daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2014, 02:50 AM   #6801
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Go picket line some CEO's office...

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #6802
Daniel_Emirates_DXB

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphaltjungle View Post
Such vanity! This one is all about breaking the 1000 meter threshold. These towers are like measuring sticks of the ever increasing income inequality of the world. It is becoming exponential now. Soon the power elites will reach escape velocity, safely circling the globe, leaving the rest of us to choke in a polluted planet of their own making.
How many times have you watched "Elysium" or "Wall-E" ?
Daniel_Emirates_DXB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 03:07 AM   #6803
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Such vanity! This one is all about breaking the 1000 meter threshold. These towers are like measuring sticks of the ever increasing income inequality of the world. It is becoming exponential now. Soon the power elites will reach escape velocity, safely circling the globe, leaving the rest of us to choke in a polluted planet of their own making.

And it's people like you that continue to cry and complain "income inequality" when the other guy goes out and busts his ass more then you, to make his life better for himself and his family. Instead of being one of those who continue to "choke in a polluted planet from the power elites", why don't you do something for yourself, and make something out of your life. You have every opportunity just like the next guy, so stop feeling sorry for yourself. You'll go through life expecting everything to be given to you, but will end up with nothing. When I see someone like Prince Al Waleed, and his success, I just want to go up to him and shake his hand and tell him good job.
Old January 9th, 2014, 03:36 AM   #6804
ArasHUN

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Talk about being overdramatic! And of course it's all about the 1000 meter mark. It's about being badass and showing it off. If you actually think about it, basically all monumental buildings did that in one way or another. Going back to the pyramids it's clear that people were ready to impress by sheer size even thousands of years ago.

It's not bad, it's just how things are.
ArasHUN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 05:04 AM   #6805
Asphaltjungle

Likes (Received): 2

Prince Al Waleed, as part of the Saudi royal family, was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He was not self made by any stretch of the imagination.

æthær liked this post
Asphaltjungle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 05:51 AM   #6806
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Prince Al Waleed, as part of the Saudi royal family, was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He was not self made by any stretch of the imagination.

You obviously haven't done much research on the Prince have you
Yeah, sure, his family wasn't poor by any means, but he took that silver spoon and turned it into 30 billion gold spoons. About the only thing his "Royal family" gave him, was a college education. It was him, that then took his intelligence, education, and got into construction and bought up a shit ton of real estate. Zero of his wealth was given to him, its all SELF MADE. If after college, your parents gave you $10k, and you then turned that $10k into 1 billion, is that not self made? He turned a dollar into a million, just like most of the worlds wealthiest people. Do your research and stop being jealous. As I said above, you will never amount to anything, if you don't work for it

L.A.F.2., ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 06:23 AM   #6807
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2801

In asphaltjungle's defense, you can't quantify the value of being born into royalty / the upper class. It doesn't matter if he got nothing from his family, he's already got their name.

That said, I come here to share excitement and enthusiasm about great feats of engineering. We all know the world is screwed anyway, so just enjoy the show.

j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 09:16 AM   #6808
tonttula

Likes (Received): 180

Well I can't say asphaltjungle is wrong. Inequality is indeed growing across the globe and it has nothing to do with other guy working harder and earning the pay he deserves, it's about that not happening. I wish the world was so black and white.

But yeah, nothing really to do with this project.

æthær liked this post
tonttula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 09:36 AM   #6809
Asphaltjungle

At least you recognize that the system is screwed up. From the housing "bubble" to the skyrise "bubble". Its unsustainable.
Old January 9th, 2014, 09:59 AM   #6810
Asphaltjungle

You are right. I got off topic. Sorry. Just wanted to say that there is a reenforcing psycolgical dimension to the skyrise. It is no longer figurative but literal. One is now expected to look up to them while being spat on from above in condescension.
Old January 9th, 2014, 01:09 PM   #6811
bigbarcelona

Likes (Received): 82

This project not only does look stunning, but magnificent as well and truthfully, it'll be a delight to see once it's complete it. But I have to agree with one perspective that's been raised time after time... Who is going to see this project? Let's be honest... Saudi Arabia has a very negative view around the world and that's primarily because of their rather extreme laws that are not only imposed on the locals, but also, anyone that is an outside or foreigner as well. Sure, the tower will be an amazing project once completed and once more, it'll show the wealth and power that the Middle East have, but even so, nobody wants to go to a place where you aren't necessarily welcome and everything you do is limited to the point of annoyance. I can see people in the region visiting this project, but outside of the region, very doubtful. Unless you are backpacking around the Middle East or there are changes done like the ones in Dubai, this will be one mega project that will eventually go unnoticed.
bigbarcelona no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #6812
OmarBeirut

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
You obviously haven't done much research on the Prince have you
Yeah, sure, his family wasn't poor by any means, but he took that silver spoon and turned it into 30 billion gold spoons. About the only thing his "Royal family" gave him, was a college education. It was him, that then took his intelligence, education, and got into construction and bought up a shit ton of real estate. Zero of his wealth was given to him, its all SELF MADE. If after college, your parents gave you $10k, and you then turned that $10k into 1 billion, is that not self made? He turned a dollar into a million, just like most of the worlds wealthiest people. Do your research and stop being jealous. As I said above, you will never amount to anything, if you don't work for it
To many people around the world, a self-made person is usually a rags to riches type of person. That said it's much easier for a PRINCE to make a fortune out of his PERSONAL family fortune, to increase it anyways. What I mean is that a self-made person is someone like Bill Gates or Warren Buffet: came from a middle-class, created a product (technology, finance, services...) and elevated their personal net-worth without using family-name or inheritance. To me, personally, I won't consider Al Waleed as "self-made" but more of a business savvy man. His wealth came from his family (first), then his businesses around the world elevated him from a millionaire to a billionaire he is now. And there is a difference between receiving 10k post-grad (like you stated above) and the millions he had including his royal title. Prince Al-Waleed is a smart man NOT a self-made man.

æthær liked this post
OmarBeirut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #6813
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1665

Quote:
This statement I have to agree with, In Amercia most successful men are self made so there's a natural tendency to assume that success comes from one's own efforts. But in some other places power and wealth are inherited and ruling elites are entrenched bastions of priviledge. Individual enterprise by itself is no guarantee of success. Hence the migration of talented and ambitious people to places like the USA looking for a better opportunity. There is no such thing as equal opportunity in everyplace in the world. Class, status, connections often determine your chances of success just as much as education, work ethic and ability in some societies.
kunming tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 06:13 PM   #6814
wespje1990

Likes (Received): 821

Kingdom tower: Pics/movie or it isnt happening....

Sirius2.0, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
wespje1990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #6815
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespje1990 View Post
Kingdom tower: Pics/movie or it isnt happening....
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #6816
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

If you have the sense to go back some pages then maybe you will see some pics

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #6817
Yaghuth

Likes (Received): 718

Quote:
actually it's a bit more complicated, Al-Wleed father, prince Talal was a part of an opposition movement from within the royal family. for many years he was forced to live in exile and until now, prince Talal and his offspring are excluded from taking any position in the government.

in fact, up until King Abdullah took over, Prince Al-Waleed had to limit his public appearances and even his investments in Saudi.

More on the Free Princes Movement

Yaghuth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #6818
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2751

Why is it that in every other thread in the supertalls section every ever-so-slightly off-topic post is deleted within hours while in this thread you have to wade through twenty pages of banal chatter to find anything relating to this tower's construction?

1991, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #6819
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2801

Normal rules do not apply to the future WTB

j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 02:33 AM   #6820
Ultra84

Likes (Received): 6130

I guess this thread has the highest comments(and views)/(relevant)photo proportion ever here on SSC...

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest