daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #441
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

I've had to delete a number of posts here.

If you attempt to de-rail this thread with off topic posts/spam/trolling, you will be banned.

NijmegenCity liked this post
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #442
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Its really interesting the way the prince says this tower will be the tallest in the world. Then Nakheel says they'll build the tallest in the world which contradicts eachother in a way. (Maybe both towers will be the exact same height) LOL

buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #443
KAL76
Architect

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
Its really interesting the way the prince says this tower will be the tallest in the world. Then Nakheel says they'll build the tallest in the world which contradicts eachother in a way. (Maybe both towers will be the exact same height) LOL
I think the coming few years will be like a cold war between Nakheel and The kingdom company. it will be exiting to follow up on it and see who win at the end

KAL76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #444
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAL76 View Post
I think the coming few years will be like a cold war between Nakheel and The kingdom company. it will be exiting to follow up on it and see who win at the end
That is exactly the most interesting thing I'm looking at, both companies are waiting for the other to make their first move. Interesting to see how this turns out.

Old October 18th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #445
gohorns

Likes (Received): 25

^ haha...yeah this one will definitely go down to the wire. If I were to pick my horse though, I would go with prince waleed and the kingdom tower. Even if they lose this race, he will always be a great business leader who has turned around many businesses. And best of all, he isn't government-funded. So this is more like a privately funded tower competing against a government-backed tower (nakheel) and beating another government-backed tower (burj dubai).

gohorns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #446
gohorns

I do wonder though...that once these 2 are built, where do we go from there? It can't possibly go any higher..or can it? (watch some other announcement come out and blow our minds..haha)

Old October 18th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #447
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Scientists are still working on the carbon nanotube technology...

which will enable Dubai to build that Vertical city and those visions in Japan and etc... But you certainly can't rule out the idea that skyscrapers can't go any higher than Nakheel and Kingdom tower will be.

Old October 18th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #448
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohorns View Post
I do wonder though...that once these 2 are built, where do we go from there? It can't possibly go any higher..or can it? (watch some other announcement come out and blow our minds..haha)
Haha, this is how it's always been.

I mean, once the ESB is completed, how much higher can they really go? Twice the height? That's BLASPHEMY.

Exciting times for skyscraper enthusiasts if you didn't already get that A MILLION TIMES OVER! D

Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #449
gho

Likes (Received): 44

Well it took a very long time to go higher than the ESB, and i think it will be a very long time (after the arabs finish there skyscraper competition) that there will be another WTB.

gho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 06:54 AM   #450
gohorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
Scientists are still working on the carbon nanotube technology...

which will enable Dubai to build that Vertical city and those visions in Japan and etc... But you certainly can't rule out the idea that skyscrapers can't go any higher than Nakheel and Kingdom tower will be.
Yeah I think at some point they will come up with that technology but doesn't going up higher and higher become less and less feasible? I think that point will be reached by these 2 monsters, if it hasn't already been reached by burj dubai.

I am just saying...in terms of the impact on the environment considering the amount of energy that would be wasted on such buildings, when it would be much more feasible to have shorter towers (400m-600m). Also considering how much more it would take to secure these buildings versus shorter ones. I think at one point it will have to stop. I mean if you keep going and reach a point where there is not enough oxygen...are you going to artifically give people oxygen? Seems like that would be a waste....just saying

Old October 19th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #451
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohorns View Post
Yeah I think at some point they will come up with that technology but doesn't going up higher and higher become less and less feasible? I think that point will be reached by these 2 monsters, if it hasn't already been reached by burj dubai.

I am just saying...in terms of the impact on the environment considering the amount of energy that would be wasted on such buildings, when it would be much more feasible to have shorter towers (400m-600m). Also considering how much more it would take to secure these buildings versus shorter ones. I think at one point it will have to stop. I mean if you keep going and reach a point where there is not enough oxygen...are you going to artifically give people oxygen? Seems like that would be a waste....just saying
well it wouldnt be a waste of energy if it was a mile-high, zero-energy vertical city

helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #452
CoolSaudi

Likes (Received): 6

wow helghast...u haven't change your signature yet..i think u should

CoolSaudi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #453
AvanGard
HMS

Quote:
gohors
Vertical construction will always have less environmental impact than horizontal expansion. Moreover, it is more feasible to concentrate the main utilities in one tall building than to encompass them in several smaller ones.

Therefore, when you consider the environmental impact, the feasibility factors and the pure tourist attraction that such building will generate you will see that indeed such projects are quite beneficial not only to the people financing them but to sociaties as a whole.

The simple fact that more and more of them are becoming a reality is evidence of their practicality.
Technology has very little catching up to do before we start building towers like Vertical City.

AvanGard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:26 PM   #454
andisart

Likes (Received): 33

Does any one know what techniques they will use to built this him? any technology names I can google?

I saw a documentary a couple of years ago that showed german researchers developing a material that would be very flexibel (tehy actually bend it quite a lot) but harder than steel and much lighter. They said it would become ready for the market in a few years. Maybe that's what they're gonna use now.

andisart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:40 PM   #455
Skoulikimou
Brief State of Euphoria

Likes (Received): 19

KHC - Mile High Tower

Project Value : USD 13,600,000,000 (estimated)

Sector : Real Estate | Mixed Development

Consultant : JV of Hyder Consulting and Arup

PMC : Saudi Arabian Bechtel Company

Owner : Kingdom Holding

Capacity : 5.3 million sq. m.

Background : Kingdom Holding is planning to construct Mile High Tower in Jeddah.Mile High Tower could reach a height of 1,600 m (one mile), the total built up area is 170,000 sq.m.,The tower is part of a wider real estate project planned by KHC. The UK's Hyder Consulting and Arup are the consultants on the project. Omrania and Associates and Pickard Chilton fro the US are the project architects

Current Status : The project is still in the design stage. In Q4 2008, the ITB is expected to be issued. In May 2008, the design was modified. The tower is expected to be 500 meters shorter. The project is facing technical problems. In February 2008, the project was announced.

Scope of Work : Site preparation that include excavation of land, piling works and infrastructure. Construction of a wind resistant tower that could reach a height from 1,100 m. to 1,600 m.

www.zawya.com

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

Skoulikimou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:17 PM   #456
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvanGard View Post
Vertical construction will always have less environmental impact than horizontal expansion. Moreover, it is more feasible to concentrate the main utilities in one tall building than to encompass them in several smaller ones.

Therefore, when you consider the environmental impact, the feasibility factors and the pure tourist attraction that such building will generate you will see that indeed such projects are quite beneficial not only to the people financing them but to sociaties as a whole.

The simple fact that more and more of them are becoming a reality is evidence of their practicality.
Technology has very little catching up to do before we start building towers like Vertical City.
AvanGard and Helghast should probably take a few lessons in engineering and physics. Two 70-floor buildings require fewer resources and have more rentable space than one 140-floor building. Devices for moving people up and down are inherently more energy inefficient even if you equipped elevators with energy capturing batteries and technologies like you find in Hybrid cars. Furthermore, tall buildings have more surface exposed to the air than cube shaped buildings of the same volume. That makes tall buildings in places like Dubai and Jeddah especailly hard to keep air conditioned. Supertalls are bad for the environment but good for the spirit because they are so inspiring.

SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM   #457
andisart

Likes (Received): 33

The argument with the harder air conditioning of tall buildings doesn't really count, the air is getting considerably colder when you move higher from the surface. Towers like the Meeras Tower and One Park Avenue will filter colder air from the top area down through the lower levels.

andisart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:19 PM   #458
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

im sorry but i think things like these are ugly.

This things stick out over a KM above all other buildings in the area, that looks disgusting. Building may look nice then, but the skyline looks aweful.

First a lot of buildings close to this ones height should be build before Ill think it looks good.

Thats just what i think now, maybe how it turns out in real might completely prove me wrong.

SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 07:35 AM   #459
Cidade_Branca
Architect

Likes (Received): 1683

Prince al-Walid bin Talal is currently planning to build a tower in a new city near the Red Sea town of Jeddah that is literally a mile high. At 5,250 ft. and a cost of approximately $10 million, it will double the size of any competitors.

No tower current or under construction will exceed 2.300 ft. Construction workers will be lifted by helicopter to the top.

in http://dailyyeah.com/tag/jeddah-tower/
Cidade_Branca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #460
rakan

Likes (Received): 1

omg this is incrdible

rakan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest