors, which was announced last month.

Saudi Bauer also completed the piling on the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, which is currently the tallest building in the world at 828m.

The award was made by main contractor Saudi BinLaden Group, which has also invested $400m in the project and holds a 16.6% stake in the entity which is developing the scheme, Jeddah Economic Company.

Eng. Talal Al Maiman, chairman and CEO of Prince Alwaleed's Kingdom Real Estate Development Company, said: “The vision of constructing the tallest tower in the world in Jeddah belongs to Prince Alwaleed, who was closely involved in the selection of the scheme currently under design.”

He added: “The decision of the partners to build the world’s tallest building further demonstrates their belief in investing in this nation.”

A licence to build the tower was granted in February 2012 and the project is earmarked for completion by 2017. It is expected to cost $1.2bn, and form the first phase of a wider Kingdom City scheme that is projected to cost $2bn.

Kingdom City Jeddah will be built on a 5.3m m2 plot on the north of Jeddah overlooking the Red Sea.

Alongside Saudi Binladin Group's investment, Prince Alwaleed's Kingdom Holding Company has a 33.35% stake, Abraar IOnternational Holding Co has 33.35% and Jeddah-based businessman Abdulrahman Hassan Sharbatly has the remaining 16.67%.

Mr Sharbatly and Abraar International's Samual Baksh said in a joint statement that on completion Kingdom Tower would be "one of the world’s great tourist destinations as well as one of the most attractive places to live and work in the region”.

“In the meantime, we believe this project will create thousands of jobs, spurring the local economy,” he said.

The tower has been designed by Chicago-based architecture firm Adrian Smith + Gordn Gill Architecture (AS+GG). The design team also includes building services engineering consultants, Environmental Systems Design and structural engineer Thornton Tomasetti.

Kingdom Tower will be a mixed-use building containing a Four Seasons hotel, Four Seasons serviced apartments, office space, luxury apartments and an observatory level that will be higher than the world’s current highest observation deck.

Source

"Saudi Arabia's best days lie ahead." <3

MUHA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #4180
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOL2007 View Post
For me not the tower itself is the definite sign that they start the project (and will finish it) but the surrounding city to be built. As long as it is only dessert and even no infrastructure works can be seen it's clear that no tower will be built. Even if the tower needs 6 years to be built they would have to start now with the infrastructure for such a huge project. Just look at Burj Dubai and the Downtown Burj Dubai development. Both started simultaneously...
Huh?

No they didn't, there was only a Sales Center and a road leading to it till the foundations of the tower were completed. Only later work started on the rest
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest