daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #6961
CityTrip

Likes (Received): 40

Well I don't agree with some of the above posts but, I hope this project get's built. I know that the area I live in will not have a tower that tall, considering the earthquake possibility. So on that note, I wish the best to the cities that do.
CityTrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #6962
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Some people don't see it as a marvel because they're too stuck-up about its location.
Here's a thought. Maybe they do because this is the location where all vanity projects pops up. Silk city tower, burj khalifa, nakheel tower and now this are all proposed for middle east.

I myselft appreciate any megatall project simply for it's magnitude but you need to understand that for some that maybe not enough. Or are you too stuck with your opinion as well?
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 12:51 PM   #6963
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

You have yet to tell me what's the tallest tower you have ever seen with your eyes
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #6964
patrykus

And you have yet to tell me how many cows you have ridden.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old February 6th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #6965
AltinD
The Modecator

None (although unlike me, you have never asked that in the past)... now, your turn
I can cheat you blind.

Old February 6th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #6966
patrykus

I thought that will be a good hint, but obviously you didn't get it so I will ask straight. How is your question related to the context of this discussion in ANY way?

Old February 6th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #6967
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

I would love to visit Saudi Arabia as a tourist, Insha'alla. I've visited all around the area: Turkey, Syria and Jordan. But KSA is the only country I know of that restricts visits to certain areas to people of one faith.

I've been to a half-dozen mosques in Istanbul, even during prayer time. I've been to two mosques in Damascus, one Sunni and one Shia, and another mosque in Amman. But in KSA I can't even enter the cities of Mecca and Medina, much less the mosques. That's not an Islamic restriction, it's a Saudi restriction.
Old February 6th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #6968
patrykus

actually you can't even enter the country unless you are invited or muslim pilgrim.

Old February 6th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #6969
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Here's a thought. Maybe they do because this is the location where all vanity projects pops up. Silk city tower, burj khalifa, nakheel tower and now this are all proposed for middle east.

I myselft appreciate any megatall project simply for it's magnitude but you need to understand that for some that maybe not enough. Or are you too stuck with your opinion as well?
I meant as an architectural marvel. Is it not such a thing?

Don't accuse me of being stuck up because I am trying to spread the idea that all buildings' beauty should be judged equally, instead of being affected by factors such as politics or short-term usefulness. Remember, Eiffel Tower was 100% built for showing off and now it's a world icon because people forgot about that.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 08:47 AM   #6970
patrykus

The fact that you care most for architecture doesn't mean everybody have to. There's definitively much more going on for a tower than just how it looks. Besides kt is hardly an architectural marvel. To me it's more an engineering and planning marvel. I'm impressed by the fact that such a big structure can and will be build, by the fact that concrete will be for the first time pumped so high and cranes will work at height of 1km. I'm also happy to have the opportunity to see such project rising from soil testing to completion since I missed half off the burj construction. Howether the design of kt is nothing ground braking or new. I personally treat it as burj reboot (which is great for the reasons I already mentioned above) There were some more innovative designs in architect competition stage but it apparently was more reasonable (cheaper) to chose already tried and tested design. Anyway I don't mind at all that what we get is "just" bigger burj, the construction ahead of us will still be very exciting, but I can see that some can be disapointed by another vanity tower with little function build mostly to brake the record

Anyway to the Eiffel Tower for a moment. I have no problem if someone don't like it. If build today it would be barely noticed, BUT the two cases you are comparing are completely different. First of all Eiffel was not pretending to be a building with any function it was solely a technology demonstration structure build to prove the power of french engineering. In that way it is definitively an engineering marvel of its times. Now does the kingdom tower really do the same? It is designed by american architects and build by foreign companies. Plus it's hardly a demonstration of any technology since it's widely known (today we have very accurate simulations so we don't need to build something to prove it's possible) that towers of up to 2km height can be build. Now if saudi engineers would have develop a technology to build a 3km tower and then build it now that would be something truly admirable.

j-biz, AnOldBlackMarble, Redzio liked this post

Last edited by patrykus; February 7th, 2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old February 7th, 2014, 08:54 AM   #6971
AltinD
The Modecator

Can we stoo with the "it's a vanity project ....... and I say this primarily because I'm not fund of the place it is being built" BS?!
I can cheat you blind.

Dubai Skyscraper liked this post
Old February 7th, 2014, 08:58 AM   #6972
patrykus

You can start with stoping with your own bs like asking random questions completely detached from the context

London21 liked this post
Old February 7th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #6973
Conejo1

Likes (Received): 261

What stops people from not liking this project? Nobody forces them to like it. I don't see the problem. Don't like it? Too bad for you. Find another skyscraper to marvel over. Or just stop writing the same ignorant ramble over and over again.

PS: Local firms are involved and so are local technicians and architects as well.
Conejo1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:26 PM   #6974
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conejo1 View Post
What stops people from not liking this project? Nobody forces them to like it.
I beg to differ. Just read some posts above your

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conejo1 View Post
PS: Local firms are involved and so are local technicians and architects as well.
I said this because someone compared it to the eiffel tower which is like comparing apples and oranges really. The majority of know how for this project is of foreign origin. And saudi company that overlook the construction hire foreign company for the actual works (at least for the foundation).

But this is interesting topic so it would be nice if you could elaborate some more. Of course there will be some saudis working on this project, but I'm more interested in the saudi companies involved. Not sure what you mean by the architects. The smith&gill is american architectural firm. Also what Saudi construction/consulting companies working on the project do you know and what are they hired for?

Old February 8th, 2014, 12:26 AM   #6975
rlw777

Likes (Received): 471

This IS a "vanity" project... and that has everything to do with WHERE something is built and it has nothing to do with not being fond of a country or region. Lots of cities have done vanity projects to increase the status of their city on the world stage. It's an effort to overcompensate... to try to be New York city, London, or Shanghai when you're just a fishing village in an unfavorable geographical location... that means you Dubai. Someone needs to tell these cities with low self-esteem that we like them as they are.... But that doesn't make these projects any less marvelous.
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #6976
BE0GRAD
∰f(W)dw≣∭f(r,φ,θ) drdφdθ

Likes (Received): 1173

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Boo!!!

We're here to marvel at this feat of human invention, are we not?
No. We are here to comment on it which doesn't necessarily mean to marvel it.
BE0GRAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #6977
BE0GRAD
∰f(W)dw≣∭f(r,φ,θ) drdφdθ

Likes (Received): 1173

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Can we stoo with the "it's a vanity project ....... and I say this primarily because I'm not fund of the place it is being built" BS?!
Why?
BE0GRAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #6978
Fisplen

Likes (Received): 44

When this is built it will almost be as tall as the tallest mountain in Wales! 0.o Mount Snowdon at 1085 Meters.
Old February 9th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #6979
_Mort_
BANNED

nice info but i think that no one cares about that

wespje1990, Redzio, ExCaliBourBG liked this post
_Mort_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #6980
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

Personally, I find it interesting that a human-made structure will be as tall as a mountain in Wales!

j-biz, african, lor15, Guajiro1, K.S.A liked this post
Maximalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest