daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2013, 04:38 AM   #4981
Riyadh Crusher

Likes (Received): 2295

UK-based joint venture made responsible for $1.2bn budget as Omnium appointed Quantity Surveyor.

28 March 2013

EC Harris and Mace will be responsible for ensuring the world’s tallest skyscraper hits its $1.2bn budget and is built on time, the developer of the kilometre-tall Kingdom Tower in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, has said.The UK-based joint venture - appointed last month, as revealed exclusively in Building – will take “total control” of ensuring the project hits its $1.2bn (£800m) budget and 63-month deadline, Waleed Batterjee, chief executive officer of developer Jeddah Economic Company (JEC), said.If successful, Kingdom Tower will be delivered faster and cheaper than the current tallest building in the world, the 828m-tall Burj Khalifa in Dubai, completed in 72 months for $1.5bn (£1bn).Speaking to Building, Batterjee said he was “very confident” the EC Harris and Mace-guided project team would hit the project’s budget and deadline.Batterjee also revealed that JEC has re-appointed UK-based Omnium as quantity surveyor on the project.Omnium previously worked on the scheme and re-secured the contract after it was re-tendered by JEC.Omnium was founded in 1962 and carries out most of its work in the Middle East. It acted as quantity surveyor on the Burj Khalifa.Batterjee said that EC Harris and Mace would act as “owner’s representative” on Kingdom Tower. “Everything has to go through EC Harris and Mace before it comes to me,” he said.The UK-based joint venture will guide the rest of the project team through supervision consultant Dar Al-Handasah.Dar Al-Handasah is the only firm sanctioned to direct the project’s contractor Saudi Binladin Group, Batterjee said.The project’s architect is US-based Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture, the structural engineer is US-based Thornton Tomasetti and the piling contractor is Saudi Bauer.Batterjee said EC Harris and Mace would be required to make up for extra expense incurred at the piling stage by cutting costs during the above-ground works.The piling work will involve drilling the world’s deepest piles at 105m below ground.He said the primary reason why he felt confident the project would be delivered on time and on budget was down to contractor Saudi Binladin’s expertise.Nabil Batrawi, Saudi Binladin’s project manager on the 601m-tall Abraj Al-Bait clock tower in nearby Mecca, has transferred to lead the Kingdom Tower project.Batterjee added that the project, which is bring driven by Prince Al Waleed bin Talal, would create hundreds of local jobs.***C Harris and Mace to ensure Kingdom Tower hits targets.

http://www.building.co.uk/news/ec-ha...052346.article

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Riyadh Crusher no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:26 AM   #4982
Future Cities
BANNED

Likes (Received): 35

Emmar's Alabbar keen to build 1km plus tower in Asia

Emaar chairman Mohamed Alabbar is looking at plans to build a 1km plus tower in Asia, Arabian Business can reveal.

In an interview to be published on Sunday in the magazine, Alabbar, the man behind the world's current tallest tower, the Burj Khalifa, said: “Of course I want to. I am looking. I have a wish. I will try.”

Saudi Arabia’s Prince Alwaleed is currently developing the 1km high Kingdom Tower in Jeddah, which is set to take the Burj Khalifa’s crown.
However, Alabbar said his own project would be “a little taller” than the one in Jeddah.

A location in Asia has already been identified and preliminary drawings done, Alabbar said.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/alabb...ia-495887.html

Munwon liked this post

Last edited by Future Cities; March 31st, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
Future Cities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:28 AM   #4983
mtsbjm1
a.c.r

Likes (Received): 485

hopefully this time they choose the site somewhere in South Asia since this region is have a growing amount of tourists and business opportunities

Instagram account
mtsbjm1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:06 AM   #4984
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Cities View Post
Emaar chairman Mohamed Alabbar is looking at plans to build a 1km plus tower in Asia, Arabian Business can reveal.

In an interview to be published on Sunday in the magazine, Alabbar, the man behind the world's current tallest tower, the Burj Khalifa, said: “Of course I want to. I am looking. I have a wish. I will try.”

Saudi Arabia’s Prince Alwaleed is currently developing the 1km high Kingdom Tower in Jeddah, which is set to take the Burj Khalifa’s crown.
However, Alabbar said his own project would be “a little taller” than the one in Jeddah.

That sounds good . Can't wait to hear more from that
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 12:34 PM   #4985
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

I wonder if that new project Emaar is talking about and Azerbaijan Tower may be the same thing? They call it "their own" tower though so I'm not sure, but how many different new tallest may pop out in asia? Soon this title will not be that special if new towers will pop out every few years
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 01:09 PM   #4986
압둘라-爱- LOVE
'대한민국'

Likes (Received): 1691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braillard View Post
Feels akward to think that I could visit North Korea, but that I may never be able to visit Saudi Arabia...
Saudi Arabia is worse than North Korea when it comes to "freedom of tourism/travelling".
We tend to forget that KSA is far from being a democracy.

if you never visit saudi arabia ... how do you know everything about saudi arabic !!! or you are sorcerer !

abukhaled, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
압둘라-爱- LOVE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 01:14 PM   #4987
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
I wonder if that new project Emaar is talking about and Azerbaijan Tower may be the same thing? They call it "their own" tower though so I'm not sure, but how many different new tallest may pop out in asia? Soon this title will not be that special if new towers will pop out every few years
at least i hope we'll get a handful of 1000m+ towers in the next 10 years. But real projects like we've it with 600m+ towers at the moment, not just visions.
Old March 31st, 2013, 09:34 PM   #4988
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Jakarta, Indonesia? Didn't such proposal, with Emaar's involvement popped up some years back?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:07 PM   #4989
patrykus

Jakarta is known of proposing much but building none of it's huge projects. But who knows maybe they will finally build something. One project with the involvement of emaar that I remember is actually kingdom tower but it doesn't seem as they are involved in any way at the moment.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old April 1st, 2013, 02:25 AM   #4990
Clone

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAbd0o View Post
Last time I checked Jeddah is open for everyone. Nd I'm sure they have an international airport for a reason.

I find that a bit rich to say, so the human rights thing is irrelevant when you're trading and building bases in SA but it's relevant when they're building towers? We live in a diverse world, people have different believes, opinions, cultures and traditions get over it.
I know this is off topic but a culture not respecting human rights is a culture that does not deserve any respect. So what you say about diverse believes and cultures is true but does not apply to human rights, we should never "get over" that.

PinkFloyd, Taller London, Kanto, bozenBDJ liked this post
Clone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 02:54 AM   #4991
xAbd0o
(j)r(j)-p꜂(t)

Likes (Received): 1090

Quote:
So there you have it. Saying "you can go there" is like suggesting that everyone can which is obviously a lie because along with probably most of the forumers reading this thread I can't. And I can't see anybody saying that nobody can go there (there is probably no such country in the world), we are obviously talking about the tourism.
No, you can still go and anyone can, there is no restriction. What I'm saying is that you wouldn't go not because you can't or you're not allowed it because there is not much you can do there as a tourist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
I know this is off topic but a culture not respecting human rights is a culture that does not deserve any respect. So what you say about diverse believes and cultures is true but does not apply to human rights, we should never "get over" that.
Yea I suggestion taking this convo somewhere else. But what I was saying is that the definition of a human right itself vary so your point is moot since according to their culture what they're doing is complies with their rules of human rights so they're not disrespecting anything in the first place.
xAbd0o no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 03:08 AM   #4992
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

Alabbar keen to build 1km plus tower in Asia, Taller than Kingdom Tower

آخر تحديث: الأحد 19 جمادي الأول 1434هـ - 31 مارس 2013م KSA 15:51 - GMT 12:51
"إعمار" تعتزم بناء أطول برج في العالم بارتفاع 1000 متر
محمد العبَار أبلغ مجلة "آربيان بيزنس" بالانتهاء من الرسوم المبدئية للمشروع

http://www.alarabiya.net/ar/aswaq/re...;ر-.html

العربية.نت -
قال رئيس مجلس إدارة شركة إعمار الإماراتية محمد العبار في حديث مع مجلة "آربيان بيزنس" إن الشركة تدرس خطط بناء أطول برج في العالم بطول كيلو متر في آسيا.
ومن المنتظر أن يكون البرج الجديد الذي تعتزم إعمار بناءه أعلى من برج المملكة القابضة المقرر بناؤه في مدينة جدة.
وقال العبار إن المشروع الجديد سيكون "أطول قليلا" من برج المملكة في جدة.
ويصل طول برج خليفة الأطول في العالم والذي شيدته "إعمار" العقارية وافتتح في 4 يناير 2010، نحو 828 متراً.
وأضاف العبار "نعم كنت أريد أن أحاول. ولكن الأمر يختلف تماما لأن السلامة مهمة جداً، ولا بد من التأكد أنها تتم على نحو صحيح".
وقد تم تحديد الرسوم المبدئية للمشروع، وفقاً للعبار.

He said: “The answer is yes I want to try. It is quite a task with safety issues and making sure it is done right. It’s typical human progress. We have done fabulous stuff here; we know what the value is.”
A location in Asia has already been identified and preliminary drawings done, Alabbar said.
Asked whether it was likely to happen, Alabbar said: “I would like that, it would be very special.”
Emaar has undergone a resurgence in the past year with its share price rising by more than 80 percent.
The 2012 results showed an 18 percent rise in net profits to $577m from $2.24bn of revenue.
The shopping malls and retail side of the business accounted for $740m in revenue last year – a 27 percent increase on the previous year.

GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 03:18 AM   #4993
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

sweet great news. a little competition is always nice As much as i like Kingdom Tower, the shorter it will be the tallest building in the world the better :p

KillerZavatar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:06 AM   #4994
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAbd0o View Post
No, you can still go and anyone can, there is no restriction. What I'm saying is that you wouldn't go not because you can't or you're not allowed it because there is not much you can do there as a tourist.
Okay... so how exactly I can go there if I can't get tourist visa?

Old April 1st, 2013, 12:11 PM   #4995
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post

sweet great news. a little competition is always nice As much as i like Kingdom Tower, the shorter it will be the tallest building in the world the better :p
Agree

can't wait to see a design here . hopefully this has the chance to be the first tower with 200 habitable floors
Old April 1st, 2013, 12:38 PM   #4996
patrykus

He said though that it will be only "little taller" than Kingdom Tower so I'm not so sure if we can expect 200 floors. Also from his tone it looks like it's not certain yet whether the tower will be build at all. Whatever happens I only hope it won't be another burj coppy, especially just a little taller than kt - that would be kinda pointless.

Old April 1st, 2013, 02:07 PM   #4997
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
He said though that it will be only "little taller" than Kingdom Tower so I'm not so sure if we can expect 200 floors. Also from his tone it looks like it's not certain yet whether the tower will be build at all. Whatever happens I only hope it won't be another burj coppy, especially just a little taller than kt - that would be kinda pointless.
don't say that, it depends on the design. without a 300m tall spire it can reach 200 floors easily.
Old April 1st, 2013, 02:20 PM   #4998
patrykus

True but we know what shape emaar likes the most

Old April 1st, 2013, 03:17 PM   #4999
æthær

Likes (Received): 37

I wonder how they want to design the tower to be "only a little bit higher than Kingdom Tower" if the height of the Kingdom Tower is still not known yet.
æthær no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 03:25 PM   #5000
patrykus

It very well may be designed by the same company as kt so they should know alright

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest