daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #6361
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
This tower is, of course, exciting in it's own right, but I'm also hoping that surrounding infrastructure will yield some other tall towers eventually. Otherwise, this will look out of place.
Dubai, having an excess of 15 complete supertalls, is undoubtedly one of the most capable cities in the world to hold a building like the Burj, and even there, it almost looks tall enough to be out of place. I have no problem with them building a 1000+ meter tower in what is currently the "middle of the desert", as long as it won't always be that way.

That being said, I don't understand what is the big deal is about there being "no purpose or demand" for this building. Does there have to be skyrocketing demand just to build a tall building? Possibly the most iconic skyscraper of all time was empty for more than a decade after it was built.

There is an excessive preoccupation with function these days. Some of the greatest buildings of all time have had very little function, and yet are revered today simply for their artistry. Hopefully The Kingdom Tower will live up to that legacy, regardless of it functionality.
So far it seems there won't be a lot of tall towers in the neighborhood. Just couple of 200m towers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rody69 View Post
hi again...

this is some details I've got...

*Tower-1 and 2:
-50 floor
-200 m
-Located directly to the south of Kingdom Tower.

*Tower 3, 4 :
-50 floor
-200 m
-Located directly to the north of Kingdom Tower.

*Tower 5, 6 :
-56 floor
-220 m
-Located directly to the South of towers 1 and 2.

*the base width is: 100 m (corner to corner)

*Sky lobbies are on the floors: 74, 107

*Observatory on the level 146

*Penthouse on level 170
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #6362
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkYsCrApEr2013 View Post
Thanks. We can now estimate how tall it would be
1006 meters. Top mechanical floor (167) is at 670m and the top occupied floor (157) is at 630m. There's only 7 actual concrete slabs between 157 and 167, so they're fudging the numbers.
Though, I can't say that's the absolute latest numbers. Should be pretty close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munwon View Post
There are no basements so they only have to build the raft. This will rise immediately after the raft in done.
There's 2 sublevels, the lower of the two will be about 8m below street level at the main entrance.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, L.A.F.2. liked this post

Last edited by STR; October 26th, 2013 at 02:40 AM.
STR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 03:15 AM   #6363
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 22079

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
1006 meters. Top mechanical floor (167) is at 670m and the top occupied floor (157) is at 630m. There's only 7 actual concrete slabs between 157 and 167, so they're fudging the numbers.

There's 2 sublevels, the lower of the two will be about 8m below street level at the main entrance.

Not So Bad , Its Good STR, Our SSC Family Friend, That's 25 Feet of digging around the Raft, Not bad really I have a SinkHole in my backyard of 2 acres that's deeper with Bats
ChuckScraperMiami#1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #6364
patrykus

Quote:

But those sublevels will be located above ground, right? The entrance will be located on a little artificial hill (with sub levels inside) meaning no excavation required.

According to this 3d model there indeed seems to be levels below the entrance but I always assumed they will be above the ground because this is what we heard in all the sources - specifically that there will be no excavation for this tower.

PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Last edited by patrykus; October 26th, 2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old October 26th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #6365
K.S.A
Jeddah Tower Lover

Likes (Received): 4363

what's the small building next to tower

K.S.A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #6366
patrykus

On this render it also looks like the entrance is elevated couple of floors above the ground level.

Old October 26th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #6367
K.S.A
Jeddah Tower Lover

Likes (Received): 4363

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post

i found this render from previous pages ... stunning render

thanks KillerZavatar

wespje1990, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
K.S.A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #6368
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8242

wish there was a high resolution render like that

K.S.A, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #6369
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
wish there was a high resolution render like that
Generally i would like to see more high-res renderings from different angles. With also more details.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #6370
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

What I like about this design over Burj Khalifa's is that from the base of the tower you can look up and see the entire structure up to the top of the spire. The Burj's setbacks don't let that happen.

ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #6371
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
What I like about this design over Burj Khalifa's is that from the base of the tower you can look up and see the entire structure up to the top of the spire. The Burj's setbacks don't let that happen.
Very true. Looking up one straight line 1000m high
Old October 26th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #6372
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
But those sublevels will be located above ground, right? The entrance will be located on a little artificial hill (with sub levels inside) meaning no excavation required.
I don't have anything on the podium. If they exit onto ground level, that would boost the overall height to ~1014m. I don't have the documentation with me, so I could give a more exact number later.

I can tell you the slab for the "1st floor" is 5.9m above datum.

Old October 26th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #6373
patrykus

So it seams the tower is in fact 1014m tall as seen from the ground level neighborhood. Only the entrance is at level three in relation to the ground level hence official height is 1007m.

Old October 26th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #6374
patrykus

Quote:
If you mean the bottom raft foundation for the tower that's nothing new. We knew that for quite some now

Old October 27th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #6375
Riyadh Crusher

Likes (Received): 2295

Quote:
I don't have anything on the podium. If they exit onto ground level, that would boost the overall height to ~1014m. I don't have the documentation with me, so I could give a more exact number later.

How do u know these exact numbers.....?
do you have any direct link with this project...?

Riyadh Crusher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #6376
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
So it seams the tower is in fact 1014m tall as seen from the ground level neighborhood. Only the entrance is at level three in relation to the ground level hence official height is 1007m.
Lets see if the official height will stay at 1007m.
Old October 27th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #6377
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Quote:
If you mean the bottom raft foundation for the tower that's nothing new. We knew that for quite some now
No, foundation slab is B2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadh Crusher View Post
How do u know these exact numbers.....?
do you have any direct link with this project...?
I do not work on the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
Lets see if the official height will stay at 1007m.
I was the source for the 1007m figure two years ago. My current information may not be the latest, and it is not complete, but it is more recent than the 1007m figure.

Also, for those who like to imagine looking up at this thing...

Last edited by STR; October 27th, 2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old October 27th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #6378
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 22079

Quote:
It's going to be 1007m. Why is anyone still arguing?
Yes , You Were and Still are the Source STR, Our SSC Family Friend, That Post there was 2 Years ago, around Oct. 17th , 2011, and its still the same at the top Tittle of this thread, I say, We Leave it at that Height until we hear from Rody69 , Our SSC Family Photo Update Friend, Talks to one of the men on the Already Under Construction 170 Pile Drilling Foundation Site when He goes again in Late November, This Year , For More Great Pictures and a Great Update . They let Rody69 in to take the pictures and Videos, and All He has to do is Ask anyone there working Exactly How Many Meters ??, Its that easy , really.
ChuckScraperMiami#1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #6379
patrykus

Ok I think we have little problems in communication here STR. What I'm trying to determind here is this:

Does this tower have any underground levels?

I know you said it has sublevels. Levels below the entrance. And I understand that. But I'm interested if the sublevels are located above the ground or under. This is significant detail because it impacts strongly construction time. Without the underground levels this tower could very well start rising in Q1 2013.

So what you're saying is quite confusing since in the interview from a year ago official representatives of S&G told us there is no underground levels in this tower due to dewatering issues.

Quote:
Once the piles are in, there is no excavation. The 4-m-deep mat is one level above grade. That means no digging down into the water table—which is close to the surface because of the proximity to the Red Sea—and no dewatering. "We couldn't get big enough pumps to dewater the site. It would have been like trying to dewater the sea," said Peter Weismantle.
Also the renders I posted in top of this page suggest the two sublevels you mentioned are indeed located above the ground.

Old October 27th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #6380
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8242

well the model render combined with render, both of which you posted last page indicate there indeed are no underground floors. the model render shows only the two or so floors under the entrance and then the piling and on the render we can see that this base is above ground. so if the renders are to be reliable there will be no underground floors.

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest