daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #4221
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Since we've no pics, it's possible that bauer is working on the site already
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #4222
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2042

Yup !!
Old December 9th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #4223
Trnovo

Likes (Received): 52

So is 1007 meters official or is it just a predicted height?
Trnovo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #4224
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnovo View Post
So is 1007 meters official or is it just a predicted height?
i doubt it's official and i doubt we will know the final height until it is nearly topping out. i think they will keep it secret as long as they can as the developpers of Burj Khalifa did. So that they can always beat other proposals that may come soon who also raise for the crown. although it seems quite sure that Kingdom Tower won't have any opponents now who could take the crown before it.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #4225
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

We just know it will be over 1000m tall.
Old December 9th, 2012, 01:18 AM   #4226
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

however it is save to assume that it will be between 1000m and 1100m
Old December 9th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #4227
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar
however it is save to assume that it will be between 1000m and 1100m
Yes, more than 1100m are extreme unlikely
Old December 9th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #4228
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

1007 comes from blueprints so it very well may be final. Whether it can be increased or not depends on the fact if the foundations has been over engineered to withstand tower's additional weight.

I personally have this impression for longer time now that they indeed are just playing with this "over the 1000m", because they know people will think it may be much taller while in fact what we'll get is just couple additional meters.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #4229
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

We don't know that. The Burj Khalifa was 113 meters shorter then what it ended up, not only when the foundations were completed but also till many of the lower levels were already built
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #4230
patrykus

Foundation is still the most important. I remember reading somewhere that burj height could have been increased only because it's foundation was over-designed to withstand tower of height up to 1km or something around that number. Maybe the lower floors were over designed too? We don't know that. Maybe Fury can enlighten us. What I also find interesting (and Fury may know something about it) is whether all height options burj have had full technical documentation models etc. For instance have all height options had wind tunnel testing models made and tested? Or have this been done only for the final version? I'm asking this because we've already seen plans, 3d renders, and wind testing models of 1000m version of KT so whether all this has been prepared for all height options or just the final one of burj khalifa may be indication whether it can or can't be increased in future.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old December 9th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #4231
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

i somehow doubt that if the design stays mostly the same streching the top by 50m or 100m would change much in the tunnel testing though.
Old December 9th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #4232
AltinD
The Modecator

actually it does
I can cheat you blind.

Old December 9th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #4233
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Foundation is still the most important. I remember reading somewhere that burj height could have been increased only because it's foundation was over-designed to withstand tower of height up to 1km or something around that number. Maybe the lower floors were over designed too? We don't know that. Maybe Fury can enlighten us. What I also find interesting (and Fury may know something about it) is whether all height options burj have had full technical documentation models etc. For instance have all height options had wind tunnel testing models made and tested? Or have this been done only for the final version? I'm asking this because we've already seen plans, 3d renders, and wind testing models of 1000m version of KT so whether all this has been prepared for all height options or just the final one of burj khalifa may be indication whether it can or can't be increased in future.
Foundations are always overenginered for height (ie weight), that's the easy part. It's the compensation for wind forces and vortexes that is more difficult to calculate and can result to foundation redesigns.

Of course all the options were wind tested, even the redesign was made possible because of that (the setbacks on the wings). actually the wind tunnel test results showed that they could stretch it beyound the 1 km mark without additional stress to the foundations.

The lower levels were reinforced with carbonfiber strips though.
I can cheat you blind.

Old December 9th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #4234
Trnovo

Likes (Received): 52

Well, we'll see. It will certainly take the crown, but I wonder for how long.. The future is really interesting, I imagine in 20 years 500 meters will be considered as short.. We'll have to see..
Trnovo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #4235
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Foundations are always overenginered for height (ie weight)
Not for additional 300m or 50% of the buildings height They usually can add couple of floors for a regular tower. Foundation was clearly over engineered for future increases.

I don't know if Kt will get height increase and if so how big but I'm pretty sure at the moment they are not planning anything more than 1000m. What's more it could be rather difficult to increase the height during construction without destroying towers design due to the fact that it consists of straight sloped walls going from the ground to the very top of it.

Old December 9th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #4236
AltinD
The Modecator

Well, they can increase the mast ... or they can increase the height even before construction and not letting you know about it
I can cheat you blind.

Old December 9th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #4237
Azrain98
catlover

Likes (Received): 2635

The heck 1000m lol
Old December 9th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #4238
patrykus

Quote:
Well, they can increase the mast ...
Mast is also part of the straight walls. That would look wierd. Depends on how desperate they gets I guess.

Quote:
or they can increase the height even before construction and not letting you know about it
That would be right about now and we just recently saw pictures of the wind test models. So if that models shows 1007 meters tower I guess nothing is going to change now unless they made several wind test models just to mislead us here

Old December 9th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #4239
AltinD
The Modecator

They do several tests anyway as they did with Burj Khalifa models. It's an essential part of designing supertalls (or anything that has to deal with aerodynamics)
I can cheat you blind.

Old December 9th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #4240
patrykus

Several tests on same design (height)...

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest