daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 26th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #4901
Axel_F

Likes (Received): 137

I like skyscrapers with integrated spire. Skyscrapers with flat roof and then a spire looks not very nice. If they would cut the Burj Khalifa or Kingdom Tower at the last occupied floor it would be a horrible design. So the architecture of Kindom Tower is great to reach the next limit - with or without occupied floors up to the spire. Want to see more than 1km!

ThatOneGuy, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Axel_F no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #4902
Damo
Damien McBarron

Likes (Received): 438

Slightly Off Topic but, one day (2100AD?) This could be a third way to create the Tallest Structure (instead of the 'Needle' type or Stretched Conventional-type). I realise, at the moment, it's not technically possible & could cost Trillions but, as I say, One Day(?)........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimizu_Mega-City_Pyramid

Here's my roughly located, speculative model of The 2km tall pyramid.......
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...b896&result=12

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Damo; March 26th, 2013 at 03:27 AM.
Damo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #4903
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel_F View Post
So the architecture of Kindom Tower is great to reach the next limit - with or without occupied floors up to the spire. Want to see more than 1km!
True but IMO watching nakheel tower rising would be as twice as epic as this - even with the same height Kingdom Tower is great (definitely in my top 5 at the moment) but it's quite a deja vu really. It's basically a taller version of burj khalifa with sloped walls. Just imagine how awesome it would be if the next tallest offered completely new design to discover. Boy I guess I still can't get over over the cancellation of nt - such an opportunity wasted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo View Post
Slightly Off Topic but, one day (2100AD?) This could be a third way to create the Tallest Structure (instead of the 'Needle' type or Stretched Conventional-type). I realise, at the moment, it's not technically possible & could cost Trillions but, as I say, One Day(?)........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimizu_Mega-City_Pyramid

Here's my roughly located, speculative model of The 2km tall pyramid.......
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...b896&result=12

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-a...Earth+snapshot
Actually I think pyramids are rather easy to build (that's why already Egyptians used that shape). Thing is though they requires tremendous amounts of materials and time to build. Today nobody will wait 50 years for the project completion or spend hundreds of billions, if not more, for it. I guess structures like that will be possible as soon as fast fully automatic construction is available so yeah that's further future we are talking about but sooner or later such structures will be build most likely by governments in extremely dense areas like Japan, Singapore or Kuwait. This or they will start reclaiming land on a massive scale, but that too can't be done for long.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #4904
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
There are needles and NEEDLES I think you can see the difference.

And while the cost is a factor, obviously, developers still builds all kinds of buildings from aimed solely on height breaking burj khalifa like structures to extremely efficient boxy office towers like wtc twins depending on the goal the investors want to achieve. So don't lie to people it's TECHNICALLY impossible while even one of the record breakers was much more usable for it's height.
LOL, Nakheel Tower is a hollow tower, empty at the middle, and with the thick side load-bearing walls, I doubt there was more efficent use of space, despite a possible higher top occupied floor.

And there is no lie in my previous statement. There is a cost factor level in enginering, the point where it makes no economical sense to even start.
I can cheat you blind.

minichori, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #4905
patrykus

Nakheel tower comprises of 4 towers rising without any tapering to the 80% of its height and then you have still some observation decks above it. As we speak about the space its clear nt have it more but you don't have to rely on my guessing. According to ctbuh nt was to offer tremendous 900k square meters of gfa compared to kingdom tower's 250k.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old March 26th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #4906
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
True but IMO watching nakheel tower rising would be as twice as epic as this - even with the same height Kingdom Tower is great (definitely in my top 5 at the moment) but it's quite a deja vu really. It's basically a taller version of burj khalifa with sloped walls. Just imagine how awesome it would be if the next tallest offered completely new design to discover.
Well, with this I agree
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #4907
patrykus

You don't have to agree with the rest really, numbers will defend themselves even if you deny them

Old March 26th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #4908
patrykus

Btw good news everyone Google Earth just updated satellite image of the plot

It says 1/22/2013

Great job Google Earth. Hopefully they will do better job with the kt than bk and we will have full documentary of the construction seen from space

Old March 26th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #4909
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

it won't be update now for 2 years

KillerZavatar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #4910
patrykus

haha We'll see But I have to say it looks much better already. If you look back in the time-frame tool in 2012 there is update for each few months - rather good considering the tower wasn't even u'c then officially

Old March 27th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #4911
mauriziop
malmustus

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingdomTower View Post
I hope for new pictures from the site
likeit

mauriziop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 03:51 AM   #4912
ricfer10

Likes (Received): 17

Ubicacion exacta de la torre

Si ponen atencion sobre el terreno veran la ubicacion exacta del edificio y su perimetro:
ricfer10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #4913
ricfer10

Ubicacion exacta de la torre

Me falto incluir en el post anterior que es posible ver el perimetro de la torre en la actualizacion de imagenes de GoogleEarth.
Old March 27th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #4914
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricfer10 View Post
Si ponen atencion sobre el terreno veran la ubicacion exacta del edificio y su perimetro:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricfer10 View Post
Me falto incluir en el post anterior que es posible ver el perimetro de la torre en la actualizacion de imagenes de GoogleEarth.

Please use English in the English thread

4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #4915
ricfer10

Exact location of the tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
Please use English in the English thread
Exact location of the tower
If you pay attention On The Ground will see the exact location of the building and its perimeter in GoogleEarth
If you pay attention On The Ground will see the exact location of the building and its perimeter in GoogleEarth
Old March 27th, 2013, 04:38 AM   #4916
cmj2k2

Likes (Received): 7

no way the saudis are building this. updates anyone?
Old March 27th, 2013, 04:42 AM   #4917
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Really

ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #4918
Funfy

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
it won't be update now for 2 years
it's okay,... in two years it won't look much different

Funfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #4919
patrykus

oh it will

Old March 27th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #4920
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6534

Quote:
oh it will
Yes, alot. In 2 years this thing is rising. Probably above 100m tall already.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest