daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2013, 11:57 PM   #4761
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 3614

When building a tower this size, engineering problems trump architectural ones every time. Having a disk circumsising the tower, for instance, would cause the wind to really screw things up. Maybe they could have done a few things differently, but I'd wager most of the solutions we see are made that way to keep the tower standing for as long as intended, not because of aesthetics.

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2013, 01:49 AM   #4762
gdipasqu

Likes (Received): 249

Since how long this thread 'd switch to U/C Topic ? Oo

AWESOMEEEEEEEEE so happy yeahhhhhhhh
gdipasqu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:18 AM   #4763
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadh Crusher View Post
It is clear there is no information stating the building is under construction at the Jeddah Kingdom Tower official site. I would be much interested on why the site has not been updated recently.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:42 AM   #4764
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyll.Ing. View Post
When building a tower this size, engineering problems trump architectural ones every time. Having a disk circumsising the tower, for instance, would cause the wind to really screw things up. Maybe they could have done a few things differently, but I'd wager most of the solutions we see are made that way to keep the tower standing for as long as intended, not because of aesthetics.
That's true. Towers are designed by architects and engineers working together. If the former are given free rain price of the building skyrockets and that sometimes happens like for instance beekman in new york aka organic box covered with steel - unthinkable material for cladding in most cases. And when I look at kt it's rather obvious it was designed mainly by engineers with target of maximizing height at lowest cost in mind. Three wing structure tapering towards the top, sloping walls, few decorations and very small space to height ratio leaves no illusion. For instance this tower is going to have sloping walls not because it looks good but because they will allow the use of concrete formworks that won't require serious reconfiguration during the construction hence speeding it up. So I am not surprised some people won't like it for it's aesthetics since obviously it wasn't designed to be the wonder of architecture (engineering - yes) but to be bearable for investors to just build it. You can build an expensive supertall but building expensive 1000m tower is quite an another story (probably to be or not to be for the project). Some will say it could have been build to lower height with better design but then it would lost it's purpose which no doubt is to brake record. I for one don't mind - it's enough fun to me watching kilometer tall tower rising that I can forgive it's design flaws. And lets be honest height itself makes the tower spectacular
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by patrykus; March 22nd, 2013 at 02:50 AM.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:47 AM   #4765
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsofthecity View Post
It is clear there is no information stating the building is under construction at the Jeddah Kingdom Tower official site. I would be much interested on why the site has not been updated recently.
I'm pretty sure this site is not official. They never posted anything exclusive and pictures they posted usually came form ssc. But even there you can read about Bauer contract to construct foundation beginning in december 2012 (they started bringing equipment at this time to the site) here:

http://kingdomtowerskyscraper.com/Ba...dom-Tower.html
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:26 AM   #4766
HoneyDaddy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
Just as I thought, another opinion stopping by to give just that. You can move on now...I'm sure you've got a shit ton of buildings to design and architecture "firsts" to accomplish stacked a foot high on your desk
U'r too prone to make quick allegations, based on nothing.
U just haven't read it carefully or didn't understand. Or u just have no idea, what it leads to, if a bldg. has sloped sides of that scale! There can be many implications. To put it in a few words, it's dangerous and expensive.
Okay, so u guys seth415 and ZZ-II, say that this is the most brilliant design ever and it's the best u can can imagine?

HoneyDaddy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 09:41 AM   #4767
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Are you again suggesting that there should be no slope on the outside? Come on daddy, it's not a short box we're talking here, it's a 1km plus tower, and that is practically impossible, because of the weight and wind problems ..... and you should know it

Well, you can argue that Burj Khalifa does not have slopes, but I doubt you have any high consideration for that building either.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 09:43 AM   #4768
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
I'm pretty sure this site is not official. They never posted anything exclusive and pictures they posted usually came form ssc. But even there you can read about Bauer contract to construct foundation beginning in december 2012 (they started bringing equipment at this time to the site) here:

http://kingdomtowerskyscraper.com/Ba...dom-Tower.html
As if the website name alone isn't a clear indication
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:36 AM   #4769
patrykus

Yes it is because of the skyscraper in it (same as burjdubaiskyscraper.com), yet the guy still confused it with the official site. You think I was too kind offering further explanation?

Last edited by patrykus; March 22nd, 2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 11:09 AM   #4770
HoneyDaddy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Are you again suggesting that there should be no slope on the outside? Come on daddy, it's not a short box we're talking here, it's a 1km plus tower, and that is practically impossible, because of the weight and wind problems ..... and you should know it

Well, you can argue that Burj Khalifa does not have slopes, but I doubt you have any high consideration for that building either.
Can be easily implemented as an imitation of slope, using one simple trick. With that done properly, it could look 90% the same, while having additional useful features. And yes, that's exactly my point: a 1km plus tower - is a very serious consideration for the developer, rather than making a design!
BK has quite a thorough design, if we forget a rather dull implementation of the tiers. So basically you're right, it's not perfect either in the perspective of solid considerations.

HoneyDaddy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:26 PM   #4771
smfarazm..
Pakistan Zindabaad!

Likes (Received): 18595

Hell Yeah!

for Jeddah.

smfarazm.. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:39 PM   #4772
xAbd0o
(j)r(j)-p꜂(t)

Likes (Received): 1090

Brilliant! Can't wait for to see this baby rising. Has anyone got U/C pics?
xAbd0o no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:44 PM   #4773
J349

Likes (Received): 13

Looking good :P
I'm jelly why can't we have some bigger towers here in the UK silly old air traffic controllers lol
Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:38 PM   #4774
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAbd0o
Rody just posted them

Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:58 PM   #4775
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

i am pretty sure the website was created from a member on this forum. but i cannot remember the name of the user, may even have something like kingdom tower in the name though.

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:27 PM   #4776
patrykus

I'm not sure about kt (it very well might be), but I remember that unofficial burj khalifa site was created by the ssc member (bikes was it?).

Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:04 PM   #4777
acerx
traveling the world

Likes (Received): 26

when is the official start ceremonie? and the first stone laying?
acerx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:13 PM   #4778
patrykus

Ground breaking ceremony is more of an chinese tradition I think. There very well might be none, if there is one it could take place at April 1st since we had some news lately that "construction" starts that day but we know that technically it already started some time ago.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:25 PM   #4779
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

call me a party pooper, but i am not sure 'if you build it, they will come' will work in saudi arabia.

i find it hard to see an incentive in being there in the first place.

thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:58 PM   #4780
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAbd0o View Post
Look a few pages back
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest