daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #7081
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

'She' might be real. Just not that hot

PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #7082
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Not entirely sure what this site is about. I figured I'd post it anyways
http://www.jec-sa.com/
Old February 25th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #7083
patrykus

Nice find JEC is short of Jeddah Economic Company. They are partnership of several investors (including Bin Talal) developing Kingdom City. I guess the website will be mostly used for selling projects in the kc. Hopefully there will be some construction updates too there. Remember that engineer guy from Egyptian company working on test piles? I think he mentioned there will be website with construction updates made. That was quite some time ago but hopefully this is that site he was talking about
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old February 26th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #7084
Riyadh Crusher

Likes (Received): 2295

'We need to pump concrete half a MILE into the sky': Engineers puzzled by how to build the world's next tallest skyscraper.

.The Kingdom Tower will measure 3,280ft (1km) tall if it is built in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia to provide views of the Red Sea.
.Foundations will be 200metres deep and able to withstand salt of Red Sea.
.Engineers are currently testing materials, such as concrete and steel, out of which the massive skyscraper could be constructed.
.Once of the biggest challenges is the pouring of concrete thousands of feet off the ground - and a thin pressurised tube could be the answer.

A futuristic skyscraper measuring more than 3000ft tall is planned to be built in Saudi Arabia.
But for engineers, it’s a tall order and they are trying to work out how to construct the massive tower by testing methods of pumping wet concrete, which would need to travel half a mile skywards.
The Kingdom Tower, which is intended to be erected in Jeddah, is planned to be 3,280ft (1km) tall but there are huge challenges to be overcome in its construction, including how to build tall lifts and reduce its overall weight.

The developers of the massive tower have confirmed that a company named Advances Construction Technology Services (ACTS) has begun investigations on the materials needed to build the monster skyscraper.
They are said to be around half a million cubic metres of concrete and approximately 80,000 tonnes of steel, The Saudi Gazette reported.

The skyscraper is intended to be the centrepiece of the Kingdom City development beside the Red Sea and have 200 floors, 160 of which would be habitable.
It is estimated to cost $1.23bn and would be 568ft (173metres) taller than Dubai’s Burj Khalifa tower.
‘ACTS will also deploy special equipment to evaluate the rheological properties of concrete to ensure concrete will be pumpable to very high elevations,’ the article said.

Artists' impressions of the towering structure are pictured
The foundations of the tower will be 200ft deep and have to withstand salt water from the Red Sea, Gizmodo reported, meaning that testing the materials has to be the first item on the building agenda.
The company will looks at the strength of different high performance concretes, as well as which steel to use.
Once they have decided upon the exact materials to use, engineers will have to work out how to pour each floor on top of the last one and it is likely that teams of people will pump millions of tonnes of concrete though a thin, pressurised pipe so that it can be spread out by builders above.

As the tube could be as narrow as six inches and gravity means that it is not easy to pump wet concrete skywards, this could be one of the most challenging pieces of the whole project.
However, a similar technique was used to build the Burj Khalifa skyscraper, which set the world record for the highest concrete pumping.

Engineers managed to deliver six million cubic feet of concrete to higher levels of the building through a single tube and this all had to be done at night so that temperatures were low enough for the concrete to set.
It is not absolutely certain that the Kingdom Tower will be built, but the tests could prove whether it would be possible to create it.
Experts have been discussing whether it is possible to build such a tall skyscraper for a few years, after the project was proposed in 2010.
Dr Sang Dae Kim, the director of the Council on Tall Buildings told Construction Weekly: ‘With Kingdom Tower we now have a design that reaches around one kilometre in height. Later on, someone will push for one mile, and then two kilometres.
‘At this point in time we can build a tower that is one kilometre, maybe two kilometres. Any higher than that and we will have to do a lot of homework.'
‘In terms of practicalities, we don't need to build at two kilometres - but someone with a lot of money might still want to do it.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-building.html

K.S.A, Swiddle liked this post
Riyadh Crusher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:49 PM   #7085
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 891

So we don't know if this building is even possible yet? How hard was it to pump concrete at the top of Burj Khalifa?
tinyslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 01:13 AM   #7086
M0S
A. Weir

Likes (Received): 918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadh Crusher View Post
[B]
It is not absolutely certain that the Kingdom Tower will be built
Just when I was feeling like the dancing banana reading previous posts.

Quick question, because I find conflicting posts on google. When this thing is built, as a non-muslim, will I be able to visit? I am not "trolling", I am legitimately asking and I've read this thread for a while but still am not 100% certain of this.
M0S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 01:14 AM   #7087
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

The great Lauren Bacall.......You just put your lips together and blow.

Its got to be a huge effort to pump 2000 feet straight up. I read that article on another site and also wondered if this thing will even be attempted in the near future.
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 01:55 AM   #7088
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

If they could build Burj Khalifa this shouldn't be a problem.

Airman Kris™ liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:55 AM   #7089
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6524

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
If they could build Burj Khalifa this shouldn't be a problem.
Yes, they did the same at Burj Khalifa. It's an ambitious project no doubt, but they can do that.
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:16 AM   #7090
patrykus

Don't worry people. This article comes from dailymail. Hardly a construction magazine If it wasn't possible to build it they would not even start it or stop at pile/soil testing. Meanwhile the pile foundation was done so the rest of the tower must be doable as well. I'm sure concrete pumping must be major task but I don't think it will be as challenging as the article suggest. I mean they can always spread the task of pumping the concrete to 1000 by setting several pumps every certain number of floors which in consequence would divide task of pumping concrete to 1000m to pumping concrete to say 200m times five. The rest would be just a matter of choosing the right concrete mixture that will not cure too fast before it reaches the top of the structure. In any case I'm certain those are problems engineers works on during designing stage so we are safe and there's nothing to be worried about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0S View Post
Just when I was feeling like the dancing banana reading previous posts.

Quick question, because I find conflicting posts on google. When this thing is built, as a non-muslim, will I be able to visit? I am not "trolling", I am legitimately asking and I've read this thread for a while but still am not 100% certain of this.
As mentioned many times in this thread as of now NO you can't unless:

-you are on bussiness trip (invitation required)
-you have family there that you want to visit
-you are driving trough the country with a transit visa

But as non-muslim tourist you can't. The saudi government keeps saying it will relax tourism restrictions but until now I think still nothing has changed.

M0S liked this post
Old February 27th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #7091
Jason.Choong

Likes (Received): 1

The dusty haze of Saudi Arabia is the pullback of all these skyscrapper.
Jason.Choong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #7092
gan4volta

Likes (Received): 526

I would like to see some pictures of current progress!!!

-J.W.Goethe

Munwon liked this post
gan4volta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 06:07 PM   #7093
miguel perez16

Likes (Received): 28

me too
miguel perez16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #7094
Riyadh Crusher

iamtheSTIG, hqho1671, ZZ-II, Niso, M0S and 4 others liked this post
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #7095
dino2010

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadh Crusher View Post
It's a Woman?
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #7096
Riyadh Crusher

What...?
Old February 28th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #7097
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

his clever joke was implying the resemblance of the site plan to the internal genital organs of a female human

Nneznajka, CrazyDave, aruckert liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 04:03 AM   #7098
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2253

BK set the world's record by pumping concrete 600 meters in the air to where the core finished, and the metal crown section started.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #7099
Riyadh Crusher

Now I got it. Indeed very clever. ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Old February 28th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #7100
mano46
mano46

Likes (Received): 3

I think this should be done before 2022. I have a feeling Jeddah might open to tourism by then and with Qatar 2022 WORLD CUP .. they will capitalize on it
mano46 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest