daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #5401
jihada

Likes (Received): 3

I really dont see the point as no tourists are allowed in Saudi Arabia, someone from inside the country has to invite you. And women forget about visiting, you can't go by yourself without your husband or a close relative. And yes you have to cover yourself completely. So basically this thing will be just for men.

PS: Oh yeah, you can't drink too, alcohol is prohibited in Saudi Arabia...
jihada no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #5402
ChibaTadayoshi
Penikmat Arsitektur

Likes (Received): 1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by jihada View Post
I really dont see the point as no tourists are allowed in Saudi Arabia, someone from inside the country has to invite you. And women forget about visiting, you can't go by yourself without your husband or a close relative. And yes you have to cover yourself completely. So basically this thing will be just for men.

up to 2 million people come to SA for Hajj pilgrimage in Hajj month and millions more for Umrah pilgrimage in other month all year long is a lot of tourist.

most of them come via port and airport in Jeddah.

the Saudis have different concept of tourism, but they still tourists.
ChibaTadayoshi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #5403
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29057

Quote:
Originally Posted by jihada View Post

Exactly another reason not to build this tower there! Unless they changed the rules to fit tourism. anyways this is my opinion and I am not trying to offend anyone.

Peace
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #5404
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
but all I see discussions and comments about the truth of it being U/C
Yes, because of people like you

And don't worry, there will be enough pics in the future. When burj kalifa started construction there were almost no pics too.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 01:16 AM   #5405
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibaTadayoshi View Post
the Saudis have different concept of tourism, but they still tourists.
Pilgrims are pilgrims, and tourists are tourists. I wouldn't confuse these terms. But I agree kingdom tower can probably pay for itself just from millions of pilgrims visiting it annually.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

erbse, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #5406
Nahemah
scaredy-cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Pilgrims are pilgrims, and tourists are tourists. I wouldn't confuse these terms. But I agree kingdom tower can probably pay for itself just from millions of pilgrims visiting it annually.
People traveling for pilgrimage, missionary purposes are tourists. Mecca, Jerusalem you name it.
Nahemah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #5407
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

... or Vatican city on Sundays, or other special days
I can cheat you blind.

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #5408
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

Quote:
pilgrims consume local food and stay in hotels. they do exactly what tourists do. visit things they are interested in and bring money to these places. i don't see a huge difference between pilgrims and tourists.

Highcliff, Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #5409
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
pilgrims consume local food and stay in hotels. they do exactly what tourists do. visit things they are interested in and bring money to these places. i don't see a huge difference between pilgrims and tourists.
Pilgrims also take pictures of supertalls being built!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #5410
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
Here's one: you need restricted hajj visa to became one. Businessman eat food and also stays in hotels but you don't call them tourists do you? What define a tourist is goal of the trip which for pilgrims are holy sites not entertainment.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old May 26th, 2013, 12:46 AM   #5411
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Pilgrims also take pictures of supertalls being built!
Hopefully

Old May 26th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #5412
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
Here's one: you need restricted hajj visa to became one. Businessman eat food and also stays in hotels but you don't call them tourists do you? What define a tourist is goal of the trip which for pilgrims are holy sites not entertainment.
tourists can also go to a city with a famous cathedral, then they also visit a holy site. and pilgrims can also visit other things in the city and not only the holy sites. pilgrims use their free time to visit places they have personal interest in, just like tourists. but it is off topic anyways.

FM 2258, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #5413
patrykus

Lets put it this way: pilgrim or businessman may also be a tourist but all three terms are not interchangeable.

Old May 26th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #5414
AltinD
The Modecator

They ALL are counted as tourists in statistics, how can't you know that?
I can cheat you blind.

Old May 26th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #5415
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

yet there is no "tourist"-word for business men, for pilgrims there is...

edit: there is a business tourism article on wikipedia, nevermind

Last edited by KillerZavatar; May 26th, 2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old May 26th, 2013, 02:10 AM   #5416
patrykus

Well then it also should be for business man - say business tourism, or transit tourism

It's still just a religious tourism not a classic one. All I know is I'm a classic tourist and there's no tourist visa for me. Or for you or for anyone who wish visiting sa for anything else than pilgrimage.

Old May 26th, 2013, 02:33 AM   #5417
AltinD
The Modecator

I can arrange a business visa if I'd want to
I can cheat you blind.

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 26th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #5418
patrykus

Yeah you and 0,01% of people can do it. Truth is it's easier to get to north korea than sa.

Old May 26th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #5419
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Well then it also should be for business man - say business tourism, or transit tourism

It's still just a religious tourism not a classic one. All I know is I'm a classic tourist and there's no tourist visa for me. Or for you or for anyone who wish visiting sa for anything else than pilgrimage.
You are right that it is possible and useful to distinguish between religious pilgrim and tourists. However the term tourist is also commonly used to collectively refer to people who visit a country for non-business purposes. That's a common linguistic phenomenon, the fact that words can have multiple meanings and that categorical terms can have different scopes depending on usage. For our discussion here, tourism is a proper and useful term to describe people visiting for religious purposes.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #5420
patrykus

It just doesn't feel right calling pilgrims tourists to me. I'm sure they wouldn't like to be called tourists either. But if you people are fine discussing tourism in country that doesn't even have tourist visa let it be your way.

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest