daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 30th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #4961
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

People do for business all the time
I can cheat you blind.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #4962
flashinglights

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcliff View Post
forgive me for this off topic question....
saudi arabia wants the tallest building...but I think the government doesn't care the human rights...
at least the workers are allowed to come in to the country and work. other countries would not even let the workers in.

if you want human rights to all then you need to throw out all your tvs, cd players, computers, iphones, plastics because these are all made with cheap labour. but no one thinks about that do they, because they are not confronted with it. it is hidden.
flashinglights no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #4963
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
People do for business all the time
And how is that relevant?
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #4964
ldavid

Likes (Received): 2

Visits to Saudi Arabia

People do visit Saudi Arabia and Jeddah in particular if you are Muslim and on pilgimage to Mecca. So they are non business visits, and are classed as tourist visits by the authorities.
So - yes it does happen and as the airport capacity is increased, the capacity for people to visit both holy sites within Mecca and Madinah are increased, so there will also be more "tourists" coming to Jeddah.
Whether the authorities relax their restrictions on allowing western tourists is still questionable, but I could not see it happening for many years.
ldavid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #4965
xAbd0o
(j)r(j)-p꜂(t)

Likes (Received): 1090

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
We talked about this many times already so I'm not going into details here again as this is offtopic but I wonder if there is at least a single person here who visited jeddah or any place in saudi arabia on an individual tourist trip? Anyone?
Jeddah is not exactly a touristic city but that doesn't stop people from visiting it or other reasons. However I have visited the city myself several times and I'm not Saudi.
xAbd0o no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #4966
patrykus

Guys I clearly stated that that I meant individual tourist trips. Does any of you have visited recently saudi as not a pilgrim, businessman, employee or on a group trip strictly organized by the travel agency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavid View Post
Whether the authorities relax their restrictions on allowing western tourists is still questionable, but I could not see it happening for many years.
Now that's exactly what I was talking about.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old March 30th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #4967
æthær

Likes (Received): 37

I don't think that it's even possible to visit Saudi Arabia as a tourist. There is only a "visitor visum" which you can only get if you receive an invitation by a Saudi Arabian citizen. As far as I konw, single women aren't allowed to enter Saudia Arabia generally.

There might be a few travel agencies which offer "private" trips, however, I haven''t found one yet and they are certainly very restricted. If you are non-Arab, then it's probably very difficult to enter Saudi Arabia legally.

Any non-muslimic Westerner who has visited Saudi Arabia as a tourist?

patrykus liked this post
æthær no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #4968
æthær

Likes (Received): 37

With all their oil resources and the Muslim pilgrims, they are probably not very dependant on Western tourists like the UAE.
æthær no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #4969
patrykus

True that. If there's no problem filling huge malls of mecca there also shouldn't be much of a problem filling malls near the kingdom tower. With all those pilgrims annually surely many of them will make side trip to see the tallest tower which is just tens of kilometers from mecca. They don't really need western tourists - rather sad news for all of us non-Muslim skyscraper funs because that probably means they are not in a hurry to change their visa policy.

Although if there was a will to invite the westerners it shouldn't be to hard technically since they are all pretty much big family there. Saudi's king is Al Waleed's uncle for gods sake

æthær, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old March 30th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #4970
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
We talked about this many times already so I'm not going into details here again as this is offtopic but I wonder if there is at least a single person here who visited jeddah or any place in saudi arabia on an individual tourist trip? Anyone?
Friends work in the ME and KSA. They have work visas. There are no Tourist Visas to the KSA. You must get an invite letter from someone to go to work there or go on Hajj and Umrah.

IOW, you or I cannot go to the KSA, request a Tourist Visa, get a rental car, check into a hotel, and then drive to the site to see it. We would need to work there and be there on a work invite letter.

That's my understanding of the KSA visa process...

Business Visit Visa
Diplomatic And Official Visa
Employment Visa
Extension of Exit/Re-Entry Visa
Family Visit Visa
Government Visit Visa
Residence Visa
Student Visa
Transit Visa
Temporary Work visa
Hajj Visa
Umrah Visa

China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #4971
patrykus

Yeah I know. I was interested about the availability of tourist visa's and I already checked that some years ago.

Well we may never have the chance of visiting the tower in person but at least we have this thread

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #4972
K.S.A
Jeddah Tower Lover

Likes (Received): 4363

i can't wait please pics...

K.S.A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #4973
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

It really sucks that in the 21st century you can't visit a country as a tourist. I hate traveling so it isn't really a problem to me but I can imagine many folks are upset about this. And the recent skyscraper boom over there makes many people from this forum to join these upset people

bozenBDJ, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #4974
Braillard
自由至上主義者

Likes (Received): 391

Feels akward to think that I could visit North Korea, but that I may never be able to visit Saudi Arabia...
Saudi Arabia is worse than North Korea when it comes to "freedom of tourism/travelling".
We tend to forget that KSA is far from being a democracy.

bozenBDJ liked this post
Braillard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #4975
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

So we're looking at 670m for the highest occupied floor. I'd say with those rumors of been asked by the client to add a few more floors, it could be about 700m. Floor heights are 4m high.
http://www.ctbuh.org/TallBuildings/F...S/Default.aspx
Old March 31st, 2013, 12:47 AM   #4976
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
So we're looking at 670m for the highest occupied floor. I'd say with those rumors of been asked by the client to add a few more floors, it could be about 700m. Floor heights are 4m high.
http://www.ctbuh.org/TallBuildings/F...S/Default.aspx
Many thx for posting .

I really hope they'll increase the number of floors to 170+
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 01:23 AM   #4977
xAbd0o
(j)r(j)-p꜂(t)

Quote:
Guys I clearly stated that that I meant individual tourist trips. Does any of you have visited recently saudi as not a pilgrim, businessman, employee or on a group trip strictly organized by the travel agency?
Yea, and I clearly state that it's not very touristic. Doesn't mean that you can't go there.
Old March 31st, 2013, 02:39 AM   #4978
patrykus

So you're saying you was there on an individual tourist visa without a travel agency? Of what nationality you are?

This is what stands for polish citizens, and I believe it's the same for most western countries:

"Tourist visas are issued only to members of organized and pre-approved groups realizing strictly fixed program."

So no I can't visit it as any other country unless I'm willing to spend week or two riding from point A to B with bunch of strangers in a bus not being able to chose when and what to see. And mind you I even have to find this group of strangers because if there is no group there is no trip - During one of my past "googlings" I once saw announcement of a guy looking for others joining so the trip could even take place.

Last edited by patrykus; March 31st, 2013 at 03:08 AM.
Old March 31st, 2013, 03:24 AM   #4979
xAbd0o
(j)r(j)-p꜂(t)

No, all I'm saying is that Saudi Arabia isn't open for tourists. I don't think they even have tourist visas anymore. But that doesn't mean you can't go there as some claims.
Old March 31st, 2013, 03:42 AM   #4980
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAbd0o View Post
No, all I'm saying is that Saudi Arabia isn't open for tourists. I don't think they even have tourist visas anymore. But that doesn't mean you can't go there as some claims.
So there you have it. Saying "you can go there" is like suggesting that everyone can which is obviously a lie because along with probably most of the forumers reading this thread I can't. And I can't see anybody saying that nobody can go there (there is probably no such country in the world), we are obviously talking about the tourism.

Last edited by patrykus; March 31st, 2013 at 04:00 AM.

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest