daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 9th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #4241
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Yes, they do several tests on the same design (height), as they do also on several designs (height)
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #4242
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Any prove to confirm that they are testing several heights options for Kingdom Tower now? Seems rather unlikely especially at this stage just before construction start and that wind test models are really expensive things to make.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #4243
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Foundation is still the most important. I remember reading somewhere that burj height could have been increased only because it's foundation was over-designed to withstand tower of height up to 1km or something around that number. Maybe the lower floors were over designed too? We don't know that. Maybe Fury can enlighten us.
Hi Pat.
The number I have is 950 meters for the max height the foundation is designed for. Not sure about the lower levels engineering but the additional weight of increasing the number of steel sections at the top would be relatively minor. The lower levels did receive some reinforcement (as Altin noted) with blue beams places under the floor slabs but this was because of some minor cracking concerns IIRC.

Quote:
What I also find interesting (and Fury may know something about it) is whether all height options burj have had full technical documentation models etc.
The various height revisions during the planning and construction phases were almost certainly tested as was the final revision as a result of Adrian Smith not liking the top massing that was done quite late in the game.

The renders we have seen from the planning phase of the KT could be revised repeatedly by the developer or the architect, well into the construction phase - time will tell.

Ray.
Old December 9th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #4244
patrykus

Do you have pictures of wind test models for each height option?

The height may eventually be altered but you have to admit due to the straight lines in this design making such decision well into construction phase could potentially ruin it, depending on number we are talking about. Burj khalifa design made it easier for height increases because all its sections were perfectly vertical.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old December 9th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #4245
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Any prove to confirm that they are testing several heights options for Kingdom Tower now? Seems rather unlikely especially at this stage just before construction start and that wind test models are really expensive things to make.
I am not saying it is happening, I am saying it can happen, as it hass happened in the past with other towers (i.e. burj khalifa).

Fury, I remember a Adrian Smith interview where he mention the wind tunnel testing of 1km design variations, and how that height was technically possible even at that stage of construction.
I can cheat you blind.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old December 9th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #4246
patrykus

This is what I think. We have seen blueprints of 1007m version. We haven't seen blueprints of any taller version. So we can safely assume 1007m is what is the current plan. 7 meters is what they keep in secret. Now if there wont be any real competition they won't revise it. If there is competition (azerbaijan tower?) competitors obviously will make it at least 100m or 200m taller to be sure. And extensions above that in the middle of construction would destroy the straight lines concept of the design (even if it is supported by over engineered foundation). And mind you this tower is much skinnier than burj (especially at the top part) how much you can extend it till it looks too ridiculous? In conclusion I think they won't. But it's just my opinion I would certainly not bet my life on it.

Old December 10th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #4247
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
This is what I think. We have seen blueprints of 1007m version. We haven't seen blueprints of any taller version. So we can safely assume 1007m is what is the current plan. 7 meters is what they keep in secret. Now if there wont be any real competition they won't revise it. If there is competition (azerbaijan tower?) competitors obviously will make it at least 100m or 200m taller to be sure. And extensions above that in the middle of construction would destroy the straight lines concept of the design (even if it is supported by over engineered foundation). And mind you this tower is much skinnier than burj (especially at the top part) how much you can extend it till it looks too ridiculous? In conclusion I think they won't. But it's just my opinion I would certainly not bet my life on it.
I wouldn't be surprised if the final height is 1028 Meters, just so that they can say they topped the BK by a full 200 Meters.

CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #4248
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2042

Guys , please stop discussing final height while even the construction did not start yet !! the right thing we should discus by now is >> THE BEGINNING OF FOUNDATION WORKS Who knows if they cancel the whole project tomorrow ....
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #4249
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
For a company that is planning to build a 1000+ tower, making some extra wind test models is nothing. On the contrary, they can save a lot of money testing some extra models.

tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #4250
patrykus

All I know is they are expensive. And IMO they tested taller options of bk only when they decided to extended it. Only time will tell who was right and who was wrong I guess.

Old December 11th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #4251
AltinD
The Modecator

You do have a comunication prroblem
I can cheat you blind.

Old December 11th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #4252
patrykus

Well at least I don't have a spelling one :P But what you are referring to exactly anyway?

Old December 11th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #4253
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

would you girls please start using PM's to talk shit about each other It's getting pretty old fast sifting through the childish posts from both of you in MULTIPLE THREADS

I once thought both of you were stand up guys with lots of knowledge to offer but lately both just pretty annoying.
Lets squash the kid talk and type nicely

4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #4254
AltinD
The Modecator

To your conflictual attitude ... just re-read your latest post
I can cheat you blind.

Old December 11th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #4255
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
would you girls please start using PM's to talk shit about each other It's getting pretty old fast sifting through the childish posts from both of you in MULTIPLE THREADS

I once thought both of you were stand up guys with lots of knowledge to offer but lately both just pretty annoying.
Lets squash the kid talk and type nicely
That certainly have improved my mood for the evening But you're right. Why should i bother to react at every provocation I see ONLINE Thank god I at least learned to ignore that Ryugyong thread crap months ago. Good bye and good night.

Old December 13th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #4256
soltanalharbi

Likes (Received): 3

Congratulations Kingdom Tower has just started today

Congratulations Kingdom Tower has just started today and photos will soon follows or a link to such photos will be posted , later on.

soltanalharbi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #4257
Redzio
To ja!

Likes (Received): 6821

Super news
Redzio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #4258
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltanalharbi View Post
Congratulations Kingdom Tower has just started today and photos will soon follows or a link to such photos will be posted , later on.
Wonderful, can't wait
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #4259
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltanalharbi View Post
Oh you better not be mocking us

And welcome at ssc. This must be best first post ever if it's true

Old December 13th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #4260
soltanalharbi

Likes (Received): 3

Do not worry I would not do that

Quote:
Oh you better not be mocking us

And welcome at ssc. This must be best first post ever if it's true
First, I really put that post only because I appreciate what you guys wrote about the project and i want you to know before others as a return to your service.

Second, I can put the link that posted the news from the Tower site but unfortunately its in arabic just wait until they post their pictures and then you will have it.

By the way , the news coming from the site its self.

Any how here is the link

http://www.aqarcity.com/t3044222.html

Thanks to all of you who welcomed me

Last edited by soltanalharbi; December 13th, 2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: correction
soltanalharbi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest