daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #5921
Mario_Giovannetti
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1874

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkYsCrApEr2013 View Post
I wonder what it will be surpassed by...
That is a good question. I wonder how feasible, from a financial point of view, it is to build anything taller than 500 or 600 meters. To be quite honest, it would be very interesting to learn how good of a business would be for a developer to build something this tall or even taller, other than wanting to claim the Worldīs Tallest title.

But Iīm sure, someone else will come up with a gigantic new project in the not so far future that will make the Kingdom Tower like a toddler.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Mario_Giovannetti no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #5922
silent_dragon
What a wonderful world

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_Giovannetti View Post
That is a good question. I wonder how feasible, from a financial point of view, it is to build anything taller than 500 or 600 meters. To be quite honest, it would be very interesting to learn how good of a business would be for a developer to build something this tall or even taller, other than wanting to claim the Worldīs Tallest title.

But Iīm sure, someone else will come up with a gigantic new project in the not so far future that will make the Kingdom Tower like a toddler.
Yeah probably will be built in the middle of desert again. With people who have lots of oil money.

Got computing brains or extra bucks? Support this Green tech INDIEGOGO Project Paperless Receipts

Last edited by silent_dragon; August 20th, 2013 at 04:25 AM.
silent_dragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #5923
Judgejudy123
Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_dragon View Post
Yeah probably will be be built in the middle of desert again. With people who have lots of oil money.
Yep, but IMO I suppose that that's the only place where they would be able to build it, because in Europe it would not look very good and would stick out like a sore thumb, in Africa no, because they don't really have the money, in America maybe, so it's probably the place to build it...

LONDON

Judgejudy123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #5924
Sheridan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Chinese may announce and build one quicker than we'd expect.
Old August 18th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #5925
Mario_Giovannetti
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgejudy123 View Post
Yep, but IMO I suppose that that's the only place where they would be able to build it, because in Europe it would not look very good and would stick out like a sore thumb, in Africa no, because they don't really have the money, in America maybe, so it's probably the place to build it...
I just donīt think a building this tall would make a lot of financial sense in Europe or America. Even in a city like New York or Chicago, but then again, Iīm just guessing.

To me, a building like this one is probably more of a trophy for those who decide to build them, since they want to make a statement...itīs no coincidence that many of the new supertalls are popping up in emerging countries such as China, South Korea, India, and of course the Middle East region.

Mario_Giovannetti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #5926
fast_fokker

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
I just donīt think a building this tall would make a lot of financial sense in Europe or America. Even in a city like New York or Chicago, but then again, Iīm just guessing.

I'm wondering why you would think or guess the above??? Is it based on facts or is it based on some petty bias?

If it is based on facts, would you mind sharing those with us?

Let's face it, would you have said the same thing about the Sears/Willis tower in 1970, the WTC in 1971, or even the Empire State Building in 1929?

Probably didn't make a lot of financial sense in 1929 to those who pooh poo'd such feats back then.

fast_fokker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #5927
Judgejudy123
Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_fokker View Post
I'm wondering why you would think or guess the above??? Is it based on facts or is it based on some petty bias?

Let's face it, would you have said the same thing about the Sears/Willis tower in 1970, the WTC in 1971, or even the Empire State Building in 1929?

Probably didn't make a lot of financial sense in 1929 to those who pooh poo'd such feats back then.
It wouldn't look good in a place like new york, you can see what a huge impact WTC has had on the skyline, just imagine a tower double that size in the skyline.. It would ruin the New Yorks skyline..

LONDON

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Azuro liked this post
Judgejudy123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #5928
Mario_Giovannetti
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_fokker View Post

I do feasibility studies and market research for a living, and in my experience, which includes having worked in projects in the US, Canada, Europe and Latin America, is not that simple to justify building a construction of that size.

Even in a good economy, U.S. and European developers are a lot more practical and analytical when it comes to building a skyscraper or a highrise, and taking the risk of developing a building that might actually be half empty is a scary proposition for most US or European investors.

In the Middle East they use oil money to build a lot of these projects.

If we use logic, I donīt think a city like Dubai, which has a population of only 2 million people, would really need so many gigantic buildings, especially when many of them are half empty.

Btw, I am not biased towards any particular country, Iīm just using my experience as a consultant.
Old August 20th, 2013, 02:12 AM   #5929
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgejudy123

It wouldn't look good in a place like new york, you can see what a huge impact WTC has had on the skyline, just imagine a tower double that size in the skyline.. It would ruin the New Yorks skyline..
Not necessarily. Remember, ESB once stuck out quite a lot too. I agree that it would look too tall and dominate the skyline right now, but that might not always be the case. In either case, I don't think we will see anything this tall in NYC soon anyway.

Judgejudy123, KillerZavatar liked this post
Blue Flame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #5930
fast_fokker

Quote:
I do feasibility studies and market research for a living, and in my experience, which includes having worked in projects in the US, Canada, Europe and Latin America, is not that simple to justify building a construction of that size.

Sure, happy to see some of your data that would support your hypothesis in this instance.

I too was a financial analyst in a previous life, and there was one thing that I learned very early in that profession, was that no matter how much I believed some thing could or could not be so, someone out there had a differing view and came to a different conclusion.

I reckon you lost a lot of credibility with the statement...

Quote:
To me, a building like this one is probably more of a trophy for those who decide to build them, since they want to make a statement...
...where you made an obviously biased pronouncement with little or no reference to fact/facts or data to support the allegation.

I go back to my original question which you have failed to address which asked...

"Let's face it, would you have said the same thing about the Sears/Willis tower in 1970, the WTC in 1971, or even the Empire State Building in 1929?
Probably didn't make a lot of financial sense in 1929 to those who pooh poo'd such feats back then."
Old August 20th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #5931
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

The building can improve land prices around it...

ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:05 AM   #5932
OKT23

Likes (Received): 32

Amazing arquitecture, but the terrace (i think is the best word...) is really scary
OKT23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 02:13 AM   #5933
silent_dragon
What a wonderful world

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKT23 View Post
Amazing arquitecture, but the terrace (i think is the best word...) is really scary
yeah. much better if they plant some trees up there. i mean who would want to bake under the 40C+ sun just to view the Red Sea?

Got computing brains or extra bucks? Support this Green tech INDIEGOGO Project Paperless Receipts
silent_dragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 03:25 AM   #5934
antra

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_dragon View Post
yeah. much better if they plant some trees up there. i mean who would want to bake under the 40C+ sun just to view the Red Sea?
It rarely gets that high in jeddah

antra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 11:30 AM   #5935
Virtuoso
Its time

Likes (Received): 1533

Quote:

Even in a good economy, U.S. and European developers are a lot more practical and analytical when it comes to building a skyscraper or a highrise, and taking the risk of developing a building that might actually be half empty is a scary proposition for most US or European investors.

In the Middle East they use oil money to build a lot of these projects.

If we use logic, I donīt think a city like Dubai, which has a population of only 2 million people, would really need so many gigantic buildings, especially when many of them are half empty.

Btw, I am not biased towards any particular country, Iīm just using my experience as a consultant.
The buildings become attractions and lynchpins for developments in the middle east, they also create centers of activity around them in the gulf region (there are no public squares because of heat and government not wanting place where people congregate and are able to protest).

Is Burj Khalifa a financial success? I bet looking at the buildings standalone financials it is not, but by looking at all the new business made and the developments around it sold as well as publicity/increased visitors to Dubai it certainly is. The tower created a whole new downtown area which took Dubai to another level.

Virtuoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 11:41 AM   #5936
E21

Likes (Received): 242

When is this project due to start?
E21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 11:59 AM   #5937
fast_fokker

Quote:
Originally Posted by E21 View Post
The answer has been repeated many times in the last 291 pages...

Old August 21st, 2013, 05:36 PM   #5938
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

Quote:
Originally Posted by E21 View Post
It has started already since several months. Just read the thread title....
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:51 PM   #5939
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241088

I think its time to post a diagram of the tower here. Feel free to edit the image too...
image hosted on flickr

kingdom tower by christos-greece, on Flickr

Last edited by christos-greece; August 22nd, 2013 at 08:21 PM.
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:56 PM   #5940
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

This is only a guess

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest