daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2013, 10:07 AM   #4581
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwahmed View Post
So the height of Kingdom tower is reduced??
Lol no, where did you get that from?
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:42 AM   #4582
iger_uae

Likes (Received): 1

the construction is expected to start in the middle of 2013 now... I guess

source:

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/jedda...rm-490393.html
Old February 21st, 2013, 01:46 PM   #4583
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Bauer is on site already. I don't get why the start is middle of the year now. Maybe they mean the superstructure and not the foundation
Old February 22nd, 2013, 12:17 AM   #4584
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Shard builder plans world's tallest skyscraper in Saudi Arabia
Kingdom Tower skyscraper in Jeddah will surpass Dubai's 828m Burj Khalifa
Share 130

guardian.co.uk, Thursday 21 February 2013 11.38 GMT

The team behind the construction of The Shard in London has landed a contract to project-manage the $1.2bn construction of the world's tallest building. Photograph: Mace/PA
The builder of The Shard skyscraper in London will be the project manager for the planned 1,000-metre-high Kingdom Tower in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia - the proposed tallest building in the world.

Mace will manage the development in a joint venture with construction consultant EC Harris, part of Dutch group Arcadis. The skyscraper will be built by the Saudi construction firm Bin Laden Group.

The tower's height is planned at almost three times the height of the Shard (at 308 metres), although by precisely how much is a secret. The structure will take over from Dubai's 828-metre Burj Khalifa as the world's tallest skyscraper.

The tower is to include a hotel, serviced apartments and luxury condominiums.

Plans were unveiled 18 months ago by Saudi billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal as the centrepiece to the Kingdom City development in Jeddah, a major Red Sea port.

"One of the reasons we hired them is they are going to use the same team that was on The Shard," Waleed Abduljaleel Batterjee, chief executive of developer Jeddah Economic Company, told British trade magazine Building.

Oil-rich Saudi Arabia is undertaking multibillion-pound projects to improve its infrastructure and meet its burgeoning housing needs, spending more than £263bn in the five years to 2013.

Jeddah, the country's second-largest city with around 4 million residents, has long complained of neglect.

Firms will "start mobilising" in April and construction work should start by the middle of the year, Batterjee said.

Construction will take just over five years.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...est-skyscraper
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:17 AM   #4585
K.S.A
Jeddah Tower Lover

Likes (Received): 4363

Shard builders Mace to project manage Saudi Arabia's Kingdom tower.

When completed, the Kingdom tower near Jeddah will be the world's tallest building, potentially reaching a height of 1,200m , The British company that built the Shard skyscraper in London will manage the construction of the Kingdom tower in Saudi Arabia, which will be the world's tallest building when completed.

Mace, which also played a part in building the London Eye and renovating Oxford's Ashmolean Museum, has been appointed by the Jeddah Economic Company (JEC) to jointly oversee the £780m project with EC Harris, a British-based construction consultancy.

Exactly how far the Kingdom tower will rise above the sands of the Arabian desert near Jeddah is still a closely guarded secret, but JEC said it will be taller than the 830 metre Burj Khalifa, currently the world's tallest building. The company also said it would be four times as high as the 310 metre Shard, meaning it could top out at about 1,200 metres.

The Saudi Binladin group will begin construction later this year and the project should be completed in winter 2018.

The Saudi billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal unveiled the plans, by American firm Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture, 18 months ago as part of a new £13bn Kingdom City development on the Red Sea coast to the north of Jeddah.
The chief executive of JEC, Waleed Abdul Jaleel Batterjee, said: "The vision of constructing the tallest tower in the world in Jeddah belongs to HRH Prince Alwaleed bin Talal. His vision is also that the project itself will set the world's sights on our beloved Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Furthermore, the project will help create hundreds of jobs for our Saudi countrymen."

He told Building magazine that Mace was chosen because it was "going to use the same team that was on the Shard".

With a total construction area of more than 500,000 sq m, the Kingdom tower will include a five-star hotel, luxury flats, office space and the world's highest observatory, with breathtaking views of the Red Sea and the al-Sawarat mountains to the east.

Oil-rich Saudi Arabia has growing housing demands and is planning to spend about £260bn on infrastructure projects to meet its needs over the next five years.

Jeddah is the country's second largest city, with a population of 4 million. It has long complained of being neglected in favour of the capital, Riyadh, and recently had its bid to turn the old city into a Unesco world heritage site turned down.

Mark Reynolds, chief executive of Mace, said: "Kingdom tower is a project of international importance and immense ambition and we are delighted to be part of the team tasked with its delivery. As the client's project manager, I am confident we will deliver a development exemplary in innovation and approach."

source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...-kingdom-tower

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by K.S.A; February 22nd, 2013 at 06:23 AM.
K.S.A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:23 AM   #4586
cfredo

Likes (Received): 1334

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
Lol no, where did you get that from?
I think those modified SSP-diagrams confused him.
cfredo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:09 AM   #4587
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfredo View Post

I think those modified SSP-diagrams confused him.
, that's possible.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:35 PM   #4588
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8242

like with Burj Khalifa, they will probably not tell the exact spire height until it is already far risen. the option of it still reaching above 1100m is great

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 03:13 PM   #4589
Borromini's Ghost

Likes (Received): 28

Awe inspiring and totally ridiculous all at the same time.

My question is:

Where do people assemble during a fire drill? In fact how do the get out with out using the lifts? That's one hell of a load of stairs
Borromini's Ghost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 03:23 PM   #4590
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Yes, such building requires a lot of everything. We will see things never done before.

tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:30 PM   #4591
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 3645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borromini's Ghost View Post
My question is:

Where do people assemble during a fire drill? In fact how do the get out with out using the lifts? That's one hell of a load of stairs
I'm not sure in any way, but if I were to guess, I'd say that the tower would be split into "fire sections", and a fire drill would simply involve "evacuate the affected sections" (even if that involves going up floors). The Y-shape footprint should make it possible to always have two alternate escape routes in the event of a fire; if one "arm" goes ablaze, the tower is designed to prevent the fire from spreading to the others. The fire drills would then rely on the core being fireproof enough to contain the fire in one wing (again due to the Y-shape, all spreading of fire from wing to wing would necessarily have to go through the core).

This again means that it would be quite unlikely for two wings to be on fire at the same time. As far as fires are concerned, the tower would be like three separate buildings, and the probability of more than one wing being on fire is small enough that fire drills would only have to revolve around a scenario of a fire in one wing. Occupants of the wing in question would have to evacuate to another wing until help arrives. A total evacuation would take hours, and possibly be done in steps to prevent clogging the staircases.

Then again, there are events requiring a full evacuation, and those would be "interesting" to organize. Luckily, the concentration of people is the greatest near the base, so the greatest portion of the occupants would also be the easiest one to evacuate. The tower is also thickest near the base, so it would be almost impossible for an event to block the escape route for all three wings and at the same time affect a lot of people. An aircraft impact, for instance, would only affect all three wings if it happened near the top (thus only trapping the relatively few people being up there). Any major event near the bottom would be likely to leave at least one escape route open.

Kyll.Ing. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:41 PM   #4592
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.A View Post
The Saudi Binladin group will begin construction later this year and the project should be completed in winter 2018.
ok, that means there's no delay. So Saudi Binladin Group will start with the superstructure later this year. For now Bauer is working on the foundation
Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:03 AM   #4593
seth415

Likes (Received): 154

I personally think it's perfect as it is. It would look dull and less magnificent without the spire. Will definitely be visiting Jeddah when the kingdom city project is finished (hopefully before I die lol)
seth415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:04 AM   #4594
seth415

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II

ok, that means there's no delay. So Saudi Binladin Group will start with the superstructure later this year. For now Bauer is working on the foundation
seth415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:43 AM   #4595
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Getting more and more excited and it's becoming one of myaourite soon-to-be-towers in the world.

So no basement, I see. (I guess with 800 meters of usable floors you don't really need a basement!)

ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 03:17 AM   #4596
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

I don't believe this tower will include parking space but that is often build underground because it looks ugly above ground imo.

tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:55 AM   #4597
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

I thought the design was to feature something like parking for 1,500-6,000 cars (or was it 3K)... Anyway if it is underground, I thought I read it was being handled by an ancilitory garage / deck / underground structure that is nearby, but not directly underneath, the tower.

Probably why you don't see under-building garages anymore for projects of this magnitude due to the old WTC '93 bombing.

The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:45 PM   #4598
Augustão d2

Likes (Received): 514

I dream that when I see part of suppetalls in construction appear like Kingdom Tower Jeddah-U/C
Augustão d2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #4599
Ihatemyusername

Likes (Received): 1

I thought the construction already started? Am I just outdated or what?
Ihatemyusername no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #4600
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatemyusername View Post
I thought the construction already started? Am I just outdated or what?
Probably yes, we just need some new pics as evidence

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest