daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #6501
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
yes me neither, 1050m+ i am hoping for though, because it would put pressure Azerbaijan Tower
To me it would be awesome enough if the AT would prove to be a real project and not just a publicity stunt. 1000m or more, I don't care. It would be cool enough to see another 1km tower of world class architect beginning construction shortly after kt. 1km creation of Norman Foster - that would something
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by patrykus; November 11th, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #6502
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 3614

Well... Kingdom Tower has gotten far enough in planning that foundation work has already started. The final plans are probably made, wind tunnel tests have been performed, and design work is largely done. There's not much they can do in regards to a height change at this moment.

The further you proceed in a building process, the less freedom you have to change stuff (such as height). Okay, they could do some small modifications to the tower to add another few metres, but any significant changes to the planned loads (such as adding, say, another 100 tons' worth of spire to the top of the building) will require that a lot of the structure will have to be calculated anew. It would possibly even require changes to the foundation work to account for not only the extra weight from the spire, but the extra weight of the structure carrying that spire (as you have to make the structure bigger to carry the spire safely). And, seeing as they are working on the foundations now, there are limits to how much they can do. If a height (and thus weight) change requires the engineers to change the foundations, they can't go through with the change. It would be feasible, although prohibitely expensive, to delay the project while new foundations are being made.

Meanwhile, proper renders and plans for Azerbaijan Tower don't exist yet. The project hasn't entered those phases yet, so the designers are free to change whatever they want without extreme consequences. If they want the tallest building in the world, they can wait for the Kingdom Tower team to announce the final height of that building, and simply design theirs to be a few metres taller. Kingdom Tower will have its height "locked" long before Azerbaijan Tower.

The engineers of Kingdom Tower probably won't try to beat Azerbaijan Tower by aiming for a specific height. It's futile, the engineers behind Azerbaijan Tower will simply change their goal accordingly (given that they have sufficient money). Any change to Kingdom Tower will cost a lot more than a similar change to Azerbaijan Tower, because the former is well underway and the latter isn't.

Instead, I think Kingdom Tower will be content with having the first tower taller than one kilometre. It's futile to try to build a tower whose record can't be beaten, and even more futile to change it midway through construction to try to beat a competitor who still is in a phase where he can change whatever he wants without tearing down anything.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Sami1995 liked this post
Kyll.Ing. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #6503
patrykus

Those are very good points. I always said there is no real competition between these two towers. And now when AT got delayed two years it's even more obvious. If it is to start construction only in 2018 then they can comfortably start designing it two years before, in 2016, when there will be very little option for kt to be modified. If they really want to beat the kt and they have right resources to do so - they will. There is no doubt about it.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old November 11th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #6504
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

for this tower it doesn't really matter if it it's 1007m or 1050m. the next step are 1100m+, but this height will be reached by other towers.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #6505
zilze

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
floors = levels, regardless of their use, or lack of it. 50 more for 200 meters more, sounds about right.
Why add more uninhabitable floors inorder to increase height to 200 meters. Sounds silly IMO. What is all these height increase about? I think it is all about competition just to have the highest building in the world.

https://plus.google.com/b/1130693590...57740899/posts

No amount of virus used to remotely attack my computer can silence my voice! >>>>>> Just an African proverb
;) : The blue sky always has a trax in it ......

zilze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #6506
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

In terms of useless floor count?

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!

SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #6507
zilze

Yep, useless floor count.

No amount of virus used to remotely attack my computer can silence my voice! >>>>>> Just an African proverb

Old November 11th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #6508
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilze View Post
Why add more uninhabitable floors inorder to increase height to 200 meters. Sounds silly IMO. What is all these height increase about? I think it is all about competition just to have the highest building in the world.
So you prefer this instead:

I can cheat you blind.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, j-biz liked this post
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #6509
zilze

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post

So you prefer this instead:
What about that. Could u explain.

Old November 11th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #6510
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

Quote:
I think it is all about competition just to have the highest building in the world.
of course it is
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #6511
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 22079

Quote:

Zilze, Our SSC Family Friend, We All would of Love to see The WTC 1 Looking like the Picture on the LEFT of the Photos designs Showing Here in that Post of the World Trade Center 1 .

I believe AltinD, Our SSC Family Moderator and Friend, Was trying to Show you the difference of what the WTC 1 could of looked like in the 1st Picture the on The LEFT, But its Really the Picture on the Right, I'm guessing, My mistake ,
ChuckScraperMiami#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #6512
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 22079

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckScraperMiami#1 View Post

Zilze, Our SSC Family Friend, We All would of Love to see The WTC 1 Looking like the Picture on the LEFT of the Photos designs Showing Here in that Post of the World Trade Center 1 .

I believe AltinD, Our SSC Family Moderator and Friend, Was trying to Show you the difference of what the WTC 1 could of looked like in the 1st Picture the on The LEFT, But its Really the Picture on the Right, I'm guessing, My mistake ,
anyway, Our SSC Family Friends , Its going to be At or Over 1000 Meters, But Let's Keep the Tittle at the Top at 1007 Meters for Now, that's No Problem !!
ChuckScraperMiami#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #6513
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckScraperMiami#1 View Post
anyway, Its going to be at or Over 1000 Meters, But Let's Keep the Title at the top at 1007 Meters for now, that's No problem !!

did chuckscrapermiami just break character?
Old November 12th, 2013, 12:30 AM   #6514
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
I believe AltinD is suggesting that if you're going for a certain vanity height number, you can either build empty floors (as you suggested), or put an unnecessarily long spire on top and convince everybody to count it in the final height (as is the case with One World Trade Center, the building in his picture).

j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 01:42 AM   #6515
zilze

@ ChuckScraperMiami#1 and j-biz,
Alrit, got all the explanation, thanks.

Old November 13th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #6516
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
I believe AltinD is suggesting that if you're going for a certain vanity height number, you can either build empty floors (as you suggested), or put an unnecessarily long spire on top and convince everybody to count it in the final height (as is the case with One World Trade Center, the building in his picture).

By definition all spires, of any length, are unnecessary. Spires are architectural features and one of the oldest kinds.

That's why they're counted in building height, and should be. Skyscrapers in general are just a form of spire anyway. There's no need to build any building over twenty floors, not with modern transportation and urban planning.

Skyscrapers are an aesthetic creation, especially ones that aim to be the tallest ever, like KT.

I mean, I get the disdain for spires. I do. Sometimes they can be so barefaced in their attempt to game the system. But KT is itself one giant shard of ice. It's just a big, wide spire.

ibib, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #6517
patrykus

True, although as strange as that might be there are people who desperately search for a magic point where the "roof" is and the "spire" starts even in buildings like this.

Old November 13th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #6518
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 517

I would be very surprised if this building is ever even 25% occupied.

Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #6519
patrykus

Well then you will be surprised sooner or later. Probably later but still.

4npower, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old November 13th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #6520
ibib

Likes (Received): 2894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
I would be very surprised if this building is ever even 25% occupied.
Saudi Arabia has to build about 3 million housing units within the next 5 years just to meet local demand!

ChuckScraperMiami#1, hqho1671 liked this post
ibib no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest