daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2013, 04:13 AM   #6161
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Can anyone please take pictures of it and post it on here? I only see most recent construction updates which was last June. Please?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2013, 05:20 AM   #6162
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munwon View Post
5.9 meter thick raft! That must be a record.
Hi Munwon.

Shanghai Tower has a 6.0 meter thick raft.

The info Pat quoted came from the foundation PDF posted here.
We need much more info like that.

Ray.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Swiddle, Munwon liked this post
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #6163
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 22079

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Can anyone please take pictures of it and post it on here? I only see most recent construction updates which was last June. Please?
Yes, There are Pictures CrazyAboutCities, Our SSC Family Friends, Please GO to in This Kingdom Tower Thread to # 5894 For 3 Great Videos of the Site, And Then go to # 5891 For the Best Updated Pictures of the Entire Site of the Foundation Progress Under Construction for Over 9 months Now, Its Huge over 105 M Deep Drillings, 270 Huge 8 feet wide Pilings, So Huge with Rebars, so thick in size of your hand and should be Completed With the Foundation Late This Year with Updates coming soon by Rody69, Our SSC Family Update Video Photo Friend By October, The End of Next Month For Sure !!

Last edited by ChuckScraperMiami#1; September 29th, 2013 at 05:47 AM. Reason: I Just Got too Excited about the Tremendous Foundation of this Great 1007 M Tower, lol
ChuckScraperMiami#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #6164
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Rody will take some pics very soon as he said, so just wait
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #6165
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Hi Munwon.

Shanghai Tower has a 6.0 meter thick raft.

The info Pat quoted came from the foundation PDF posted here.
We need much more info like that.

Ray.
I wonder how thick the raft of 1WTC in NYC is since it is considered to be the strongest skyscraper in the world. Though it is far shorter than Shanghai Tower or Kingdom Tower

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #6166
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

And mind you - it sits on a solid rock It doesn't really need thick foundation and I doubt it is anywhere close to this record.

Anyway the strongest ≠ the heaviest. Actually it's the opposite. You need less stronger concrete for the same strength.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #6167
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

in what terms is 1WTC the strongest in the world, never heard this before

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #6168
patrykus

It has the strongest type of concrete used. The only two buildings I know that used it or were going to are 432 park ave and nakheel tower. But I think that people wrongly assume that 1wtc is the strongest because of the concrete used. We can't compare 1wtc's quite thin core with much more massive cores of buildings like st or pingan. They might use weaker concrete but they might compensate with the amount of it. The only way to compare would be preparing exhausting comparative wind load and earth quake test on all of them, or smash 787 on each
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old September 29th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #6169
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

I think the misconception mostly arises from the allegedly bomb-proof, fortified lower part of that tower
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #6170
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
It has the strongest type of concrete used. The only two buildings I know that used it or were going to are 432 park ave and nakheel tower. But I think that people wrongly assume that 1wtc is the strongest because of the concrete used. We can't compare 1wtc's quite thin core with much more massive cores of buildings like st or pingan. They might use weaker concrete but they might compensate with the amount of it. The only way to compare would be preparing exhausting comparative wind load and earth quake test on all of them, or smash 787 on each
It's not just that, 1WTC's core is not thin, a documentary I recently saw said that in the bottom the tower's core is iirc 6 feet thick and iirc it was discussedon the forum that in the upper portions it gets to 4 feet and finally 3 feet. Iirc I read somewhere that Shanghai Tower's core is thick from 4 feet at the bottom to 2 feet at the top, but I used so many "iirc" because of none of this I am sure, it's just what I remember but remembering exact numbers is not an easy task, so I'll try to find that info again to check just how well memory serves me, and once I'm done I'll tell you what the numbers for both of these buildings were

Old September 29th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #6171
patrykus

I said core thickness not core wall thickness. And core of st, pingan, goldin are obviously much thicker. What's more 1wtc and chinese big towers use different structure scheme (chinese use megacolumns), taking all of that into consideration you can hardly compare these tower's strength.

Old September 29th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #6172
Kanto
Roof height crusader

To me the core of 1WTC doesn't seem at all thinner compared to the building's width than that of Pingan or Goldin. Here are some floor plans for ya:

Judging by the recent photos of Pingan and Goldin I'd say Pingan, Goldin and 1WTC have an identicaly thick core compared to their full width. If the walls of the core (which is just as important as the width of the whole core) are too approximately identical, 1WTC is still stronger in core because for this, relatively comparable core it uses stronger concrete

But the perimeter of towers like Pingan, Shanghai Tower or Seoul Lotte appear to be stronger than the relatively sparse perimeter of 1WTC, so in the end I just don't dare to say which of these buildings is stronger. The only thing I dare to say is that they definitely are comparable in strength

Old September 29th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #6173
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

dude, now back to Kingdom Tower talk.

Old September 29th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #6174
kony

Likes (Received): 1240

great project !

kony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #6175
patrykus

@Kanto

Here is a drawing of one lower floors of pingan. Core (with the space inside) and supercolumns take 38% of a floorspace, at 1wtc core takes 32%. Also at least according to this drawing core walls of pingan are twice the width of those of 1wtc.

So unless you have models of all towers and wind tunnel at your apartment you can't really compare them thoroughly enough to go around saying one is the strongest of the bunch

But now that we cleared this out, lets get back to topic.

Old September 29th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #6176
Rody69

Likes (Received): 1918

back!!! with some goodies
not the best update ever! but they were really assuring the safety distance, as they were pouring concrete.and digging a 76 m deep foundation. I promise a better one soon..

they are working now on the "wing" which is pointing (South East), some major changes on site, plus a new access road was finished few days ago.
Old September 29th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #6177
patrykus

You mean 76m deep pile hole right?

Also I take it no pictures tonight then?

Old September 29th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #6178
Rody69

no,,he said this pile will be 76m deep..
no there are many photos..but not that good my friend
Old September 29th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #6179
Rody69

Old September 29th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #6180
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

thanks for the update, good to hear about progress i think when there is more visible stuff, more people will get interested and we will get more updates as well, but for now rody is all we have and he deserves ALL the likes :P

ChuckScraperMiami#1, K.S.A liked this post

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest