daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #7341
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

you meant wuhan greenland center?
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #7342
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Wuhan Center, Chicago Post (latest design), Kingdom Tower and one or two other Chinese ones.
Seems like you didn't read my post really.

Chicago one could be the only one except kt but this is more vision at this point than a real proposal.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 03:37 AM   #7343
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Ah, yeah. Only a few have actual pyramidal tapering shapes. But I would still expect more towers of this shape in the future, since y plates hold wind well.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 02:12 PM   #7344
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
But I would still expect more towers of this shape in the future, since y plates hold wind well.
Not really. Burj design requires huge plots due to large footprints. The spire is tall, expensive and empty. The tower generally offers little space for it's height. We will see some more of it in the future but only for worlds tallest structures where height at lowest cost is the major issue.

Look at greenland center. It does have y-shaped core. But other than that is completely different than burj. The tower is not pyramidal, lacks huge thin spire and has space between the core wings. This is the floor plate drawing.

Only the core is three wing. The overall floor plate shape is more triangular. The result? This tower being almost 400m lower than kt still offers more floor space than kt. That makes me quite certain burj pyramidal design won't see much use except for next worlds tallest vanity towers. And mind you even though greenland center is almost completely different than burj it is still the only mega tall in development other than kt that use the y-shaped core.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Last edited by patrykus; April 10th, 2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old April 10th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #7345
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

If you have an office building you want to attract with huge floor space and get many people for a low price . If you build hotel and residential high class buildings you want selling points like huge windows and something like the tallest building in the world are big selling points. So building an expensive huge spire can look like it is a waste of money, but the resulting commercial use it provides makes it worth it again, at least in the hopes of the developers.
Old April 10th, 2014, 02:55 PM   #7346
patrykus

In case of burj the major income comes from the dubai mall and observation deck so it mostly plays a role of a statue. It could very well have had no space at all but the ctbuh wouldn't consider it a building then.

Old April 10th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #7347
patrykus

Anyway burj is mixed use. Greenland Center is half hotel/condo, Zhongnan Center for instance is mostly condo and residential. Both use much more practical designs than burj Even better, condos and apartments are located at upper floors in those towers. It's reversed at burj.

Last edited by patrykus; April 10th, 2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old April 12th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #7348
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Pffffffff, nothing wrong with space efficency and positioning of the segments within the tower, for their intended purpose. The arrangament is the best one for the location and purpose, so stop talking on vacume and with theoritical concepts. The architects and consultans thought of all of that and countless other things that you can't even imagine about the location and what would be around it, what's that the local market needs and can absorb, and came to the conclusion that what we got is the best (for its intended purpose and location)

You've become the nomarandlee of this section: Always the preaching armchair expert of everything and everywhere,especially other places you've never been and things you've never seen

Nothing wrong with opinions, playing the "know it all expert" on the other hand ......
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #7349
patrykus

Burj is not practical design and (despite this obvious denial) you know it. It might be (indirectly) profitable , but that's completely different thing. Selling super cars is indirectly profitable as well and I bet most people even if they could afford one still wouldn't by a Ferrari for other reason as for being a weekend toy.

Old April 13th, 2014, 12:27 AM   #7350
AltinD
The Modecator

Yes, but just like in case of that Ferrari, it was not built for that, so why bring it up as a negative?
I can cheat you blind.

Old April 13th, 2014, 01:28 AM   #7351
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
so why bring it up as a negative?
You said that pal, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
That shape is perfect for impressive but still pretty much statues like burj or kt but not for practical buildings.

Old April 13th, 2014, 04:16 AM   #7352
AltinD
The Modecator

It is practical for residential and hotel space, that most of the tower is comprised of
I can cheat you blind.

Old April 13th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #7353
patrykus

You just admitted it's not made for being practical and now you are on about it again. Make up your mind please

Old April 13th, 2014, 01:47 PM   #7354
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

i like how you two say pretty much the same thing, but just in a different context to make the other one look bad or wrong. it is a neverending spiral with you two, isn't it?

but well, in two weeks it starts rising hopefully as promised and we will have other things to discuss about.
Old April 14th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #7355
patrykus

And I like how some people have this natural ability of omitting ignorance and bias in others. Sorry don't have this in me.

But chin up K we will soon be flooded with countless pointless fanboys posts as you like. Just wait till it goues above ground

Old April 14th, 2014, 12:32 PM   #7356
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

And it's gonna be epic only two weeks left for it to start! If the news releases and rody are correct. Still can't believe it, this building is so tall the pictures will be brilliant. With not much around it will look even taller, remember all the burj khalifa photos of when i was still just a lurker. Breathtaking, and now finished it is just unbelievable. When i stood before it and you look just up and up and up and the building simply does not stop until your neck hurts still feels like it all just was a dream. This building will be even taller. It is a good time to be a skyscraper fan ^_^
Old April 14th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #7357
patrykus

Ha sure it is! I love any single update Rody delivers. Though it is a fact we will be diggim those out of the garbage. But that's little price really

Old April 14th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #7358
Alvi500
Lover of Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 33

April 27th, I cant wait D:

Málaga City

j-biz, fayzoon liked this post
Alvi500 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #7359
Riyadh Crusher

Likes (Received): 2295

Twitter
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #7360
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

Thx for that pic! Looks it's a little older than the pics from Rody.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest