daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #6901
EstKarl
BANNED

Likes (Received): 29

I'm just wondering, are Middle-Easterners building this massive skyscrapers to compensate for something?

Same thing with Asia, the highest skyscrapers are usually built there.
EstKarl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #6902
erkantang

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstKarl View Post
I'm just wondering, are Middle-Easterners building this massive skyscrapers to compensate for something? Same thing with Asia, the highest skyscrapers are usually built there.
economy growth
erkantang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #6903
fimiak

Likes (Received): 37

They are doing it because they can. It is in the same vein (pun: vain?) as the ancient empires and their grand projects. If the owners have a few billion dollars sitting around, why not build the biggest and best building in the world? They already own fleets of the best planes, cars, and every other amenity known to man. These buildings will outlive them and retain their presence on Earth in a big way. Trying to understand their motives for building this masterpiece will not work if you are framing it from a 'western/human rights' perspective.

abdurahman liked this post
fimiak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #6904
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
That is just sad to depend on Rody for pics! if he decided to settle down for good outside KSA, this thread is doomed and we won't be able to see anything of this tower till it is finished!
I second that. Rody is just one guy. It is unbelievable there is nobody else in 4 million city to take pictures (even trough the fence) of the future worlds tallest tower rising nearby. Not that I haven't used to it already.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:19 AM   #6905
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Do they have Craigslist in SA? We might have to start hiring people. Who's in??
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #6906
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29101

Nope No Craigslist .. I am too desperate for pics I actually am thinking of spending my uni spring break in Jeddah instead of Europe
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #6907
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
I second that. Rody is just one guy. It is unbelievable there is nobody else in 4 million city to take pictures (even trough the fence) of the future worlds tallest tower rising nearby. Not that I haven't used to it already.

I am positive, that once this thing starts going vertical, we will see a lot more coverage. As has been said before, nobody except us Skyscraper fans, care about a few hundred pieces of concrete sticking out of the ground. Hell, most people won't even care about a giant concrete slab. Just like the Burj Khalifa, there will be a few hour long documentaries, and a bunch of other scenes on other architecture shows. A week or so ago, I actually heard them mention it on a local news show here in Pa, so there's no doubt that it will start spreading in the media in the next several months. The more patience we have, the more excited we will be when we see those first pictures of it growing above ground.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 01:48 AM   #6908
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstKarl View Post
I'm just wondering, are Middle-Easterners building this massive skyscrapers to compensate for something?

Same thing with Asia, the highest skyscrapers are usually built there.
I guess Bill Gates must have had to compensate for something too. Since he had to build a $200,000,000 house.
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 02:13 AM   #6909
EstKarl
BANNED

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
I guess Bill Gates must have had to compensate for something too. Since he had to build a $200,000,000 house.
Considering the modest clothes he wears + the massive amounts of money he has donated to Middle-Easterners, Africans, Asian regions etc. I'd say that you're wrong.

But seriously guys, there are people on this forum who literally fap to pictures of skyscrappers and I'm not joking. Are there any women at all on this forum? I have never seen one. It makes perfect sense as only men are obsessed skyscrapers.
EstKarl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 02:53 AM   #6910
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

What does it matter?
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:30 AM   #6911
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

Anyone else find it surprising that this incredibly tall building will have a gross floor area of "only" 258,000 square meters (according to the CTBUH website)?

WTC One has a gross floor area of 325,279 square meters. Burj Khalifa has a GFA of 309,473 square meters. Meanwhile, the much shorter Willis Tower has a GFA of 416,000 square meters.

This building, while extremely tall, is going to be incredibly thin - with a lot of useless "vanity height". It may not have the impressive impact that the developers are hoping for.

birchey, lotec, Msradell liked this post

Last edited by DFDalton; January 28th, 2014 at 05:38 PM.
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 09:04 AM   #6912
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
I am positive, that once this thing starts going vertical, we will see a lot more coverage. As has been said before, nobody except us Skyscraper fans, care about a few hundred pieces of concrete sticking out of the ground. Hell, most people won't even care about a giant concrete slab. Just like the Burj Khalifa, there will be a few hour long documentaries, and a bunch of other scenes on other architecture shows. A week or so ago, I actually heard them mention it on a local news show here in Pa, so there's no doubt that it will start spreading in the media in the next several months. The more patience we have, the more excited we will be when we see those first pictures of it growing above ground.
Well I would except few skyscraper fans in Jeddah as there are hundreds in every bigger city. Anyway I believe this thread will be mostly updated with pictures scrapped from flickr and the likes shot by people don't really interested in skyscrapers. The only question is how tall the tower have to be for "civilians" to notice it.. 200, 300m ?
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #6913
MonsieurGeromont
BANNED

Likes (Received): 49

No new pictures ?
MonsieurGeromont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #6914
Elster

Likes (Received): 1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurGeromont View Post
No new pictures ?
Rody is enjoying the antiques of Angkor wat in Cambodia right now, so no pics

j-biz liked this post
Elster está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 04:23 PM   #6915
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 3642

^Yesterday he was climbing Kilimanjaro, now he's in Cambodia...

...you don't know him at all, do you?
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #6916
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

Has anyone considered that instead of constant complaining about our divine right to see photos of this building's progress, that a politely worded inquiry to its architects (AS + GG) might produce some results? Surely they've got to be monitoring the progress of their building.
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:27 PM   #6917
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyll.Ing. View Post
^Yesterday he was climbing Kilimanjaro, now he's in Cambodia...

...you don't know him at all, do you?
Rody is everywhere. He's in Tanzania, Cambodia, London, and Jeddah. He's in the cherry blossoms in spring and the whispering winds of a summer night.

Kyll.Ing., ArasHUN liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #6918
Dubai Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 2609

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Well I would except few skyscraper fans in Jeddah as there are hundreds in every bigger city. Anyway I believe this thread will be mostly updated with pictures scrapped from flickr and the likes shot by people don't really interested in skyscrapers.
Back in the days, we had nearly no updates from Burj Dubai until it was several floors above the ground. And Burj Dubai is located right in the heart of Dubai, unlike Kindom Tower which is much further outside Jeddah.
And there will be skyscraper fans who take more frequent updates as soon as it becomes visible from the fence. For now, even when the raft is already poured there is nothing to be seen from the fence yet.
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #6919
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1153

We will have to buy Roukaya and Fayzoon cars and cameras so they can travel there. Luckily, gas does not concern us
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #6920
wespje1990

Likes (Received): 806

So they are building the worlds tallest structure in History (in some sketchy oil state), and there are no websites from architects or developers with news/updates/pictures around on the whole entire ******* worldwideweb what so ever.

No..the only source we have some dude climbing some mountain....

It just smells fishy as ****.

Besides that, it (or not anything at all) is not UC, its barely in prep.

webeagle12, Aussie Mark liked this post
wespje1990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest