daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 16th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #5501
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

Where is that building and what is it called?

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #5502
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8231

he linked the wikipedia page to it. it is a quite famous building though, you might have been confused that it is U/C in the photo he posted
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #5503
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

yeah...probably.

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #5504
Riyadh Crusher

Likes (Received): 2295

Prince Alwaleed happy with 1km tower progress.

Saudi billionaire Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Bin Abdulaziz Alsaud has said plans to build the world's tallest tower in Jeddah are on schedule.
Plans were unveiled 18 months ago by Prince Alwaleed as the centrepiece to the Kingdom City development in Jeddah, a major Red Sea port.
The chairman of Kingdom Holding Company (KHC) headed the fourth board of directors meeting of Jeddah Economic Company in Riyadh were members were updated on the status on the $1.2bn 1,000m high project.
Waleed Batterjee, CEO, Jeddah Economic Company, briefed the board about progress of the piling works being done by Saudi Bauer Company.

The board also reviewed memoranda of understanding relating to infrastructure and services for the project including electricity, water and district cooling.
Board members also expressed their satisfaction of how the project is progressing and the piling works taking place as the first stage of starting the tower works.
In February, it was announced that the builder of The Shard skyscraper in London will be the project manager for the 1,000m Kingdom Tower skyscraper.
Mace will manage the development in a joint venture with construction consultant EC Harris, part of Dutch group Arcadis, and the tower will be built by Saudi construction firm Bin Laden Group.
The tower's height will exceed a kilometre - precisely by how much is a secret but the structure will take over from Dubai's 828m tall Burj Khalifa as the world's tallest skyscraper.
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/princ...ss-505351.html
Riyadh Crusher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #5505
Chibears85
MEOW!

Likes (Received): 669

I just figured out that my friend lives in Jeddah, the day he is moving away from jeddah... what an opportunity we could of had to have pictures of this :/
Old June 16th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #5506
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Finally some update people.

Just posted by Abdullah-atta in saudi section. Originally published at alriyadh.com.

PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Gudavalli, Munwon, Swiddle, CACHO_RC, K.S.A and 5 others liked this post
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #5507
Rody69

Likes (Received): 1918

These photos are 2 weeks old , or maybe older...

I was on site today, there was a big tower crane installed, the "foot print" of the tower started to take shape (I believe that the next satellite imagery for the site is going to show this particular point).
On the other hand, I was prohibited to take close pictures as there were marks next to finished piles and they show details about the "point" as the site engineer calls it.
I promise a good update soon...

sgollis, Munwon, patrykus, 4npower, K.S.A and 2 others liked this post
Rody69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #5508
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rody69 View Post

I was on site today, there was a big tower crane installed, the "foot print" of the tower started to take shape (I believe that the next satellite imagery for the site is going to show this particular point)....
Certainly looks like it's on the way!
Old June 16th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #5509
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

It's an attractive design. But I'll just come right out and say it. This project is completely absurd. There is no reason other than vanity to construct such a tall tower in the middle of nowhere. It wouldn't even make financial sense to build half this tall in New York or Tokyo, where land prices are astronomically high.

And with the proliferation of 2000+ foot skyscraper proposals around the world in even the poorest and little-known third world cities, there's little to no cache for a city to host supertall buildings anymore. They don't bring in additional tourism, spur economic or population growth, or spark foreign investment as they did even 20 years ago. Most of the new ones in the Middle East and China sit virtually empty as colosally tall white elephants.

But I guess Prince Dickweed Al Bin Laden already owns too many jets and Ferraris and solid gold toilets. And what else is there to spend money on when the Middle East is such a perfect utopia? Certainly not on such mundane things as medical or scientific research, better schools and universities, better hospitals, improved infrastructure, etc. So the people of Saudi Arabia will be blessed with this. Oh well, I guess it's better than a new "World's Largest Mall" with a toy store and a jewelry shop and 800 empty storefronts.

Last edited by DFDalton; June 16th, 2013 at 10:06 PM.
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #5510
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3183

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
It's an attractive design. But I'll just come right out and say it. This project is completely absurd. There is no reason other than vanity to construct such a tall tower in the middle of nowhere. It wouldn't even make financial sense to build half this tall in New York or Tokyo, where land prices are astronomically high.

And with the proliferation of 2000+ foot skyscraper proposals around the world in even the poorest and little-known third world cities, there's little to no cache for a city to host supertall buildings anymore. They don't bring in additional tourism, spur economic or population growth, or spark foreign investment as they did even 20 years ago. Most of the new ones in the Middle East and China sit virtually empty as colosally tall white elephants.

But I guess Prince Dickweed Al Bin Laden already owns too many jets and Ferraris and solid gold toilets. And what else is there to spend money on when the Middle East is such a perfect utopia? Certainly not on such mundane things as medical or scientific research, better schools and universities, better hospitals, improved infrastructure, etc. So the people of Saudi Arabia will be blessed with this. Oh well, I guess it's better than a new "World's Largest Mall" with a toy store and a jewelry shop and 800 empty storefronts.
Oh my god dude! You're absolutly right... We should all live in tailer parks and drive to Wal-mart like you. Ubanity is for losers and weirdos.

4npower liked this post
Munwon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 12:33 AM   #5511
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post

What's completely absurd is that you took the time to be the 718th person to let us know that this tower is pointless. I mean really, who cares? Not me. It's not my money soooo. I'm pretty sure nobody that is subscribed to this thread cares either. We just want to see towers go taller and taller. If a billionaire wants to blow his money on a worlds tallest skyscraper, then by all means go right ahead. It advances architecture limits every time one is built, plus we get to enjoy 5+ years of construction pictures and entertainment. Also, he doesn't owe a single penny of his worth to anybody else, so the "people" of Saudi Arabia need to go find some oil or buy up some land and not rely on others to get by in life.

Munwon liked this post
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #5512
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Can't wait for that
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:56 AM   #5513
CACHO_RC

Likes (Received): 46

Finally, i hope this proyect takes speed soon...
Old June 17th, 2013, 06:20 AM   #5514
Riyadh Crusher

Likes (Received): 2295

This could be the inner core of the tower.
Old June 17th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #5515
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Likes (Received): 647

That's what I thought too.
Interesting that it isn't (hexagonally) symmetric. I wonder why one of the corners is shorter.

Complete and T/O Supertalls Map
U/C Supertalls Map
Prep and O/H Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

ZZ-II's World Supertalls List

view my buildings made on Maya
MattTheTubaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #5516
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:

I was on site today, there was a big tower crane installed, the "foot print" of the tower started to take shape (I believe that the next satellite imagery for the site is going to show this particular point).
On the other hand, I was prohibited to take close pictures as there were marks next to finished piles and they show details about the "point" as the site engineer calls it.
Great to hear rody . Can't wait to see fresh pics
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #5517
Rody69

the owners meeting (yesterday)...

Old June 17th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #5518
Rody69

June 16, 2013

HRH Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Bin Abdulaziz Alsaud, chairman of Kingdom Holding Company (KHC), headed the 4th board of directors meeting of Jeddah Economic Company in Riyadh with the board members; Mr. Abdulrahman Hassan Sharbatly, Mr. Saleh Bin Laden, Mr. Samaual Bakhsh and Eng. Talal Almaiman.

In the meeting, Eng. Talal Al Maiman, Executive Director Development and Domestic Investments, Chairman and CEO of Kingdom Real Estate Development Company (KRED), a board member of Kingdom Holding Company and Jeddah Economic Company (JEC) updated the board about the final agreement with the Four Seasons relating to operating the luxury designed hotel in the world’s tallest tower which will be more than 1000 meters high with value of SR 4.6 billion.

Eng. Waleed Batterjee, Chief Executive Officer, Jeddah Economic Company (JEC) briefed the board about the status of the project and presented them with the progress of the piling works being done by Saudi Bauer Company. The board also reviewed Memoranda of Understanding relating to infrastructure and services for the project including electricity, water and district cooling.

Arch. Hassan Abdulrahman Sharbatly updated the board about the negotiation with the project management companies additional to the existing project engineers; Dar Alhandasah.

The Board confirmed discussion regarding all the services and infrastructure required for the site & Kingdom City Jeddah. The Board has also expressed their satisfaction of how the project is progressing and the piling works taking place as the first stage of starting the tower works.

The meeting was also attended by, Mr. Shadi Sanbar, Kingdom Holding Company board member and CFO, Mr. Mohamed Fahmy, Deputy CFO, Kingdom Holding Company, Mr. Sadik Afzal from Abrar Holding Company, Mr. Naiem Waziri of Saudi Bin Laden Group, Mr. Majid Al Toukhi, Director of Business Development & Operations, Kingdom Real Estate Development Company (KRED), Mr. Bashar Kayyali, Consultant to Kingdom Real Estate Development Company (KRED) and Mr. Fahad Bin Saad Bin Nafel, Executive Assistant to HRH the Chairman.

K.S.A, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Rody69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #5519
DAMAC

Likes (Received): 246

Old June 17th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #5520
Rody69

Just left the site

An extended detailed update will be here in few hours

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest