daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #421
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

I can't even tell if you're being sarcastic or serious, so is it really 2km planned tower or not?

NijmegenCity liked this post
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #422
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

sarcastic, but i noticed it too in the models.

SirAdrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #423
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceScraper View Post
I do not think any of the three towers - Nakheel Harbour, 1 Dubai, Anara -still waiting for construction to start will be completed as scheduled. It seems that Dubai has extended itself financially as much as it can. See http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...LIA&refer=home for the complete article.

While Dubai's economic model ``has proved successful to date, cumulative liabilities are currently rising faster than investments are able to generate returns,'' Moody's senior vice president in Dubai, Philipp Lotter, said in the report. This ``necessitates a clear understanding of wider implicit federal support when rating key government-backed corporation.''

Moody's expects a ``high level'' of support from Abu Dhabi for the ``most important'' publicly-owned companies in the U.A.E., Tristan Cooper, Moody's Middle East sovereign analyst, said in the report.

A spokesman for the Abu Dhabi government declined to comment on whether the emirate would assist its neighbor in meeting its debt obligations.
1 Dubai already has a contractor and soon will be U/C, the financial problem is effecting the Nakheel tower and not the Anara as well as the one dubai. and also the developer is acquiring land, so as soon as they finish its going to be U/C

helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #424
Nout
AstroNout

Likes (Received): 1035

Wow the building is standing there so proud as a sharp knife surrounded by armies of other talls and supertalls. Looks as a briliant peace of masterwork.

Nout no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #425
gohorns

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAdrian View Post
That's the 2km Jeddah Tower, but we're not interested in that.
That got a laugh from me...you are a funny man SirAdrian

gohorns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #426
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post

What's the tower circled in red?
its either a tower or a monument of some sort.
its all the way on the right. its not very tall, so u might not notice it
http://img406.imageshack.us/my.php?i...1060360tg5.jpg

Last edited by helghast; October 16th, 2008 at 12:52 AM.
helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #427
Asunarocks

Likes (Received): 6

Many thanks for the location pic jh1 .

Asunarocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #428
Saudi guy

Likes (Received): 4156

Quote:
Originally Posted by womfalcs3 View Post
Oh so it's in Ubhur? That'll sure drive property prices up. I'd buy land now.
too late
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:11 AM   #429
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 282

Amazing... it actually looks like one of these megalomaniac projects is proposing to employ some urban design skills! From the looks of the pictures there appear to be some genuine streets, with buildings on each side, some open spaces that are actually enclosed by buildings rather than being sprawling and non defined... there even appears to be a density of buildings that might allow people to walk arounf the city from place to place. Lets hope it doesnt become another sprawling mass of car parks, highways, shopping malls and isolated towers. Lets hope the city they build here will not be dependent on oil, air conditioning, cars and will be sustainable to some extent... or as sustainable as a massive construction project in a desert can be!?

steppenwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #430
gho

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppenwolf View Post
Lets hope it doesnt become another sprawling mass of car parks, highways, shopping malls and isolated towers. Lets hope the city they build here will not be dependent on oil, air conditioning, cars and will be sustainable to some extent... or as sustainable as a massive construction project in a desert can be!?
Its being built in Saudi Arabia, I dont think there too big on all this sustainability and moving away from oil thing. Not in there national interests.

gho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #431
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5437

I would say that that is another model of the tower that is behind the cityscape model, probably a larger hero model.

Locke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #432
choyak

Likes (Received): 19

The diagram showing Taipei 101, Petronas, ESB and Kingdom Tower is incorrect. Petronas is not that high compared to Taipei 101. The spire on Petronas goes approximately to the roof of Taipei 101.

I was wondering if the top of this tower going to be like that? It appears as if a pole is holding up the nose cone!!

I am wondering why this is called Kingdom Tower, I thought Kingdom Tower was on the right side of the diagram in Riyadh with like 90 floors???

choyak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #433
jh1
سعودي

Likes (Received): 63

^
^
I don't think it's an official name , I mean some of the local newspapers here in Saudi called it " The Jeddah Tower " . it's just a working title for the press and public .

I hope it goes up to a mile high ( as there were Rumors tow years ago ) so we can call it the Mile High Tower or The Mile Tower , that'll be cool : D

jh1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #434
kasy boy

Likes (Received): 1

this tower is for 1- saudis 2- GCC 3- middle east 4- asia- 5 world... ... IF YOU GOT MONEY YOU CAN HAVE 100KM TOWER.. MONEY MONEY MONEY... SHOW ME THE MONEY ...

kasy boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #435
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

This seems a little out there... not an incredibly realistic proposal. Then again I can't really doubt people's tall skyscraper craving out there...

Sentient Seas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #436
JohanSA

Likes (Received): 478

This is so ridiculous.... build big tower - install earth killing aircon - people will come - but people are soooooo stupid ...... I prefer my beautiful 3rd world city with some of the best weather and natural beauty in the world...
Twitter, Instagram : @JohanTTBlom

JohanSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #437
Senju
minami.senju on STEAM

Likes (Received): 6

I assume it will take like 5 minutes to get to the top area. If so, that is 5 minutes up and 5 minutes down which means you spend 10 minutes a day in a dam elevator (if you buy one of the upper condos). That would be over an hour a week of your life in the elevator. It would not be so bad if the the elevator would run outside on the side of the building but as I see it they are all in the middle. I can just see a family fighting on who has to go down the bottom floor to buy a gallon of milk.

Senju no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #438
larven

Likes (Received): 2973

A stunning design, far cleaner in form than the overcomplicated Burj Dubai. Will be perfect as a centerpiece for the wider development around it. By far the best design I've seen for any of the would be pretenders to BD's crown.

larven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #439
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5437

The Burj Dubai overcomplicated? I'd say it's more the case that this tower is undercomplicated, not that that is a bad thing, the KISS does have it's merit.

All the same, I fully expect that Dubai will top this tower in some form or another, they are not going to take having their thunder stolen for the next 10 years lying down I think!

Locke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #440
Rody69

Likes (Received): 1918

From (KHC) website:

King Abdullah Inaugurates the Two Huge Projects: Kingdom City & Tallest Tower in the World in Jeddah
(12/10/2008)

King Abdullah, Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques unveiled and inaugurated the two colossal projects of Kingdom City in Jeddah and Kingdom Tower in Jeddah in the presence of HRH Crown Prince Sultan Bin Abdulaziz, HRH Prince Khaled Alfaisal Governor of Makkah Province, HRH Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Chairman of Kingdom Holding Company (KHC) and Eng. Adel Muhammad Faqih, Mayor of Jeddah and other members of the royal family.

The unveiling of the designs and plans of the tower that will adorn the city of Jeddah and will be over 1,000 meters high, was held at the opening of a major international architectural exhibition “Towards the First World” in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia on Saturday 11th October 2008. KHC was the main sponsor of this historical event. KHC’s two projects: Kingdom City and Kingdom Tower were the highlight of the exhibition with a major presentation. It was the first time the design for Kingdom City and the iconic Kingdom Tower were revealed publicly. During the event, King Abdullah and Prince Alwaleed toured KHC’s exhibition of the master plan and designs of the project with a total investment of more than SR100 billion.

HRH Prince Alwaleed commented: “KHC has many grand investments in real estate in Saudi Arabia and this is one of them. We are extremely delighted at the unveiling of the designs and plans of KHC’s iconic Kingdom City and Kingdom Tower projects in the city of Jeddah by the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz which will signify KHC’s contribution in placing Saudi Arabia at the forefront of the first world and reaffirming KHC as one of the world leading real estate developers.” King Abdullah has previously inaugurated the Kingdom Tower in Riyadh during which Prince Alwaleed presented the King with the awards that Kingdom Centre had received: the Best New Skyscraper of the Year 2003 for Kingdom Tower and The Innovative Design & Construction of a New Project 2003 for Al Mamlaka Mall.

Engineer Talal Al Maiman, Executive Director for Development and Domestic Investments and a member of KHC’s Investment Committee commented: “Through the continuous guidance of HRH Prince Alwaleed, KHC uses its resources to their utmost potential to lead to outstanding achievements and to make future visions a reality through leading and challenging projects. I have all the confidence that the return on investments of these projects will be very rewarding, God willing as KHC’s projects have been in Riyadh. ”

Organized by the City of Jeddah, the exhibition features sixteen projects currently planned for the Makkah and Jeddah regions. Kingdom Tower is part of the Kingdom City development which will be one of the largest and most comprehensive real estate projects to be built in Saudi Arabia located at Obhur, North of the creek of Jeddah and the mountains to the east. Prominently located on a prime site, the master plan, encompassing7.1 square kilometers (1750 acres). Kingdom City in Jeddah is 20 km from the old city of Jeddah near King Abdulaziz International Airport. The area that comprises of buildings is 23 million square meters includes commercial, residential, institutional, educational, entertainment, retail and hotel facilities. The centerpiece of the development will be the landmark Kingdom Tower. Kingdom City is expected to house 80,000 residents and accommodate 250,000 visitors who will enjoy its facilities; lakes, canals, water sports and other leisure activities.

Kingdom Tower’s timeless beauty derives from its simplicity and purity of form. The tower will rise from a large retail and conference centre podium to 1,000+ meters in height –the tallest building in the world – and include five-star hotel accommodations, office space and luxury residences that encompass dramatic, sweeping views of the Red Sea, Obhur Creek and the mountains to the east. Essentially triangular in plan, Kingdom Tower is conceived as a graceful, sculptural form that reflects not only the unique character of Jeddah but also the sky, water, and land from its taut glass skin.

http://www.kingdom.com.sa/en/MC_PR_N...asp?p=3&ID=191

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest