daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 14th, 2014, 09:15 AM   #7021
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 3631

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Skyscraper View Post
So you think we would see something when the camera is 25cm off the ground? From that distance?
Hm. I'd say you need to use the video setting on your camera, some duct tape and a pole at least half a metre longer than the height of yourself + the fence. Doable?

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2014, 09:24 AM   #7022
RockAss

Likes (Received): 2558

I've done something like this before, only I used tripod and timer setting on the camera.. I thought if someone see me doing it, they'll think I'm a spy or something
RockAss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #7023
revpmaul

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAss View Post
I've done something like this before, only I used tripod and timer setting on the camera.. I thought if someone see me doing it, they'll think I'm a spy or something
You are a spy! This is your mission should you choose to accept it.
revpmaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #7024
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuoso View Post
So your question moved from "Will saudi companies build anything in this project?" to "will saudi companies do every single thing in this project?"
I don't remember I was asking any of the above questions I asked what suadi companies are involved and what are their tasks. Because I'm sure there will be some like fitting out the apartments or wiring and network installation. What I am really interested is how much "Saudi" is that tower going to be. Because if you lost track of the discussion I remind you that it started from (That) one guy comparing the kingdom tower to eiffel tower and I argued that it is pointless comparison because unlike french tower kt is not really a Saudi "product". And truth is that even if all works on site are done by saudi companies it still is a tower designed, engineered and tested by american firms. You say sbg is the contractor. But they hired ec harris and mace to menage the project and bauer to build foundation. It seems like they mostly just hire subcontractors for this project. I am simply wondering how many saudi companies will actually work on the tower and how major their tasks will be. I'm sure there will be some but you still couldn't name one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyll.Ing. View Post
Hm. I'd say you need to use the video setting on your camera, some duct tape and a pole at least half a metre longer than the height of yourself + the fence. Doable?
Sure it is. Polish forumers does that all the time for most interesting projects. There just need to be some will
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 02:04 PM   #7025
Soroban
Ah! Megami-Sama fan

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichalHajek View Post
THIS PROJECT HAS NO POINT AND ITS JUST RIDICULOUS.
(That is my opinion.)

- I don't know whom it will serve, why its even being built.
- Its just one prince's dream to show everybody his wealth and success (and even this is to be considered, as even Forbes has emphasized his ridiculous effort to bubble up his wealth via phonecalls to Forbes office and bribes)
- It won't be financially viable I think, Jeddah is not Dubai to capitalize on the city's value-added environment
- Burj Khalifa is a tower for everybody, everybody can see it and visit it, Saudi Arabia is an extreme example of a cleric country with no tourism at all (execept the religious one)

YES, the design is awesome, but still I don't like it, because it has no broader message behind it and Saudi Arabia is for me a country that still lives in medieval age.
(2)
A castle in the desert
Soroban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #7026
jackedi07
YoutubeChannel:Jackedi07

Likes (Received): 522

Quality control works commissioned for Kingdom Tower

Lebanese firm, Advanced Construction Technology Services (ACTS) has been appointed for quality control works on the Kingdom Tower.

The company will be responsible for testing the half million cubic meters of concrete and the 80,000 tons of steel that will be required for the massive construction. Advanced Construction Technology Services will set up a laboratory on the site of the construction where over 100 professionals will be deployed.

The Lebanese company which was founded in 1996 has extensive area of expertise and was also responsible for quality control at the construction of the King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah.

http://www.kingdomtowerskyscraper.co...dom-Tower.html

patrykus liked this post
jackedi07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #7027
civil facts

Likes (Received): 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichalHajek View Post
THIS PROJECT HAS NO POINT AND ITS JUST RIDICULOUS.
(That is my opinion.)

- I don't know whom it will serve, why its even being built.
- Its just one prince's dream to show everybody his wealth and success (and even this is to be considered, as even Forbes has emphasized his ridiculous effort to bubble up his wealth via phonecalls to Forbes office and bribes)
- It won't be financially viable I think, Jeddah is not Dubai to capitalize on the city's value-added environment
- Burj Khalifa is a tower for everybody, everybody can see it and visit it, Saudi Arabia is an extreme example of a cleric country with no tourism at all (execept the religious one)

YES, the design is awesome, but still I don't like it, because it has no broader message behind it and Saudi Arabia is for me a country that still lives in medieval age.
Well, with a tower of such magnitude being constructed it'll directly cause appreciation in the real-estate in the nearby region enhancing the ever growing skyline of Jeddah.
Secondly, Among the foreign tourist visiting Dubai..Saudi ranks second...this will promote local tourism among Saudis from other provinces.
On a professional note prince waleed is a very smart business-man and he sees huge profits from this project.
In the late 1970s and early eighties while cities like Dubai, Abu dhabhi, Riyadh were struggling with creating infrastructure(although Dubai was a big trading hub) Jeddah had the infrastructure like any other western city(i.e Wide motorways ,Airport ,seaport , tree-lined avenues, skyscrapers etc. and its old town is to reckon with.
Due to untimely downfall and funds being mostly spend on the capital of K.S.A Jeddah lost its lime-light.
Al-waleed was the person responsible for saving citi-bank and owns a lot of stake in it, On a similar note he sees a great output of the investment being made in the kingdom city.
civil facts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #7028
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by civil facts View Post
Well, with a tower of such magnitude being constructed it'll directly cause appreciation in the real-estate in the nearby region enhancing the ever growing skyline of Jeddah.
"Blasphemy! Whaddaya mean ther'yre not buildin' it just to show off? Everyone knows all Saudis are cavemen who live in medieval era, hurr hurr!!!"
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 12:11 AM   #7029
patrykus

Please, nobody is saying it's just for show off The guy is businessmen he will at least try making some money on it. But you have to admit somehow all over the world similar projects does just fine (or better) without worlds tallest tower in the middle

And I'm not sure if the guy usually does stuff for show off, but that thing doesn't look like particularly practical chair

PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Die_Heart_Mansoor, FM 2258 liked this post
Old February 21st, 2014, 04:46 AM   #7030
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

It's not just him that will make money. This project will increase land value significantly and attract more businesses, bring publicity to Jeddah,and be a piece of art. Unlike what many Saudiphobes(for example) like to claim, that it's just some billionaire showing off and making just his own money.

4npower liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 05:31 AM   #7031
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
It's not just him that will make money. This project will increase land value significantly and attract more businesses, bring publicity to Jeddah,and be a piece of art. Unlike what many Saudiphobes(for example) like to claim, that it's just some billionaire showing off and making just his own money.

Exactly! I just hope that, by the time it's done, they can relax the tourism restrictions, if not for Saudi Arabia as a whole, then at least for the Jeddah area. He has to know, that there is only so much money that he can squeeze out of the locals. There will be thousands of billionaire/millionaires, from around the world, that would be interested in plunking down cash offers on skyscraper condo's near this tower.
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 08:54 AM   #7032
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Question is if this thing increase land value around it will it be worth the price? I mean kt will easily cost billions of dollars. It will be significant part of the complete cost of the entire Kingdom City. It's risky business. There are hundreds smarter ways of investing your money in. Get this, there are over 400 billionaires living in usa and somehow you can't see much 1km towers rising in the states or even aboard with us money. So building that tall can't be such a smart business plan it seems. Clearly even though they'd like to make it profitable it will be build to tickle someones ego

But hey, I personally have no problem with that. A result will be awesome tower and extremely interesting construction. I just wish people would have been a little more open minded, and stop making silly arguments like this thing being mostly a result of cold financial evaluation

Old February 21st, 2014, 12:55 PM   #7033
Hamad-

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Question is if this thing increase land value around it will it be worth the price? I mean kt will easily cost billions of dollars. It will be significant part of the complete cost of the entire Kingdom City. It's risky business. There are hundreds smarter ways of investing your money in. Get this, there are over 400 billionaires living in usa and somehow you can't see much 1km towers rising in the states or even aboard with us money. So building that tall can't be such a smart business plan it seems. Clearly even though they'd like to make it profitable it will be build to tickle someones ego

But hey, I personally have no problem with that. A result will be awesome tower and extremely interesting construction. I just wish people would have been a little more open minded, and stop making silly arguments like this thing being mostly a result of cold financial evaluation
Because there is a hard cash and there is credit. A lot of american billionaires just credit like facebook , Microsoft. Prince alwaleed wealth is credit in usa and he want to change his credit with physical asset in his own country which is smart move because dollar losing its value.
Hamad- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 02:38 PM   #7034
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 893

I am excited to see this tower rise simply due to its dominating height. What will the views from the heighest occupied floor look like? Jeddah at leas has mountains around out so it won't be like the Burj Khalifa where it's just views of sand or water
tinyslam está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 08:09 PM   #7035
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4537

This tower will indeed bring great investment to a city funding the economy, giving many people work and will bring in new shops, hotels etc which will also create workers as well as helping the current city to thrive ThatOneGuy makes a great point!

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 11:41 PM   #7036
patrykus

I always thought dubai was business and tourism destination before burj khalifa construction even began

Old February 22nd, 2014, 09:35 PM   #7037
wespje1990

Likes (Received): 806

thanks for showing us 3 month old pictures showing nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hqho1671 View Post
To everyone asking for pictures this what I get if I take pictures

This is an old pictures 3 months ago
wespje1990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 12:32 AM   #7038
patrykus

Sad thing is it's still more than we can usually expect in this thread...

Old February 23rd, 2014, 12:45 AM   #7039
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4537

Well there's a large fence, posters of the building and a tower crane!
Can't really say it's nothing when it shows activity is there

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

ZZ-II, abukhaled liked this post
iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 12:47 AM   #7040
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespje1990 View Post
thanks for showing us 3 month old pictures showing nothing.
thanks for posting to tell us nothing
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest